PDA

View Full Version : First Time Serotta owner

Bmellott
08-27-2006, 02:51 PM
Ok, I need somebody to tell me why I just bought a Serotta. I've owned several other custom bikes, aka Carl Strongs, Richard Sachs. etc... however have never really wanted a Serotta. By the way all are steel.

I found a CSI for sale used - even though you can't tell it. The finish is absolutely perfect. I haven't built it up yet but am wondering what it will be like. I've found that my other bikes all have very distinct attributes. The Strongs are the stiffest best crit bikes I've ever owned, the Sachs is a perfect long distance bike, what characteristics should I expect from a Serotta. Will this finally be my jack of all trades? The perfect road race frame? I'm not sure what to expect. I'll probably have it on the road next weekend. I'm just impatient and wished it was ready now. Just looking for feedback from other CSi owners.

saab2000
08-27-2006, 03:11 PM
I got my first Serotta this spring on eBay. They are normally out of my budget, but I won this auction. I have only had steel bikes with the exception of an Eddy Merckx Ti built by Litespeed.

My Serotta is a Colorado III and is the smoothest riding bike I have ever owned. It also is the best handling bike I have ever had, along with my Grandis. They handle differently but the Serotta is extremely stable and just goes where you point it. What is noticable about it is that there is nothing to notice. The handling is just there. I have also owned (and still own) bikes that don't handle that well.

For me the things that stand out are the handling and ride quality.

dave thompson
08-27-2006, 03:36 PM
Ok, I need somebody to tell me why I just bought a Serotta. I've owned several other custom bikes, aka Carl Strongs, Richard Sachs. etc... however have never really wanted a Serotta. By the way all are steel.

I found a CSI for sale used - even though you can't tell it. The finish is absolutely perfect. I haven't built it up yet but am wondering what it will be like. I've found that my other bikes all have very distinct attributes. The Strongs are the stiffest best crit bikes I've ever owned, the Sachs is a perfect long distance bike, what characteristics should I expect from a Serotta. Will this finally be my jack of all trades? The perfect road race frame? I'm not sure what to expect. I'll probably have it on the road next weekend. I'm just impatient and wished it was ready now. Just looking for feedback from other CSi owners.
I think you'll find the Serotta and the Sachs have many of the same characteristics; excellent handling, great road manners, good climbers and demon descenders.

But as Richey told me when I asked him what can I expect from a bike of his that I had just purchased: "..put the keys in the ignition and let her rip!" Do it. Let the bike tell you what it's going to do for you. That's the best way.

Marcusaurelius
08-27-2006, 03:40 PM

I did almost exactly the same thing as the previous person. My Serotta (Colorado III) is the best handling and riding road bike I've ever ridden. It's light years ahead of my Lemond Zurich and Trek 5200. It's also one of most comfortable and stiffest road frames I've ever ridden which may be due in part to the 35mm seat tube. You can't go wrong with a Serotta just be aware that most Serotta frames are custom made and if you are buying used it's good to call Serotta to confirm the geometry. If I had one complaint about Serotta it's the shift away from the downtube shifter boss to the head tube cable stops. It just doesn't work for me but other than that there's not much I would change.

Elefantino
08-27-2006, 04:00 PM
I have owned a CSI and an Atlanta, and while I liked the CSI, I loved the Atlanta and wish I'd never sold it.

CSI was stiffer in the BB, a bit. Atlanta was a better all-day bike, for me.

Am always on the lookout for another Atlanta.

If the Strongs were stiff, the CSI will probably ride like butter for you.

DarrenCT
08-27-2006, 09:45 PM
Thought I'd post a picture of my CSI. Maybe others will also? Have a great day.

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/1169/csixu8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Sandy
08-28-2006, 07:35 AM
I would expect the following:

1. Superb stability at speed

2. Superior efficiency in transforming pedal input into forward motion

3. Remarkable front/rear balance of bike- a oneness feeling

4. Excellent road feel

5. A great deal of fun

Serotta Sandy

Ozz
08-28-2006, 07:54 AM
It kind of depends....

do you have a stock geometry or someone else's custom? If custom, what did they want it to ride like?

Serotta makes a heck of a bike...odds are, you're going to love it.

BTW - congrats and post some pics once you get it built up.

Bmellott
08-30-2006, 12:34 PM
The frame just got here. I'm going to build it up over the weekend. The prior owner took imaculate care of this thing. It is in amazing condition.

I'll post more when it's a full bike.