PDA

View Full Version : Please teach me about MTB tires

weisan
06-16-2017, 06:04 AM
I am mostly a roadie and know very little about mountain bikes. One area that I am still trying to grasp is the different tire treads that are best suited for different terrain and riding conditions. Can someone please explain that to me in simple terms? THanks!

dustyrider
06-16-2017, 07:03 AM
The bigger/taller the tire's tread is the more grip and consequently slower rolling the tire will be. There's all kinds of nomenclature for sidewall ratings, so it's best to read the manufacturer's claims/descriptions. When it comes to tire choice, you could look at what other riders have on their bike while riding the trails you see yourself riding or talk to the LBS rider's not sales people. It's also very common to have a tire with very little rolling resistance on the rear, less/smaller tread, and something with more aggressive/bigger tread on the front. You can always post up some tire choices, before you pull the trigger, and we can offer our feedback. A lot will depend on your trail's terrain, but in the end rider preference matters almost just as much.

weisan
06-16-2017, 08:27 AM
Thank you dusty pal.

I have 650b WTB Horizon 47 tires on my Giant at the moment. I am looking for a complimentary pair of tires that will allow me to ride on more aggressive or rugged terrain that involves rocks, steep ramps, tree roots, and slippery stuff...in other words, I want more grip.

lzuk
06-16-2017, 09:00 AM
I like Schwalbe nobby nic on the front and rocket ron on the rear run at around 20 psi . I rode these around Moab, lots of Arizona, North Carolina and your Texas. Never a lack of traction, always a lack of horse power.

p nut
06-16-2017, 09:18 AM
For hard pack, dry trails (which is what I'm assuming you'll be riding 99% of the time there in TX), I'd go with something with smaller knobs. I ride in similar conditions in the high desert (Utah) and love Maxxis tires. I currently have Ardent 2.4" front, Ikon 2.35 rear on one bike, and Vittoria Goma 2.4" front and Ardent Race 2.2" rear on another. Rolls fast over the smooth hardpack, and also gets me through some pretty chunky trails as well. Keep in mind, both bikes have rigid forks, so I appreciate the extra cush from the 2.4" tires up front. If I had suspension, I'd probably go 2.25" Ardent. All tires mentioned are 29".

EDIT: I didn't see your second post. I should read more thoroughly. I would say Ardent front and rear.

pdonk
06-16-2017, 09:43 AM
A few other things to consider. Tire compound and shape of tread.

If tires are sticky they wear fast. They also give great reaction over roots etc. I remember the old Richey red compound and specialized umma gumma would be toast after a few rides.

In terms of shape of tire. Square vs round profile can play a role in handling especially on the front. I find round profile tires tend to wash out more when used on the front and grip better when used on the rear.

I'm still on 26 inch wheels. I like Hutchinson pythons for the rear and the Toro for the front. I prefer a smaller tire on the rear in order for it to "spin" faster and a larger tire on the front. This goes back to the fully rigid days.

Clean39T
06-16-2017, 09:46 AM
http://www.bikepro.com/products/tires/tire_jpg/l2ll_strm_cont_18_tread.jpg

Was my favorite tire last time I was into MTB seriously...it's been 20+ years...probably best that someone else answers this...

Dave B
06-16-2017, 09:56 AM
For what you mentioned, I would look at any of the following. This is a more aggressive tire list, so understand that first.

Kenda Nevegal

Schwalbe nobby nic

Maxxis Ardent

Then if that is too much tread they tend to make similar tires in shorter tread.

Kenda small block 8 or slant 6

Max is crossmark

Schwalbe racing Ralph.

These are my go to tire lists.

Mix and match can be a blast as well.

Mark McM
06-16-2017, 10:00 AM
The bigger/taller the tire's tread is the more grip on loose surfaces and consequently slower rolling the tire will be.

There, I fixed that for you. Tall knobs give lousy traction on hard surfaces. If you're trails have a lot of exposed rock surfaces, you probably don't want to use tires with tall knobs. Also, if you ride on surfaces that tend to be sticky (lots of mud or clay), then you want to have a lot of space between the knobs, so the knobs don't get packed up and loose their ability to dig into the surface.

When it comes to tire choice, you could look at what other riders have on their bike while riding the trails you see yourself riding or talk to the LBS rider's not sales people.

This is the best advice. Every location has different surface conditions, and there is no ideal tire for every condition. Local knowledge is usually best.

Ken Robb
06-16-2017, 10:37 AM
I agree it's all about the best compromise for your conditions. "It never rains in Southern California" so BIG knobs are not for me. The bigger the knobs the worse the ride on pavement. They require more pedaling effort and don't feel secure when heeled over to corner as the traction varies as the tire skips from knob to knob.

Small-to-medium knobs with a rounded profile work well on our mix of hardpack and gravel with occasional bigger rocks and shallow sand.

Tires with smooth centers and aggressive knobs on the sides are an interesting compromise. They roll well on pavement and hardpack and sink into soft surfaces to engage the side knobs off-road BUT--they are spooky when cornering on hard surfaces.

