PDA

View Full Version : Semi-OT: Boulder CO cycling *and* non-cycling

Bob Ross
06-13-2017, 08:54 AM
So the missus & I are taking a vacation to Boulder CO at the end of August. Never been there, going on the recommendation of some friends and family who all basically just said "You've never been?!?! You guys would love it there!"

We'll bring our bikes, so any suggestions for good road riding in the area would be highly appreciated. Nothing too epic; the missus is still recovering from a chronic hip injury so I doubt we'll be looking for anything over 60 miles or with too much elevation gain. Any club rides or shop rides that aren't hammerfests?

We'll also be looking for things to do off the bike, so appreciate any ideas in that regard too. We love food, nature/animals, arts/culture, anything that will remind us that we're not in New York City.

Thanks in advance.

oldpotatoe
06-13-2017, 10:00 AM
So the missus & I are taking a vacation to Boulder CO at the end of August. Never been there, going on the recommendation of some friends and family who all basically just said "You've never been?!?! You guys would love it there!"

We'll bring our bikes, so any suggestions for good road riding in the area would be highly appreciated. Nothing too epic; the missus is still recovering from a chronic hip injury so I doubt we'll be looking for anything over 60 miles or with too much elevation gain. Any club rides or shop rides that aren't hammerfests?

We'll also be looking for things to do off the bike, so appreciate any ideas in that regard too. We love food, nature/animals, arts/culture, anything that will remind us that we're not in New York City.

Thanks in advance.

Rides, start up on North Broadway, Amante Coffee, go north....lots of variation from that. Groups leave 8:30-9:00 ish sat/sun. Off top of head. Pearl st mall, ton of restaurants, all types, fast casual to fine dining. Dushanbe Tea house, Chautauqua for a hike, Celestial seasonings tour. Go see Vecchio's, 1833 Pearl, ask for a free cycling hat, say I said so...Jim will understand. Lots of other stuff, just off top of head.

gdw
06-13-2017, 10:10 AM
Can you move your vacation forward by a week or two? CU's fall semester starts in late August, 21st?, and the town gets a little crazy and crowded.

moonhoo
08-15-2017, 08:55 AM
I'm heading to Boulder for a week in September. I'll be stalking peoples' RWGPS and Strava for fun routes.

Does anyone perhaps know a local shop with rental service? We'll need two road bikes — nothing fancy, as long as they're kept in shape. (A plus for drop-off and pick-up service at the hotel.) Recommendations would helpful.

Gummee
08-15-2017, 09:24 AM
If you head south a bit, you can ride the old Morgul-Bismark route. It's somewhat hillier than north of town, and the Wall is in fact, a wall. ...but you can relive your American Flyers fantasies.

Drivers in/near Boulder aren't the most cycling friendly bunch, so be careful

M

oldpotatoe
08-15-2017, 09:26 AM
I'm heading to Boulder for a week in September. I'll be stalking peoples' RWGPS and Strava for fun routes.

Does anyone perhaps know a local shop with rental service? We'll need two road bikes — nothing fancy, as long as they're kept in shape. (A plus for drop-off and pick-up service at the hotel.) Recommendations would helpful.

This place.

http://www.boulderbikesmith.com/

donalrey
08-15-2017, 09:44 AM
If you're feeling ambitious https://www.strava.com/routes/6461426 :bike:

moonhoo
08-15-2017, 09:54 AM
Thanks. This surprises me to hear, but I haven't been to Boulder in at least six or seven years. Then again — a city is a city.

In your opinion what's the most amenable drive-to starting point from Boulder?

Drivers in/near Boulder aren't the most cycling friendly bunch, so be careful

Tickdoc
08-15-2017, 09:54 AM
Our group rode the buffalo classic this time last year and had a blast! Purple door general store was a fun out and back from town with no hills. I can still taste the cherry crumble I had there.

The actual ride was 122 miles with more climbing than I can get in a week here in the flatlands, and so much fun. Well, some hurt too, but so much good hurt.

The descent into Lyons is permanently etched in my brain as "best ever".

Don't forget to visit Vecchio's.

Have fun.

oldpotatoe
08-15-2017, 10:00 AM
Thanks. This surprises me to hear, but I haven't been to Boulder in at least six or seven years. Then again — a city is a city.

In your opinion what's the most amenable drive-to starting point from Boulder?

North Broadway..Amante coffee..lots start from there..hooked to hwy36 north..big shoulder..access to Jamestown,Ward, OldStage, Lyons, Hygiene..Carter Lake.

velofinds
08-15-2017, 10:44 AM
We love food, nature/animals, arts/culture, anything that will remind us that we're not in New York City.

Believe you me, you will know once you step off the plane that you are no longer in NYC -- no need to seek out reminders as they will find and accompany you every moment of your stay. I say this as someone who loves both places :)

moonhoo
08-15-2017, 11:18 AM
Oh — we're also staying near Estes Park for a couple of days to do some day hiking and to check Rocky Mountain NP off the bucket list.

I imagine that waking up at 4AM to get to the trailheads won't leave us much time or energy to ride on those days, but we'll bring the bikes along if someone can convince me otherwise.