PDA

View Full Version : Bike Commuting in North Chicago?

recarcar
06-14-2017, 04:02 PM
Hello All,

Moving from Oakland to Chicago to do a Ph.D. and was wondering if anyone has some experience commuting in North Chicago? I ask because I plan on commuting to school and was wondering how far south I can live from Evanston before it's too far? (My partner wants to be a little further south).

I commuted about 45 minutes from my spot in Oakland to Berkeley and that seems to be about my time limit. We are looking at some spots in Ravenswood but not much further than that. Anyone have some experience doing the commute to Evanston from further south or bike commuting in that area in general? Thanks!

tv_vt
06-14-2017, 04:17 PM
You do realize they have winter in the Windy City, yes?

sales guy
06-14-2017, 04:33 PM
Hello All,

Moving from Oakland to Chicago to do a Ph.D. and was wondering if anyone has some experience commuting in North Chicago? I ask because I plan on commuting to school and was wondering how far south I can live from Evanston before it's too far? (My partner wants to be a little further south).

I commuted about 45 minutes from my spot in Oakland to Berkeley and that seems to be about my time limit. We are looking at some spots in Ravenswood but not much further than that. Anyone have some experience doing the commute to Evanston from further south or bike commuting in that area in general? Thanks!

I used to live at 2900 N. Broadway and rode down towards Comisky, 3500 South. Never had an issue.

I know someone who lives in Evanston and rides to downtown- Works at SRAM, which is like 300 North now. Chitown is awesome for commuting. 500+ miles of bike lanes! The traffic sucks, why own a car? I will say the chance of getting hit is kind of medium-ish. Biggest issue is getting doored. Potholes aren't too awful bad. Traffic, you can get around it super fast on a bike.

You're fine wherever you go.

I miss living there. God was I fit happy. And the amount of things to do....HOLY *****!!!

Ken Robb
06-14-2017, 05:24 PM
I gather you will be attending NU (my alma mater). Can you find a place near the EL so you don't have to cycle when the weather is nasty?

recarcar
06-14-2017, 05:28 PM
You do realize they have winter in the Windy City, yes?

Lol. wasn't aware at all :banana:

recarcar
06-14-2017, 05:29 PM
I used to live at 2900 N. Broadway and rode down towards Comisky, 3500 South. Never had an issue.

I know someone who lives in Evanston and rides to downtown- Works at SRAM, which is like 300 North now. Chitown is awesome for commuting. 500+ miles of bike lanes! The traffic sucks, why own a car? I will say the chance of getting hit is kind of medium-ish. Biggest issue is getting doored. Potholes aren't too awful bad. Traffic, you can get around it super fast on a bike.

You're fine wherever you go.

I miss living there. God was I fit happy. And the amount of things to do....HOLY *****!!!

I gather you will be attending NU (my alma mater). Can you find a place near the EL so you don't have to cycle when the weather is nasty?

Thanks! I will be at NU. We are looking to get as close to the EL as possible for those days. I've also been told the Clark bus is pretty reliable but don't know how so in winter?

Drmojo
06-14-2017, 05:34 PM
I vote Rogers park!!

sales guy
06-14-2017, 05:35 PM
Thanks! I will be at NU. We are looking to get as close to the EL as possible for those days. I've also been told the Clark bus is pretty reliable but don't know how so in winter?

I used to take the Clark bus all the time. It literally stopped outside my place on Broadway. It was super convenient.
In the winter, the buses are still pretty good. What's nice is if you wanted to, walk to the next stop instead of waiting in the cold. I lost so much weight living there by doing that. And walking in general.

But yeah, the Clark bus is solid.

recarcar
06-14-2017, 05:48 PM
I used to take the Clark bus all the time. It literally stopped outside my place on Broadway. It was super convenient.
In the winter, the buses are still pretty good. What's nice is if you wanted to, walk to the next stop instead of waiting in the cold. I lost so much weight living there by doing that. And walking in general.

But yeah, the Clark bus is solid.

I vote Rogers park!!

This is super helpful, thank you! We are looking at a couple spots that are a block away from the Clark bus so that is reassuring.

Looking mainly in Rogers Park, Edgewater, and a few places near Ravenswood.

raygunner
06-14-2017, 06:20 PM
Check out Andersonville or edgewater. Both great areas, lots of transit options and close to the lake front path. From my place in Andersonville I can either drive, take the train or ride to work.

recarcar
06-14-2017, 06:47 PM
Check out Andersonville or edgewater. Both great areas, lots of transit options and close to the lake front path. From my place in Andersonville I can either drive, take the train or ride to work.

Will do! Ideally, we would like to be in Andersonville or Edgewater but are finding fewer places there so we expanded our search to include Ravenswood and RP.

false_Aest
06-14-2017, 06:55 PM
Do you mean North Chicago or the north side of Chicago?

Two different things separated by a decent amount of miles.

FYI. You could live along the Brown line and if you're commute during rush hour, you can transfer to the "Evanston Express" at Belmont -- this will take you to Howard w/out all the stupid stops in the middle.

Otherwise, the Red Line is your JAM.

If you mean North Chicago (the suburb) you can rock the Metra all the way into Evanston.

John H.
06-14-2017, 07:03 PM
That is what I thought- When I was a kid (70's) you would not have wanted to be bike commuting in the city of "North Chicago".

FYI. You could live along the Brown line and if you're commute during rush hour, you can transfer to the "Evanston Express" at Belmont -- this will take you to Howard w/out all the stupid stops in the middle.

If you mean North Chicago (the suburb) you can rock the Metra all the way into Evanston.

sales guy
06-14-2017, 07:17 PM
Funny story....I lived there. Was going to school and managing a Kozy's back in the early 90's. I had heard of 'Cabrini Green' and all the stuff going on there but didn't know where it was. Had no clue. I used to walk or take the EL or the bus. It just depended on what I felt like and if something was coming or not. I walked thru Cabrini Green one night at like 9pm in the summer. Had ZERO idea till I told someone at work the next day. They thought I was insane. Surprised I wasn't dead too.

Honestly, I walked thru it and everyone was nice. Said hi and everything. After I found out it was wild tho.

I used to manage two shops. Service Manager at the N. Halstead store and Store and Service Manager at the original 35th Street store right by the Wrigley plant. They used to bring in prototype gum to try all the time. Wild flavors like buttered popcorn. it smelled like Juicy Fruit all day long. Ugh. Made you sick after a couple days.

Whatever you do, wherever you go, talk to some clubs in the area. There are TONS of cyclists and cycling forums/groups in the area. You can find someone to ride with to and from work. You won't be alone. That's what's really nice about that town. And 90% of the cyclists in Chitown are really nice. Oh, and there are some amazing shops. Most overcharge, but they are stupidly knowledgable.

I miss that place. Even the winters.

recarcar
06-14-2017, 07:37 PM

Thanks! Looking to stay in the north side of Chicago. There is one place we are looking at near the brown line. Thanks for the tip!

Funny story....I lived there. Was going to school and managing a Kozy's back in the early 90's. I had heard of 'Cabrini Green' and all the stuff going on there but didn't know where it was. Had no clue. I used to walk or take the EL or the bus. It just depended on what I felt like and if something was coming or not. I walked thru Cabrini Green one night at like 9pm in the summer. Had ZERO idea till I told someone at work the next day. They thought I was insane. Surprised I wasn't dead too.

Honestly, I walked thru it and everyone was nice. Said hi and everything. After I found out it was wild tho.

I used to manage two shops. Service Manager at the N. Halstead store and Store and Service Manager at the original 35th Street store right by the Wrigley plant. They used to bring in prototype gum to try all the time. Wild flavors like buttered popcorn. it smelled like Juicy Fruit all day long. Ugh. Made you sick after a couple days.

Whatever you do, wherever you go, talk to some clubs in the area. There are TONS of cyclists and cycling forums/groups in the area. You can find someone to ride with to and from work. You won't be alone. That's what's really nice about that town. And 90% of the cyclists in Chitown are really nice. Oh, and there are some amazing shops. Most overcharge, but they are stupidly knowledgable.

