PDA

View Full Version : Question on Center Lock tool for retainer on 12mm TA hub

DRZRM
06-14-2017, 09:52 AM
So, I'm building a bike for my friend and neighbor, and he got Shimano XT trail wheels with CL. The rear is 142x12mm TA. I'm familiar with the retaining ring Shimano sells for the front axle for 15 or 20mm TA. The wheelset came with one and I used it on the front wheel.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51MzjOh83QL.jpg

But as it says in big white letters "15/20 Thru Axle Only" I assume I can use the traditional retainer that comes with the rotor (same as a cassette retainer I believe) on the rear, but my Park tool (P-5?) will not clear the Thru Axle.

Is there a Shimano (or Pedros or whatever) tool that will definitely fit over a Shimano 12mm TA hub to put on the Shimano retainer that comes with the XT level CL Ice-Tech rotor? Does someone with experience have a link?

Or should I use the 15/20 TA retainer on a 12mm hub? I likely have one laying around.

thermalattorney
06-14-2017, 10:06 AM
Or should I use the 15/20 TA retainer on a 12mm hub? I likely have one laying around.

You should be fine to use a 15/20 one. AFIAK there aren't "12mm-specific" lockrings. :beer:

Gummee
06-14-2017, 12:29 PM
your regular Shimano BB tool (BBT9 from Park) should fit fine on that lockring

Yes, there's a specific socket/lockring tool that fits over the axles, but if you're only doing a few, use the old-style BBT9-style tool

M

ColonelJLloyd
06-14-2017, 12:52 PM
For 12mm axles you can use the normal QR centerlock lockring installed with the Park Shimano cassette tool.

At least I was able to do this with SRAM 900 and DT 350 hubs using the Park tool (http://www.parktool.com/product/cassette-lockring-tool-with-5mm-guide-pin-fr-5-2g?category=Cassette%20%26%20Freewheel) that has the guide pin.

batman1425
06-14-2017, 12:53 PM
Should be fine. The 15/20 lockring is tightened with a standard external BB wrench in contrast to the cassette tool used on the "regular" 12mm version. The potential incompatibility is when using the cassette tool style lockring on a 15 or 20mm TA. The inner diameter is too narrow to fit around a 20mm, and it's a real tight fit on a 15 which may not allow your lock ring tool to fit inbetween the axle and the splines to tighten it down - depends on your specific tool. Mine squeezes in, but only just. Regardless, this will work fine for your application.

rwerkudara
06-14-2017, 01:09 PM
I use the '15/20' one my wheelset now. Front is 12x100, rear is 12x142. No problems whatsoever.

FriarQuade
06-14-2017, 01:34 PM
Some of the Shimano socket style lockring tools will bottom out on the 12mm axle before the lockring is tight. I know ours (https://www.abbeybiketools.com/collections/best-sellers/products/dual-sided-crombie-tool) works without issue.

.RJ
06-14-2017, 05:46 PM
I use an ooooold shimano BB tool, its just a 1/16" flat plate with a handle attached, maybe Pedros brand? Works awesome for lock rings.

sales guy
06-14-2017, 06:58 PM
Lots of interesting answers except they are pointing you the wrong way. That lockring doesn't use an internal splined tool. That uses the standard Shimano bottom bracket tool to tighten. It looks like this one. You can get a socket style one from a bunch of people. But it's not the splined style like Abbey and others mentioned for this lockring.

AS for the question of if it will work, Yes, it will work. It works just fine.

ColonelJLloyd
06-14-2017, 08:27 PM
Lots of interesting answers except they are pointing you the wrong way. That lockring doesn't use an internal splined tool. That uses the standard Shimano bottom bracket tool to tighten. It looks like this one. You can get a socket style one from a bunch of people. But it's not the splined style like Abbey and others mentioned for this lockring.

AS for the question of if it will work, Yes, it will work. It works just fine.

Well, you're the expert. Looks like all the rest of us didn't read the OP as thoroughly as you did. <cough>

sales guy
06-14-2017, 08:35 PM
Well, you're the expert. Looks like all the rest of us didn't read the OP as thoroughly as you did. <cough>

Wasn't a dig at anyone. Some of the comments and tool options were excellent. But for that lockring, which by the way, is really nice. It's strong and holds well. For that lockring, it uses the external splines for tightening. That wrench I put up is super common and has been used since SHimano came out with the Hollowtech 2 BB. Shimano makes one that is open-ended. Park makes a couple others. Also socket types from Park, Pedro's and Abbey.

The 12mm/15/20mm axle comments, they want to make sure there is space or no space. That's all there is to it. I only use Shimano lockrings UNLESS there is one specifically from a wheel company like Reynolds. Which, by the way, the Reynolds one is an exact copy of the Shimano one.

bewheels
06-14-2017, 08:37 PM
Perhaps it just me and I am tired but the question is a little hard to follow.

As mentioned, the Abby tool works awesome for installing the lock ring that has the internal spline interface.
The tool that Salesguy is showing is perfect for the lock ring that has the external spline interface - as shown in the OP's post.

Then there is the question about which lock ring to use.
The one with the external splines can be used on basically any set up. There may be rare instances in which the thickness of the lock ring hits something. Again, rare.

Some spline tools are not deep enough to allow the ring to be properly seated because it will bottom out on the end of the axle before the ring is all the way down. The Abby tool makes this a none issue...and is an all around great tool.

The one with the internal splines makes for a nice clean mount but doesn't work with larger axle diameters. This includes some 12mm axles. Because there isn't enough gap between the outside of the axle and the inside of the lock ring to slide the tool into.

.RJ
06-15-2017, 07:19 AM
Also, some of the hubs I've used, you wont be able to get an internal spline lockring tool to tighten it down - you need to remove a hub end cap, tighten the lockring, then replace the end cap. Confused me a bit at first.

ColonelJLloyd
06-15-2017, 09:52 AM
Wasn't a dig at anyone.

Despite the pictured lockring, which the OP stated he installed without issue, the question in the OP seems to me to be "what tool will give me the clearance to install a QR centerlock (aka cassette) lockring on a hub with a 12mm axle". And this is the question that I and others answered and that you stated were pointing the OP in the wrong direction.

Is there a Shimano (or Pedros or whatever) tool that will definitely fit over a Shimano 12mm TA hub to put on the Shimano retainer that comes with the XT level CL Ice-Tech rotor? Does someone with experience have a link?