PDA

View Full Version : Los Angelinos - Ride Info Requested

PBWrench
08-27-2006, 01:55 PM
I'll be in LA this November for several days at a conference at the Westin Bonaventure. Is it practical to bring a bike (+ rent a car) to get away for local rides?

Marco
08-27-2006, 02:15 PM
bring a bike and head west young man...........

Cary Ford
08-27-2006, 03:18 PM
Depends on what kind of time you have - most of the great road riding is along the coast, which would require you to drive from downtown to the beach, (easily 30 minutes or longer in traffic) or ride busy city streets (not recommended unless you're very comfortable in fast, heavy auto traffic) for about 10 miles to get there.

On all road rides out here, except for the very early morning rides, you need to be comfortable with sharing the road with lots of cars being driven very fast by clueless drivers on cell phones who would just as soon run you over than be late to their next appointment. There are several big group rides on the coast on the weekends, but these are geared towards racing and unless you like riding fast in a big pack on open roads, you might find yourself off the back and alone before you know it.

There is a bike path that runs right on the beach from just above Santa Monica all the way south to Redondo Beach/Palos Verdes that is a great, scenic (flora and fauna wise) ride.

grifter
08-27-2006, 04:35 PM
Depends on what kind of time you have - most of the great road riding is along the coast, which would require you to drive from downtown to the beach, (easily 30 minutes or longer in traffic) or ride busy city streets (not recommended unless you're very comfortable in fast, heavy auto traffic) for about 10 miles to get there.

On all road rides out here, except for the very early morning rides, you need to be comfortable with sharing the road with lots of cars being driven very fast by clueless drivers on cell phones who would just as soon run you over than be late to their next appointment. There are several big group rides on the coast on the weekends, but these are geared towards racing and unless you like riding fast in a big pack on open roads, you might find yourself off the back and alone before you know it.

There is a bike path that runs right on the beach from just above Santa Monica all the way south to Redondo Beach/Palos Verdes that is a great, scenic (flora and fauna wise) ride.

Ride down to Union Station, Hop the train to the airport and go down Imperial highway. It t-bones with the beach you can either go down to the bath path and ride South {Manhattan, Redondo beach etc ending up around Palos verdes About a 40 mile loop from Dockwieler beach which would be you starting point.} on the beach or take Vista del mar North and end up at PCH. When you come out of the Hotel, go up to 1st st and ride down until Alameda then make a left and Union station is about 1/4 mile. Do not go down 3st -10st to Alameda. Not a good part of town traffic wise. And the "critters" are all over the place. If you get a car then hop the 110 south to the 105 west and drive until you hit the beach. Park and follow above directions from the beach. Or take the 110 south to the 10 west. The 10 merges with highway 1 {PCH} park and ride but be cautious people fly on that road but you will run into a bunch of riders. Early in the A:m is best, also the beach(Manhattan- redondo} will be full of vollleyballing playing babes, babes riding , babes running, babes walking, etc.............. Good luck, carry a spare or 3. And if you ride far enough north on PCH their is a starbucks right after zuma beach. Poser galore, maybe a Cindy crawford sighting etc......

SoCalSteve
08-27-2006, 07:38 PM
Ride down to Union Station, Hop the train to the airport and go down Imperial highway. It t-bones with the beach you can either go down to the bath path and ride South {Manhattan, Redondo beach etc ending up around Palos verdes About a 40 mile loop from Dockwieler beach which would be you starting point.} on the beach or take Vista del mar North and end up at PCH. When you come out of the Hotel, go up to 1st st and ride down until Alameda then make a left and Union station is about 1/4 mile. Do not go down 3st -10st to Alameda. Not a good part of town traffic wise. And the "critters" are all over the place. If you get a car then hop the 110 south to the 105 west and drive until you hit the beach. Park and follow above directions from the beach. Or take the 110 south to the 10 west. The 10 merges with highway 1 {PCH} park and ride but be cautious people fly on that road but you will run into a bunch of riders. Early in the A:m is best, also the beach(Manhattan- redondo} will be full of vollleyballing playing babes, babes riding , babes running, babes walking, etc.............. Good luck, carry a spare or 3. And if you ride far enough north on PCH their is a starbucks right after zuma beach. Poser galore, maybe a Cindy crawford sighting etc......

Why do you think I ride?

Anyway, what everyone has said so far is great info.

To add to this: If you can manage to start in Malibu (around Pepperdine University) and head north you will find the roads to be much wider and much less traffic. You can take this all the way until PCH ends, about a 50 mile loop. Its a great ride that my wife and I do all summer long.

The riding in Palos Verdes is great as well. You can get there from the bike paths that have been mentioned here or just start in PV and expect some great hill climbing.

If you want group rides, every Saturday AM at 7:30 you can ride with a few different groups that leave from Ocean and San Vicente in Santa Monica. Different groups with different levels going in all directions.

Feel free to PM me for some route maps.

Steve

PBWrench
08-27-2006, 07:49 PM
Thanks to all for the info -- If I bring a bike I'll definitely get a car -- I'm not into urban riding thrills! Do I need to arrange a Crawford sighting in advance or just trust my luck?

SoCalSteve
08-27-2006, 08:02 PM
Thanks to all for the info -- If I bring a bike I'll definitely get a car -- I'm not into urban riding thrills! Do I need to arrange a Crawford sighting in advance or just trust my luck?

Well, I've seen her at the Starbuck (in Trancas) and along the beach (in Zuma). Your luck may vary.

Good luck and feel free to ask for route maps. I have a whole bunch in an MS Excel spreadsheet that I used while coaching Team in Training.

Steve

PBWrench
08-27-2006, 08:07 PM
Steve -- If I decide to bring a bike I'll definitely take you up on your kind offer. Re: Crawford, the closest we get to sexy celebrity in MPLS is Greg Lemond or Prince, although Lohan did film Prairie Home Companion here. That counts for something.

grifter
08-28-2006, 04:01 AM
Well, I've seen her at the Starbuck (in Trancas) and along the beach (in Zuma). Your luck may vary.

Good luck and feel free to ask for route maps. I have a whole bunch in an MS Excel spreadsheet that I used while coaching Team in Training.

Steve

I saw her in the Howes market ....... She is stunning !
I was like "ohhhh crap!"
i wanted to bite her

Avispa
08-28-2006, 10:40 AM
I gather you are back safe and sound! ;)

Hey,

Besides the guys posting here, PM Tom Byrnes and Jack Brunk. They know a lot of people down there and they will be happy to hook up with you and ride.

You have fun, my man, and please no alligators this time!

PS
You still wanna try them GP 4000? It's a free offer, ya know? I'd hate to have to blow up one of those velos out there and make yourself a fool! :D :D

PBWrench
08-28-2006, 01:44 PM
Wasp-Man -- I'm back with no serious damage to report other than six weeks of deconditioning. I ended up with a couple of very nice mtn bike rides but no road riding. I'm actually riding some Vittorias right now that I found buried on my workbench, dusted them off and am enjoying them. I do miss the soft ride of the Velos, but I get that when I throw on the Nimbles with tubies. Are the 4000's that good?? Best to the kitties, PBW

Tom Byrnes
08-28-2006, 01:55 PM
PBWrench,

I live about 20-30 minutes from the Bonaventure Hotel. Depending on when you want to ride, if I am available, I would be love to ride with you. There are some nice places to ride by the beach, expecially in November as the summer beach crowd will be gone. You don't have to go all the way out to Malibu for potential star gazing. You may find some interesting and famous people and sights much closer.

PM me with the details of your stay, bike size, etc.

Tom

Avispa
08-28-2006, 11:05 PM
.... Are the 4000's that good??

Well, not as supple as the Veloflexes, I admit it. But they surely don't flat as often. In any case, with proper inflation and the right wheels, you'll get to love them. They will feel better than most highend clincher, atmo... Just let me know when you'll be ready to try them and I send off a pair!

Regards to all in Siberia! ;)

PS
You heard it from Tom.... he is one great forum pal. Contact him!
On that picture you've attached, which one is me/you... :eek: