PDA

View Full Version : ...

cadence90
06-16-2017, 04:38 PM
.... ..

bikinchris
06-16-2017, 05:05 PM
I am thinking of moving from 50/34 to 52/36 chainrings on my 2010 5-bolt 110/112mm BCD 11-S SR crankset.

I am looking at some 36T rings on eBay, and the titles are:

A) "Campagnolo 11-Speed 36t Chainring for Athena, Black"
B) "Campagnolo 11-Speed 36t Chainring for 2011-2014 Super Record, Record and Chorus"
C) "Campagnolo 11-Speed 36t Chainring 2011-2014 Super Record Chorus Threaded"

However, all 3 listings have the same image (see below), so I don't know if the rings are all the same, or if the image is simply a generic one all 3 sellers used. None of the sellers have provided clear and satisfactory replies.

My questions are:
1) Are these 3 listings in fact for the same 36T chainring, or are there differences between "Athena" and "Super Record, Record, and Chorus" rings?

2) Will any/all of these rings fit a 2010 SR 110/112mm BCD crankset?

3) Do these rings require the older 2-part male-female chainring bolts or do they require the newer 1-part threaded bolts?

TIA.

:

The higher end chainrings had coatings to make them tougher.

Some of the crankarms have a different number and position of the arms the chinarings bolt to. In the past, the Record ring had a threaded insert that a bolt behind the crankarm bolted to. So, I say that yes, the rings are probably going to be different.

cadence90
06-16-2017, 05:42 PM
.... ..

oldpotatoe
06-16-2017, 06:14 PM
Thanks.

It would be nice if the sellers (bike shops all) were more expert, with something a bit more helpful than, "Sorry, we don't know." :rolleyes:, and would use actual photos.

Any idea if any/all of those fit this crankset?
https://www.slanecycles.com/images/CampagnoloSuperRecordChainset11Speed2009.jpg
CAMPAGNOLO SUPER RECORD CRANKSET 11 SPEED 2010, 50-34.

Hopefully the CampaSpud will chime in.

'C' sounds like it's the threaded type, using CR bolts that thread into small ring. The other 2 sound more normal, use 2 piece, nut/bolt CR BUT if carbon crank, need Campag specific ones. If metal, more standard CR bolts. ALL hidden bolt Campag cranks, compact will accept any Campag 110/112 CR. Athena not 'treated' so SR/Record(same ring), last a little like longer, Athena silver or black but in actual practice, not much difference.

cadence90
06-16-2017, 06:38 PM
.... ..

nobuseri
06-16-2017, 06:53 PM
If you are looking for chainrings outside the OEM campy type, look at Stronglight CT2 "D," as they will fit that first gen SR. The "D" signifies campy specific, if I remember correctly.

xxcycle usually have them in stock. Might want to check their site and see what's avail.

Like this: https://www.xxcycle.com/stronglight-chainring-110-ct2-outer-11-speed-type-d-campagnolo,,en.php

ultraman6970
06-16-2017, 07:35 PM
Ok, in case you find the case because happened to me... no treaded chainring high end but the holes for the bolts are tad smaller... What i did was to just drill the hole tad bigger (like 2 mm) to make it fit. For this I used my neighbor press drill and a large piece of wood, dont ask me about the drill bit we used because I do not remember but the whole process did not last more then 15 min. At the end had to tad shave the hole with a tiny rounded file, like 30 secs per hole and every turned perfect.

Sure somebody else did something like that but you need a press drill.

cadence90
06-16-2017, 10:12 PM
.... ..

ultraman6970
06-16-2017, 11:44 PM
I had the conversation here about the bolts... but I was trying to put a record chainring into a chorus crankset tho, but now that I remember was the 50T chainring the one that was messing me up because the hole I.D was different, like 1.5 mm smaller than the regular hole for a chorus, the interesting part was that the hole to seat the head of the male bolt was right... have to check the small chainring tho, dont remember if I had to trick it but I think i had to... getting old... :(

cadence90
06-17-2017, 04:54 AM
.... ..

oldpotatoe
06-17-2017, 06:16 AM
Thanks much.

Those prices are certainly appealing. How does Stronglight quality/durability/shifting compare to Campa or the Speciaiites TA rings that Peter White sells?

I'm not really following.

Are you saying that on Campagnolo 11-S chainrings for 5-bolt 110/112mmm BCD which use 2-part (male/female) chainring bolts, you had to drill out the openings in the big ring? That seems very strange. Why would they change that?

I think he means make the holes in the crank spider arms bigger for more conventional CR bolts..wouldn't recommend that. You need the smaller, Campag specific CR bolts for carbon cranks because the holes in the spider arms is smaller.

ultraman6970
06-17-2017, 09:05 AM
As usual potato is right, you have to look it in another way :) the hole ID at the spider is different. My crankset is chorus.

Chile? Well havent been there like in 10 years, politically stable but the weirdest stuff is always happening there, people always threat well to the foreigns specially if you look gringo :D If you go to s/america, do not take jewellery (sp) of any kind and I would advice you to take a plastic watch that only gives you the time and that you wont miss if something happens to it. Take those 2 precautions and all will be just fine.

cadence90
06-17-2017, 02:45 PM
.... ..

choke
06-17-2017, 04:45 PM
Those prices are certainly appealing. How does Stronglight quality/durability/shifting compare to Campa or the Speciaiites TA rings that Peter White sells?I can't speak for durability as I don't have that many miles on them, but I'm happy with the way the Stronglight rings shift and the quality seems good IMO. And as an FYI, Ribble and Wiggle have TA and Stronglight Campy rings..one sells one brand, one the other.

gfk_velo
06-17-2017, 08:29 PM
I am thinking of moving from 50/34 to 52/36 chainrings on my 2010 5-bolt 110/112mm BCD 11-S SR crankset.

I am looking at some 36T rings on eBay, and the titles are:

A) "Campagnolo 11-Speed 36t Chainring for Athena, Black"
B) "Campagnolo 11-Speed 36t Chainring for 2011-2014 Super Record, Record and Chorus"
C) "Campagnolo 11-Speed 36t Chainring 2011-2014 Super Record Chorus Threaded"

However, all 3 listings have the same image (see below), so I don't know if the rings are all the same, or if the image is simply a generic one all 3 sellers used. None of the sellers have provided clear and satisfactory replies.

My questions are:
1) Are these 3 listings in fact for the same 36T chainring, or are there differences between "Athena" and "Super Record, Record, and Chorus" rings?

2) Will any/all of these rings fit a 2010 SR 110/112mm BCD crankset?

3) Do these rings require the older 2-part male-female chainring bolts or do they require the newer 1-part threaded bolts?

TIA.

:
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/0voAAOSwhQhY28r9/s-l1600.jpg

If I have understood you correctly, your 11s Record chainset is the uses two-part chainring bolts, making it definitely a 2009 or 2010 crankset. It's worth pointing that up because if you buy in (say) July or August you could be buying the following year, or the actual years' product - model years don't follow calendar years ...

Campagnolo did not introduce the 52/36 chainring pair (and for them to work properly, you do need them paired) until MY2012 at which point they made two changes that are important to your question (they made others, too but they're not relevant in the context of your query).

The first change was that the CH, RE and SR inside chainring, amongst other changes, had threads added so that a smaller diameter, single piece chainring bolt could be used, to strengthen the tabs on the spider and to increase the rigidity of that area of the chainset as far as was viewed as viable without a complete re-design (which by that stage was already on the CAD machines anyway). Hence the comments in the thread about opening up the holes in the tabs. As Old Potatoe says - don't do it - if one fails it's going to cost you a whole crankset. Drilling carbon is not like drilling metal. When the holes are made in most high quality carbon structures, they are either part of the moulding or they have specific lay-up, very local to the drilling, to spread stress both from having the drilling there at all and also the stress of making the drilling in the first place - when you as an end-user pass a drill through an area like this, you are potentially cutting parts of the lay-up that it would be wiser not to cut and the local heating (even though you think it's not much, at the cutting edge, it's a lot) can do unpleasant things to the resins that hold everything together.

In Athena, the heads of the rear parts of the bolts changed size slightly, as the bolt kit changed part number between 2010 and 2011, from FC-AT100 to FC-AT200. IIRC, the newer bolts had a slightly smaller head size than their predecessors, which had the same head size as CH, RE and SR - so if you try and fit a 36H Athena ring using the old two-part CH, RE, SR bolts, you'll find the heads won't fit the counterbores properly.

You are potentially trying to do something that the crankset design won't allow you to do, without going to third party rings - as it looks as if you are trying to use 52/36 on a crankset that wasn't really designed for it.

Third party rings - I'd say - variable success. I've run them on 10s team bikes (in fact we've run both FSA cranksets and more recently 11s Specialized cranksets because of a sponsorship obligations) and they were mainly OK but we did see an increased rate of LH upshift lever failures and FD cage failures. In consumer situations we have found similar issues as many third party cranks use a generic spacing that is somewhere between Campagnolo spacing and Shimano / SRAM (Campagnolo spacing is set at the ring), plus the ramps and pins don't always pick up as they should. This can affect shifting under load, particularly, also shifting when the FD mounting is maybe not as rigid as it could be / should be. 50/34 is the biggest problem area for this, followed by 52/36 with 53/39 being the most tolerant, provided the rings are on a 130 or 135 BCD. 53/39 on a 110 mm BCD is often mot a good plan - the outer ring is too flexy for the FD to do it's job properly. There are a load of other issues also related to seat angle, FD mount positioning and cassette sizes that can influence what will work acceptably and what won't, which is why consumer hacks have varying degrees of success. A consumer hack that works on a 54 cm frame, 73 deg seat angle, 70 mm BB drop on 53/39 with 12-25 won't necessarily work, or maybe, work as well, on a 62 cm frame with a 71.5 deg seat angle, 80 mm BB drop running 50/34 and 12-29 ...

cadence90
06-17-2017, 09:23 PM
.... ..

oldpotatoe
06-18-2017, 09:17 AM
GFK,
Thank you very much for the extremely thorough reply.

I confirm that the current chainring bolts are 2-part (4 torx on front + 4 slot on rear + the single torx at the crankarm rear). The chainring bolts are stamped "FC-RE303".

The chainrings themselves are labelled "11 SPEED ONLY", "CAMPAGNOLO", and "ESP ACTUATION SYSTEM", and are of course stamped "50/34".

The crankarms are Super Record 11-S Ultra-Torque.

If you have access to these numbers in your records, in order to determine the actual year, and any possible/or not compatibility with Campagnolo 52/36 rings, the crankarm numbers are:

DS white sticker:
FC9-SR540C

DS Campagnolo sticker:
Campagnolo
L 175
OB 790056
SN 0582

The NDS crankarm stickers are all the same, except for:

I would never think of drilling etc, the spider bolt holes!

If I cannot properly mount Campagnolo 52/36 rings on this crankset, I will just leave it at 50/34.

Thanks again.

That's very thorough but I have 36t CRs, Athena, on both my Campagnolo compact cranks, one Record(square taper) and one Athena. So, if the small ring isn't threaded, it will work fine on your crank. As for the 52t..aftermarket for sure as there are really no Campag 52t 110/112mm BCD rings around(5 arm)..I have TA 48t on both cranks and they work great.

cadence90
06-18-2017, 01:46 PM
.... ..