Speaking for myself I avoid riding anywhere that really aggressive knobbies would be ideal.

I just remembered another warning: The tires with supple sidewalls that feel so good on pavement and hardpack are very susceptible to sidewall cuts if you rub rocks, roots, buried pipes(this really happened to me) and medium size sharp rocks buried in gravel. If you will be riding far from your base or car where a sidewall cut would mean a long walk/push consider tires with sturdy sidewalls even if they ride like they were made of wood on pavement.

.RJ
06-16-2017, 10:47 AM
Thank you dusty pal.

I have 650b WTB Horizon 47 tires on my Giant at the moment. I am looking for a complimentary pair of tires that will allow me to ride on more aggressive or rugged terrain that involves rocks, steep ramps, tree roots, and slippery stuff...in other words, I want more grip.

Is this a CX bike? If so, I'be been really happy with WTB Cross Boss for some light singletrack use.

kingpin75s
06-16-2017, 11:07 AM
Are you looking to do aggressive technical riding or just need some tread for traction?

I ask, because a lot of good tires recommended but Nevegals, Nobby Nics and tires like that are heavier, slower rolling and are best suited for aggressive technical riding IMHO.

If you are not doing anything technical but need a little traction and volume, even something like a Thunder Burt may be enough.

RudAwkning
06-16-2017, 11:09 AM
Keep in mind that tire pressure is just as important (if not more) as tread pattern.

ofcounsel
06-16-2017, 12:20 PM
Want max grip (at expense of efficiency)?

Maxxis DHF up front, Maxxis DHR II rear.

Alternative:

Schwalbe Magic Mary up front, Schwalbe Hans Dampf or Nobby Nic in the rear.

andeww
06-16-2017, 12:48 PM
On this list below i had used Kenda small blocks for about 2 years, i decided to switch it up and went to Maxxis Ardents. I was able to clear 2 small climbs that i had never made before. I never thought i needed a more aggressive tire since i had a carbon HT and it ended up making a huge difference. This is short and steep dry/loose socal dirt.

For what you mentioned, I would look at any of the following. This is a more aggressive tire list, so understand that first.

Kenda Nevegal

Schwalbe nobby nic

Maxxis Ardent

Then if that is too much tread they tend to make similar tires in shorter tread.

Kenda small block 8 or slant 6

Max is crossmark

Schwalbe racing Ralph.

These are my go to tire lists.

Mix and match can be a blast as well.

gdw
06-16-2017, 01:13 PM
Dusty gave a decent general summary of tire design and some very sound advice....talk with experienced locals and see what they recommend for the trails in your area. Try to find someone who weighs roughly the same as you and ask them what pressure they run their tires at. Make sure they are using the same set-up, tubes or tubeless, that you intend to ride. Since you're riding a hardtail it would be best to find someone who also rides one with the same wheel size as yours.

ofcounsel
06-16-2017, 01:25 PM
Another good tire that offers a good amount of grip, is fairly low rolling resistance and relatively light is the Maxxis Ardent Race. They came as stock equipment on my Pivot Mach 429SL (an "XC-ish/long day in the saddle" race bike).

I switched to Schwalbe Racing Ralphs once the Ardent Race's were done (because the RR's were a lighter tire). The RR's felt "a little faster" but I found that the Racing Ralphs didn't have as much edge grip and were not as good with sandy tops over hard pack. I switched to a RR rear with Nobby Nic front combo for more grip up front, but may switch back to the Ardent Race tires when the Racing Ralph/Nobby Nic combo is done.

weisan
06-16-2017, 02:29 PM
Huge thanks for all the suggestions and advice so far, very helpful.

HenryA
06-16-2017, 05:27 PM
I'm a big fan of narrower tires with very rounded cross sections, light construction, and small knobs. The "modern original" 650 B MTB tire, the Pacenti Quasi Moto is my go to tire. Tubeless on Stans rims.

https://www.panaracer.com/lineup/mtb.html

I think they are good all purpose tires but for mud. Air them up just right and you get great crisp carvy handling.

Lifecycle
06-16-2017, 08:40 PM
Hans Damph 2.4 front

Knobby Nic 2.35 rear

27.5ers

Not for speed though :(

simplemind
06-17-2017, 09:47 AM
Huge thanks for all the suggestions and advice so far, very helpful.

weisan, I think of mtb tire kinda like fly fishing. You want to choose based on where you're fishing or riding.
Are you thinking of "the Greenbelt", or more like "the Nut"? Two completely different needs, although any tire will get you through, just know the trade-offs.
Greenbelt= heavier/wider/slower. Walnut= lighter/narrower/faster (rolling).
If you want one set to do everything, the Hans Dampf front/Nobby Nic rear is hard to beat.
Now all you have to do is decide which rubber compound you want! ;) Pace Star =faster, longer life, faster rolling. Trail Star= Higher grip, faster wear, slower rolling.
Don't have any experience with their new ADDIX compound, but should be good, once available.
Let me know if you want to spin local trails sometime.