PDA

View Full Version : Bottom Bracket Issue

fatsanta92
06-17-2017, 06:10 PM
It seems in installing my Shimano PF86 the sleeve became misaligned :help: without me noticing :crap: and is now sitting, installed, but not aligned.

I don't have a BB removal tool as this is my first mistake ever with this:( so I've ordered one.

But before I wait till Tuesday, is this causing any undue stress or issues on my carbon frame? The BB is plastic, so it is likely deformed but if I need to run to my LBS as soon as it opens tomorrow, I'd like to know.

Cicli
06-17-2017, 06:12 PM
Its probably not going to hurt it. Carbon is strong stuff.

ultraman6970
06-17-2017, 07:23 PM
If the cups are straight and only the center sleeve is like off a little bit nothing will happen but maybe crack the sleeve at some point, but I really doubt that could happen at all. The sleeve is plastic I imagine? is there to protect not to serve structurally to the cups, plastic usually is really soft in those things aswell.

fatsanta92
06-17-2017, 07:25 PM
If the cups are straight and only the center sleeve is like off a little bit nothing will happen but maybe crack the sleeve at some point, but I really doubt that could happen at all. The sleeve is plastic I imagine? is there to protect not to serve structurally to the cups, plastic usually is really soft in those things aswell.

I wish it was "just a little" but it's noticeable. Really confused on how it happened, never had it happen before.

DavidC
06-18-2017, 12:25 AM
I wish it was "just a little" but it's noticeable. Really confused on how it happened, never had it happen before.

I'm assuming you're also saying you want to ride it before Tuesday when the BB remover comes? Or are you thinking the BB might be doing harm just with the bike sitting there in the stand? For the second question, no.

But if it's that you want to ride it: Does the crank install ok? I'd think if the BB was installed highly misaligned, the crank wouldn't go on.

Also, upon removing the BB when the tool arrives for you on Tuesday, generally these press fit bottom brackets get destroyed. Not broken into pieces, but banged up enough that you can't use them anymore. So be sure to have a new BB on hand for when you remove the current one and it can't be reinstalled.

ultraman6970
06-18-2017, 12:55 AM
BTW how do you know the sleeve is not straight?? the shell is open underneath?? if its open just put electrical tape and good to go.