PDA

View Full Version : Flat Bar shifter options?

paredown
06-13-2017, 10:40 AM
Idly thinking about converting a bike into a town bike with flat bars.

I remember seeing Campy Veloce flat bar shifters (10 speed) in passing.

Are there similar options available for Shimano--probably standard 8 speed? What does one do for brake levers?
Stems?

Go easy on me--this is a whole new daydream!

gdw
06-13-2017, 10:57 AM
An MTB shifter and possibly a rear derailleur paired with an old set of cantilever mtb brake levers are all you need for the drivetrain and brakes. Stem choice depends upon how you want to use the bike. Do you want an aggressive position or relaxed? Start off with your existing stem and see if it meets your needs.

oliver1850
06-13-2017, 11:14 AM
I used Shimano Deore Mega9 shifters with integrated V brake levers on my CAAD3 flat bar road bike. Worked fine with normal Tektro caliper. Biggest problem was finding a double front derailleur with the right pull ratio - ended up with a Sachs. Shimano 9 MTB FD might be fine as long as big ring isn't too far from MTB size.

cachagua
06-13-2017, 11:21 AM
I just set up Suntour 8-speed twist shifters on my tandem and they work absurdly well. I'm going back to the place where I got these and see if they've got more (small local shop) so if you want some too let me know. Built-in brake levers, great adjustability and seem plenty durable... if you can stand as few gears as that I think it's a great option. Sixty bucks or so, I think, and you'd need a vintage Suntour rear derailleur but they're all over eBay.

icepick_trotsky
06-13-2017, 11:23 AM
I would get thumb shifters for that. You can probably find some older Shimano MTB ones or get Paul mounts for shimano bar ends.

At the cheap end of the spectrum, Sunrace makes 8 speed ones for like $20, cable included!

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/WsgAAOSwX9FZMN1E/s-l500.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-SunRace-SLM96-8-Speed-MTB-Thumb-Shifter-Right-Rear-Includes-Cable-/282459443667?hash=item41c3e511d3:g:WsgAAOSwX9FZMN1 E

PacNW2Ford
06-13-2017, 11:39 AM
Google Shimano flat bar shifters, options for 8,9 and 10, plus double and triple. Some combinations require a specific front derailleur. High-spec is Ultegra-level. That said, I run bar-ends on Paul Thumbies.