I miss that place. Even the winters.

Looking forward to living in Chicago. The first American city I'm actually looking forward to living in.

sales guy
06-14-2017, 07:47 PM
OP, there is so much to do there. They have citywide scavenger hunts. Instead of bike month, it's bike summer! Something bike related every single day!!! The Chicago Triathlon which is awesome- i've done it many many times before. The food, OMG!! The Taste of Chicago! HOLY WOW! Lollapalooza. The Jazz clubs. The Cubs and Wrigley Field. The shopping. It's freaking incredible.

You will love it there.

melonyogloo
06-14-2017, 07:59 PM

Back in the day, I was told not to cross the brown line EL track if you were on Division and Wells.

Kozy!! I bought my first pair of cycling shorts at the 35th St. store in 1994. Small world.

sales guy
06-14-2017, 08:07 PM
Back in the day, I was told not to cross the brown line EL track if you were on Division and Wells.

Kozy!! I bought my first pair of cycling shorts at the 35th St. store in 1994. Small world.

Yep, I worked there and managed it in 1994. I floated to all 5(including the old Gun Club on the lake.

i was never told about the "bad areas". but i was told about the good food places! down by the 35th st kozys, there was a Mexican convenient store that made the best tacos and burritos!

Fatty
06-14-2017, 08:31 PM
Rogers Park might be a good bet. You could practically walk to Northwestern from there. Why not consider Evanston itself? Real nice area.

recarcar
06-14-2017, 09:37 PM
Rogers Park might be a good bet. You could practically walk to Northwestern from there. Why not consider Evanston itself? Real nice area.

My partner is probably going to be working in downtown Chicago so we want to find a place that is not too far north to cut her potential commute time down a bit.

false_Aest
06-14-2017, 10:04 PM
My partner is probably going to be working in downtown Chicago so we want to find a place that is not too far north to cut her potential commute time down a bit.

Bruh, if you're partner is working downtown then Evanston might work especially if he/she takes the Metra or Evanston Express during rush hour.

If I could live anywhere in Chicago at this point I'd look at the apartments near Sheridan in Rodgers Park, near Davis or Dempster in Evanston, Lincoln Square, or Pilsen (because I live in LA now and that's really the only place to get decent Mexican in Chicago).

PS. I'd also consider Bridgeport but that's because I grew up in Chicago.

charliedid
06-14-2017, 10:32 PM
This is super helpful, thank you! We are looking at a couple spots that are a block away from the Clark bus so that is reassuring.

Looking mainly in Rogers Park, Edgewater, and a few places near Ravenswood.

I've lived in Rogers Park for 30 years and have been a commuter as long. I work in Ravenswood (shop) and the commute is easy as pie. PM me if you have any questions.

recarcar
06-14-2017, 10:48 PM
Bruh, if you're partner is working downtown then Evanston might work especially if he/she takes the Metra or Evanston Express during rush hour.

If I could live anywhere in Chicago at this point I'd look at the apartments near Sheridan in Rodgers Park, near Davis or Dempster in Evanston, Lincoln Square, or Pilsen (because I live in LA now and that's really the only place to get decent Mexican in Chicago).

PS. I'd also consider Bridgeport but that's because I grew up in Chicago.

Good point! Didn't think about that option. I think we are trying to avoid the Evanston area simply because we want less of a university neighborhood vibe. But I may be misjudging the area a bit.

We were thinking about Ravenswood because we found an idea place there and because it's in between Lincoln Square and Andersonville. Thanks for the tips! I'll keep an eye out for places around that area in Rogers Park.

I've lived in Rogers Park for 30 years and have been a commuter as long. I work in Ravenswood (shop) and the commute is easy as pie. PM me if you have any questions.

Thank you! :beer:

soupless
06-14-2017, 11:17 PM
Whomever said something about living along the brown line and then taking it down to belmont to hop on the evanston express is on to something.

