PDA

View Full Version : Century rides in VA or NC in September?

saab2000
08-26-2006, 08:04 PM
Title says it all. Any suggestions?

djg
08-26-2006, 08:09 PM
This may be a little further north than you had in mind, but the Civil War Century--sponsored by the Baltimore Bicycling Club--is a nice ride.

http://www.baltobikeclub.org/index.pl/cwc

saab2000
08-26-2006, 08:21 PM
It would be perfect. Alas, I will be in Milwaukee........ Not a bad thing by itself, but I won't have my bike with me either.

Milwaukee is kool. It is close to home. I can speak my own little Wisconsin/Cheesehead accent and even find German speaker still if I look closely.

But no bike at the Clarion at the airport.

To be honest, October would be better since I will be in Milwaukee ever single weekend in September........ unless someone wants to do a mid-week century with me in Virginia or NC in September, which I would be happy to do.

Even Florida in October... Keith A?

Phil Selisker
08-26-2006, 09:41 PM
check out the "great peanut tour" emproria va,
http://www.greatpeanuttour.com/profile.htm
great people and rides. :)

Tailwinds
08-26-2006, 10:03 PM
Six-Gap in Northern GA is a GREAT ride... 100 miles w/10,000' of climbing.

Or -- check out Bridge-to-Bridge in NC (Sep., I think) which ends w/a killer climb up Grandfather Mtn.

Lifelover
08-26-2006, 10:32 PM
You should be able to google the links but for Oct. there is the Seagull Century and Between the waters century. Both are Flat rides on the eastern shore.

Bridge to Bridge is a well supported and good ride. I did the 75 mile last year. Grand Father Mountain is a tough climb if you are into that kind of pain.

Some day trips to the Blue Ridge parkway are a must if you have not ridden there before.

Rapid Tourist
08-27-2006, 07:48 AM
The POtomac Peddler's Century (DC area bike club) is in September in VA. Check out

www.bikepptc.org

Smiley
08-27-2006, 08:28 AM
Hey Saab and Tourist has paid your entry fee already , just ask her :)

harlond
08-27-2006, 09:35 AM
Here's a century starting near Richmond around 9/17.

http://www.raba.org/HOVA/HeartofVA_Full_Info.html

palincss
08-27-2006, 06:23 PM
The POtomac Peddler's Century (DC area bike club) is in September in VA. Check out

www.bikepptc.org

The Potomac Pedalers century is on Sept. 17 in Berryville VA., starting from Clarke County HS. Pre-Registration Fees are $25 for PPTC Members; $35 for Non-Members.

yeehawfactor
08-27-2006, 06:34 PM
bridge to bridge is epic, but expensive and registration has closed. a lot of people here are boycotting and doing the six gap ride, as it's cheaper, harder, and has more climbing

saab2000
08-27-2006, 07:43 PM
I intend to go over to the Blue Ridge Parkway. That sounds awesome. I will drive over one day and ride and ride and ride and maybe spend the night and do it again the next day. That will likely be my century.

Fat Robert
08-27-2006, 07:55 PM
let me know when you come down, saab-j

really, there are more civilized rides than the parkway. all that climbing isn't good for you.

as for the weight thing -- try to do some strength training twice a week, especially when you're on the road. nothing heavy -- sets of 15-20 reps to failure. it will raise your metabolic weight and help with shedding the pudge.

it won't kill your spin: it will take a few weeks to adapt, but as long as you spin low gears on the bike, you won't lose that. the guys who say weights kill your spin are lifting heavy during the winter, not doing any high cadence riding, and then when they ride like slugs in the spring they say "gee, the weights killed my cadence."

it will help your sprint by a little bit. it will help with weight control/loss by a lot. it will help with maintaining bone density.

it won't make much of a difference in your performance on the bike. but, for a master's age athlete, I think the general training benefits of weights are worth two trips to the gym each week...especially the weight management and bone density benefits.

Serotta PETE
08-28-2006, 09:46 AM
Title says it all. Any suggestions?

Labor Day at Pinehurst (Tour D"Moore)

Fat Robert
08-28-2006, 10:18 AM
What we need is a NC forum ramble

Who's the cruise director? Who's the cat who can organize such a thing and show everybody a good time?

sspielman
08-28-2006, 10:45 AM
I intend to go over to the Blue Ridge Parkway. That sounds awesome. I will drive over one day and ride and ride and ride and maybe spend the night and do it again the next day. That will likely be my century.

I have a brother-in-law in Lynchburg.....So, I try to make sure that I take my bike on visits to take advantage of the great cycling on the BR PKWY One sunday morning last summer, I rode for 4 hours and saw no more than 20 cars and motorcycles the entire time...no exaggeration....Great tempo climbing with lots of stuff at 4-5% for a LONG time...

znfdl
08-28-2006, 10:48 AM
Labor Day at Pinehurst (Tour D"Moore)

Pete:

Tour D Moore is one of my worst cycling experiences ever. Back in the ;ate 80s I was taking part in the Cat 3 race when a car decided to drive head first into the pack. Man was that Ugly.

Saab:
If you come to NOVA I am willing to do a century almost any day of the week :D

Tailwinds
08-28-2006, 10:51 AM
Keep us posted if there is a gathering. If it fits into my schedule, I'd love to do some more riding in the Smokies.

Serotta PETE
08-28-2006, 11:18 AM
Pete:

Tour D Moore is one of my worst cycling experiences ever. Back in the ;ate 80s I was taking part in the Cat 3 race when a car decided to drive head first into the pack. Man was that Ugly.

Saab:
If you come to NOVA I am willing to do a century almost any day of the week :D

I recall that event and it was terrible for the car "plowed" right past the supprt vehicles and into the riders. Very tragic.

The riding down there is beautiful and if as safe as anywhere in the area. Most everytime I go down it rains though. I will probably do a ride in CARY that day. (wish I was close to NOVA for a ride.)

PETE