PDA

View Full Version : Campagnolo Chris King R45 shifting issues

r_mutt
06-13-2017, 10:12 PM
Hello all,

I have a set of Enve 6/7 from 2014 with CK R45's. This is a set reserved for racing so when my bike's derailleur's are tuned up, it's usually in a set of WI hubs or a Campagnolo Shamal. For some reason, whenever I swap from my training wheelset to the Enve's, the bike doesn't shift very well at all. I've found his to be true across 3 different bikes. It's reluctant to go into a bigger gear and refuses to go into my biggest sprocket (23).

My mechanic says that all hubs are different and some require spacers to work properly to match the gear spacing of other wheel sets. Is anyone else having wonky shifting when switching wheels from a particular brand to CK R45?

FlashUNC
06-13-2017, 10:15 PM
Yeah, that's not all that unusual.

I've had some small tweaks even among Campy hubs -- Shamals vs Hyperons, for example.

thirdgenbird
06-13-2017, 10:21 PM
There is variation on where cassettes sit betweeen dropouts. No personal experience, but I've heard Campagnolo hubs and CK hubs are at opposite ends of the range and swapping between the two without derailleur adjustment won't work well.

In my experience, Campagnolo wheels and white industries t11 hubs can be swapped without much if any issue. I tried some DT hubs and I needed to make adjustments. I ended up selling the DT hubs and now evetything I own has a Campagnolo/fulcrum hub or t11.

I can run any campag/t11 wheel with a small turn of the barrel adjuster. The DT hub required changing the limit screws and cable tension. I hear going from Campagnolo to CK also requires limit screw changes or the derailleur can hit the spokes.

parallelfish
06-13-2017, 10:54 PM
Agree with the others here - there are differences in flange spacing...etc. among the various hubs. Not unusual to have to make some adjustment when changing wheels.

I have multiple wheels built on campy hubs, as well as Enve 3.2 wheels built on CK campy hubs. I can swap any of these freely with no adjustment. Swapping to the one wheel set built on White Industry hubs requires a tension adjustment.

bismo37
06-13-2017, 11:30 PM
Guess I've been lucky. I haven't had any issues swapping wheels with Campy, Fulcrum, WI and Mavic hubs across a handful of Campy bikes. Guess I'll avoid CK hubs if that's the case.

moobikes
06-14-2017, 07:22 AM
All you need to do is adjust the limit screws. The adjustment is small, within 1 turn of each screw. No big deal if you mark the position of the screws so switching wheels is easier. For fine tuning use the barrel adjuster.

thwart
06-14-2017, 07:33 AM
It's reluctant to go into a bigger gear and refuses to go into my biggest sprocket (23).

My mechanic says that all hubs are different and some require spacers to work properly to match the gear spacing of other wheel sets. Is anyone else having wonky shifting when switching wheels from a particular brand to CK R45?

Spacer is the answer if shifting up and down the cassette is a bit off. If not, the limit screw sounds right.

Good hubs, and worth the trouble to fine tune with a spacer or RD limit screw to allow easy wheel changes.

IME, having to adjust RD position with wheel changes is definitely Plan B.

oldpotatoe
06-14-2017, 07:40 AM
Hello all,

I have a set of Enve 6/7 from 2014 with CK R45's. This is a set reserved for racing so when my bike's derailleur's are tuned up, it's usually in a set of WI hubs or a Campagnolo Shamal. For some reason, whenever I swap from my training wheelset to the Enve's, the bike doesn't shift very well at all. I've found his to be true across 3 different bikes. It's reluctant to go into a bigger gear and refuses to go into my biggest sprocket (23).

Common, cogset placement in relation to the rear der a wee bit different on some hubs.

sales guy
06-14-2017, 08:33 AM
going from one wheel to another is really common. Especially if it is a factory brand wheel- Campagnolo, SHimano, SRAM, Fulcrum.

Some are better than others. And oddly, you'd think the US made ones would be spot on, it turns out normally the Asian made ones are closest.

For some reason tho CK is usually off the most. WI is pretty close to factory. DT, pretty close to factory.

But it's normal. You just need to adjust things when you switch, stick with factory wheels or stick with one off brand.

r_mutt
06-14-2017, 08:50 AM
thanks gents-

i didn't have this issue when i interchanged from Campagnolo hubs to DT Swiss years ago.

sales guy
06-14-2017, 09:04 AM
thanks gents-

i didn't have this issue when i interchanged from Campagnolo hubs to DT Swiss years ago.

As I mentioned, DT is super close to factory wheels. Not sure why Kings aren't. But it's a whatever.

r_mutt
06-14-2017, 10:06 AM
:beer: