PDA

View Full Version : New brakes on an old frame

farmallguy
06-13-2017, 08:11 AM
So I am building a 1996 Serotta CSI with a steel fork. I am putting Ultegra 6800 on it. I go to install the front brake and the mounting bolt and nut(threaded sleeve) are too long for the old steel fork. I'm sure I'm not the first to do this so I am hoping there is an easy fix for the problem. What the heck is it? Here is a pic because we all like pics!

eddief
06-13-2017, 08:16 AM
but ya know the nuts are available in different lengths. could a shorter nut be the solution?

farmallguy
06-13-2017, 08:25 AM
but ya know the nuts are available in different lengths. could a shorter nut be the solution?

A shorter nut would work, I'll have to check the LBS to see if they have any. Thanks

Bradford
06-13-2017, 08:30 AM
Measure first and make sure you know the length you want for the nut. I bought one from my LBS recently and if I didn't know exactly the length I was looking for it would have been 3 or 4 trips back and forth.

Black Dog
06-13-2017, 08:45 AM
Bring the frame and brake with you when you go to buy the nut.

farmallguy
06-13-2017, 08:55 AM
Bring the frame and brake with you when you go to buy the nut.

Yeah, I think I'll just take the frame and brake with me. It's at least 20 miles to the closest shop so I want to make one trip. Thanks

Vientomas
06-13-2017, 09:04 AM
If you have a steerer tube cutting guide you could cut the bolt you have to size. Install brake, measure distance of bolt outside of fork, place in cutting guide and saw away...

AngryScientist
06-13-2017, 09:10 AM
put an extra one of these on the front of the fork. might give you the clearance you need:

http://boulderbicycle.bike/images/products/4342.JPG

zmudshark
06-13-2017, 09:25 AM
put an extra one of these on the front of the fork. might give you the clearance you need:

http://boulderbicycle.bike/images/products/4342.JPG

Or two.

velomateo
06-13-2017, 09:54 AM
How many Serotta's do you have there? That's quite a nice collection.

farmallguy
06-13-2017, 10:51 AM
I definitely need a shorter nut as the one I have isn't threaded all the way through. I might need another washer out front to allow the nut to bottom out. I'll see what they have at the shop when I go.

Advice is much appreciated!!

jumphigher
06-13-2017, 02:08 PM
I definitely need a shorter nut as the one I have isn't threaded all the way through. I might need another washer out front to allow the nut to bottom out. I'll see what they have at the shop when I go.

Advice is much appreciated!!

You could call the shop too and ask if they have a few different lengths available before you drive out there, they should have some extra washers too. I just went through this with my steel road bike when I swapped in some Ti equipped brake calipers I picked up. The shop I use had several lengths and I bought a couple since I hadnt measured before I left the house. They were inexpensive and one of them worked just fine.

Nice bike, btw.

farmallguy
06-13-2017, 02:33 PM
Ok, front brake is installed. Went to the shop and the guy dug around and found a shorter nut and a slightly thicker washer and that did the trick. They were both used and no charge so I bought a couple of Bont tubes for $20 and thanked him heavily. Can't wait to ride this CSI!