I much preferred the neighborhoods along the brown line (roscoe village, north center, lincoln squre) than the stuff along the red line.

smontanaro
06-15-2017, 06:15 AM
I live in Evanston, work in the Loop (on Metra as I write this). I didn't see it mentioned, but DIVVY Bikes are now scattered around Evanston. Certainly in good weather that would be an option (a very heavy option) allowing you to broaden your search away from CTA and Metra lines. They are full fendered, so work in the winter as well.

Also, there is the Yellow Line CTA to Skokie (meets up with Red and Purple lines at Howard, short walk or DIVVY ride to Rogers Park Metra), so Skokie might be an option.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

false_Aest
06-15-2017, 08:47 AM
I dunno I grew up in that area (Skokie) I dont think Evanston has a college vibe unless you're close to Northwestern.

Skokie Swift (Yellow Line) is easy. I don't recommend Skokie though mostly because it's boring AF but I'm biased.

Ken Robb
06-15-2017, 09:10 AM
I dunno I grew up in that area (Skokie) I dont think Evanston has a college vibe unless you're close to Northwestern.

Skokie Swift (Yellow Line) is easy. I don't recommend Skokie though mostly because it's boring AF but I'm biased.
Maybe, but the fabulous burgers and onion rings at Hackney's make up for some of the boredom. :-)

gospastic
06-15-2017, 11:06 AM
I know people that live in Evanston and work in Wicker Park. Their bike commute is about 35-40 minutes elapsed time. You can live pretty much anywhere on the north side and be a 45 minute or less bike ride from Evanston.

smontanaro
06-15-2017, 01:07 PM
Before my crash, I was commuting regularly between Evanston and the Loop. For me (aging and always rather pokey), it was 65-75 minutes, depending on how motivated I was (and how congested the route was). I haven't ridden to work since the crash. Not sure when or if I'll start commuting by bike again.

smontanaro
06-15-2017, 01:08 PM
Maybe, but the fabulous burgers and onion rings at Hackney's make up for some of the boredom. :-)

And they aren't even in Skokie (Glenview). :)

Ken Robb
06-15-2017, 02:11 PM
And they aren't even in Skokie (Glenview). :)
Is Big Herms still open in Skokie?

marsh
06-15-2017, 02:39 PM
You could also look near the Clybourn Metra stop (Bucktown off the 606 trail) -
In the dead of winter you can get to Evanston and your S.O. downtown within
minutes on the Metra. CTA is a tough go on really bad weather days. Plus you are a short ride to the lakefront. I live near there and can get to Evanston easily in ~ 40 minutes. Plus riding outbound you can bring your bike and ride back if you are pressed for time.

Having said all that, Andersonville/Edgewater is my favorite part of town by far.

smontanaro
06-15-2017, 03:07 PM
Is Big Herms still open in Skokie?

Assuming you mean Herm's Palace (http://hermspalace.com/), yes, on Dempster, just west of McCormick.

chwupper
06-15-2017, 03:16 PM
Good point! Didn't think about that option. I think we are trying to avoid the Evanston area simply because we want less of a university neighborhood vibe. But I may be misjudging the area a bit.

We were thinking about Ravenswood because we found an idea place there and because it's in between Lincoln Square and Andersonville. Thanks for the tips! I'll keep an eye out for places around that area in Rogers Park.

Thank you! :beer:

If you want to avoid a university vibe, around Sheridan in Rogers Park is not the place for you. That's right by Loyola! :p

I live in Rogers Park and love it, but Ravenswood is a wonderful neighborhood, too. Nice and residential. As others have said, easy to get up to Evanston on a bike; easy to get downtown on the Brown line; etc etc etc.

Enjoy! :beer:

genbar
06-15-2017, 04:00 PM
Also be aware that if you move to anywhere on the west/northwest side (Bucktown/Logan Sq/Wicker Park), getting to Evanston via purple line is still very feasible (via combination of CTA bus or Blue Line) if you don't want to ride during winter months.

That said, Andersonville/Rogers Park/Edgewater/Uptown would put you pretty close to school if that's your cuppa tea.

Ken Robb
06-15-2017, 06:07 PM
Assuming you mean Herm's Palace (http://hermspalace.com/), yes, on Dempster, just west of McCormick.

That's the place. I read on the site that Herm sold it in 1974 and those buyers have since passed the business on to their kids. I went there in the 1960s and I think we called it "Big Herms". We may have been joking about the stature of Herm if that was not the official name of the place back then.

We have a couple of places in San Diego where we can get a good hot dog, Italian beef, and pizza but we pay more than the prices at Herm's Palace.

sales guy
06-15-2017, 06:19 PM
Philly's Best is awesome. Turkey breast oven grinder.

Yango's is great for cheap burgers.

robin3mj
06-15-2017, 08:50 PM
Ravenswood would be a good middle ground for the NU/Downtown split.
I would not want to be riding LFP->Sheridan to get to NU from the city, there's got to be a better way during rush hour. It was bad enough on weekends.

Or the Damen stop on the brown line- literally next to Turin Cycles.

gavingould
06-15-2017, 08:55 PM
i live in northwest Chicago and work in Ravenswood. I'd think Ravenswood would be pretty ideal for your/your spouse's needs for commuting.
it's a quick ride up Damen/Ravenswood to the south end of Evanston.
it's a common route for group rides from the city on weekends, heading from Chicago to Highland Park and points beyond.

traffic can be brutal.

smontanaro
06-15-2017, 09:02 PM
I would not want to be riding LFP->Sheridan to get to NU from the city, there's got to be a better way during rush hour. It was bad enough on weekends.

I can offer some alternatives. Unfortunately, my crash in February was on one of the alternatives, demonstrating there is no perfect route.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

recarcar
06-16-2017, 11:49 AM
You could also look near the Clybourn Metra stop (Bucktown off the 606 trail) -
In the dead of winter you can get to Evanston and your S.O. downtown within
minutes on the Metra. CTA is a tough go on really bad weather days. Plus you are a short ride to the lakefront. I live near there and can get to Evanston easily in ~ 40 minutes. Plus riding outbound you can bring your bike and ride back if you are pressed for time.

Having said all that, Andersonville/Edgewater is my favorite part of town by far.

If you want to avoid a university vibe, around Sheridan in Rogers Park is not the place for you. That's right by Loyola! :p

I live in Rogers Park and love it, but Ravenswood is a wonderful neighborhood, too. Nice and residential. As others have said, easy to get up to Evanston on a bike; easy to get downtown on the Brown line; etc etc etc.

Enjoy! :beer:

Thanks everyone! :beer: This is has been really helpful in narrowing down neighborhoods!

recarcar
06-16-2017, 11:52 AM
Ravenswood would be a good middle ground for the NU/Downtown split.

Or the Damen stop on the brown line- literally next to Turin Cycles.

i live in northwest Chicago and work in Ravenswood. I'd think Ravenswood would be pretty ideal for your/your spouse's needs for commuting.
it's a quick ride up Damen/Ravenswood to the south end of Evanston.
it's a common route for group rides from the city on weekends, heading from Chicago to Highland Park and points beyond.

traffic can be brutal.

We found the perfect spot in Ravenswood but since we aren't physically in Chicago at the moment I think the landlord is a little skittish renting to us. But keeping my fingers crossed that the Ravenswood place works out. Thanks again!!

rzthomas
06-16-2017, 08:40 PM
We lived in Ravenswood at Damen and Winnemac for 5 years before moving to the 'burbs. We LOVED the area: easy access downtown via CTA/Metra, easy parking, lots to do, and good access to riding routes. I miss the area quite a bit.

robin3mj
06-17-2017, 12:02 AM
Glenn's Diner, Spacca Napoli, and obviously Half Acre.
Thank me later.

recarcar
06-17-2017, 01:42 PM
We lived in Ravenswood at Damen and Winnemac for 5 years before moving to the 'burbs. We LOVED the area: easy access downtown via CTA/Metra, easy parking, lots to do, and good access to riding routes. I miss the area quite a bit.

Glenn's Diner, Spacca Napoli, and obviously Half Acre.
Thank me later.

:beer: