PDA

View Full Version : Platform Hitch Racks

geeter
06-12-2017, 06:51 PM
So I need a new rack. I am most likely going to get a 1Up Quik Rack that can be used on both 1 1/4 and 2 inch receivers (we have both).

Just looking for any recommendations for other racks with the build quality of 1up and similar characteristics including mounts on the tire and not frame, fat bike compatibility, and maybe even fender compatibility. I went to look at some Yakima and Thule but haven't seen a Kuat in person (or the 1up).

Greenpea
06-12-2017, 07:06 PM
IMHO You are at the right spot. I have the Thule that I got used off the local classifieds but immediately regretted not getting the 1UP.

The 1UP is overbuilt and will last a long time. the Flexibility with the different tire sizes is a huge plus. I had to buy the Fat bike adaptor for the Thule, it works ok but I have to tilt the Surly ICT at difficult angles to get it in there and that was more trial and error to figure it out.

Then this last week I had to switch out the fat mounts to put my 32mm gravel kings in there for an extended trip. It wasn't hard, just a hassle.

Hope that helps

vqdriver
06-12-2017, 07:33 PM
i have the kuat sherpa. my buddy has the 1up. i've seen it, played with, mounted and dismounted bikes from it. it's truly very well made and way overbuilt. as i was fawning over the finger lopping industrial feel of the 1up, he was admiring the anodized aesthetics of my kuat and the (arguable) ease of use. his was very well used and was starting to bind.
it's a piece worth owning but priced accordingly.

ofcounsel
06-12-2017, 07:55 PM
i have the kuat sherpa. my buddy has the 1up. i've seen it, played with, mounted and dismounted bikes from it. it's truly very well made and way overbuilt. as i was fawning over the finger lopping industrial feel of the 1up, he was admiring the anodized aesthetics of my kuat and the (arguable) ease of use. his was very well used and was starting to bind.
it's a piece worth owning but priced accordingly.

Funny, I picked up a 1up about 4 years ago, and I've also got a friend with a Kuat. I'm partial to the aesthetics of the Kuat, but also love the compactness and ease of use for my 1up. For me, it comes down to these two brands.

Here's a little review I prepared when I got mine: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=131101

eddief
06-12-2017, 08:07 PM
due to not having extra arms to latch onto bikes, the 1Up just looks smoother when not in use. Seems other platform hitch racks are octopi and not so pretty sitting there when not in use. Makes me wonder which one is actually "a better rack."

I don't have one yet, but serious consideration going on.

Cornfed
06-12-2017, 08:11 PM
I'll put in a plug for my Kuat. Industrial strength, rock solid, and sooo easy to use. What puts it over the top, though, is the company's customer service. Someone backed into mine a while back and cracked a couple of parts. Still very usable, but didn't look good. Called the company and without batting an eye they sent me all new parts. No questions asked. Pretty cool, imo.

mtb_frk
06-12-2017, 08:41 PM
I had the Yakima 2 bike rack for a while. That thing weighed a ton. It was such a a pain taking it on and off the car. I sold it and bought a 1up, single bike model. It is much more compact and easy to live with.

p nut
06-13-2017, 11:26 AM
I picked Kuat NV over 1Up as well. I like the security of a hitch pin. I'm sure 1Up is very secure, but I'm too OCD for that. I also like the work stand, which I've used a few times. The deal sealer was REI's coupon that brought the purchase price under $400.

trener1
06-13-2017, 11:55 AM
I picked up a Swanson Semi earlier this year, I have been very happy with it.
http://www.swagman.net/product/semi-2-0/
I have used it with my road, MTB and Cross bikes and it plays well with all of them.
Also comes with a locking hitch pin and bike locks.
They are a smaller brand out of Canada so not so well known, but the stuff is good and bit cheaper then the bigger players.
Worth your consideration.

Epicus07
06-13-2017, 12:16 PM
+1 for Kuat. I have the NV 2.0 and its amazing. So much so that I spend this weekend installing a trailer hitch on my WRX.

Yes i had to peel everything back that far to accomplish it.

http://i.imgur.com/rMMjPQFl.jpg

vqdriver
06-13-2017, 01:50 PM
The deal sealer was REI's coupon that brought the purchase price under $400.

yes, forgot about that. like many here, i was caught between these two but the rei dividend at the time made the kuat almost free so that pushed me off the fence.

i still admire the 1up but i have no regrets with the kuat. i really like it and don't think you can go wrong with either. i will add tho that one thing the 1up has against it is also its main benefit, the industrial metal materials seem to have a lot of hard (sharp) corners and the tight tolerances of the sliding arms makes it seem more dangerous around kids and would seem to be a ready made shin gouger.

geeter
06-13-2017, 04:41 PM
I did not know about the Kuat NV workstand. Wow, that's a cool feature. Also it appears the 1up has no locks included but the Kuat does.

My other issue is taking a bike with fenders. It seems both will work, and I may have to mod with some pipe insulation or a towel for scratching issues on the fender.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

JAGI410
06-13-2017, 06:08 PM
A friend of mine has used the kuat work stand to carry a third bike, upside down. Worked ok on a 5 hour trip we took!

I'm going to order the Rocky Mounts Monorail this week, I like that it doesn't need adapters for my fatbike, and includes locks for both rack to car and bike to rack. Anyone have this rack?

simplemind
06-14-2017, 09:06 AM
I did not know about the Kuat NV workstand. Wow, that's a cool feature. Also it appears the 1up has no locks included but the Kuat does.

My other issue is taking a bike with fenders. It seems both will work, and I may have to mod with some pipe insulation or a towel for scratching issues on the fender.

I have a 4 bike 1up and have used it for two+ yrs. No it's not perfect, but the versatility is unmatched. What I like is it will carry ANY bike, any size, without touching each other. Normally I just have the one tray on which is so light and stealthy, you don't ever think about it.
Also they sell a cable lock (https://www.1up-usa.com/product/8ft-master-lock-python-cable-lock/) that adjusts length and that's about all you need for security.

Vientomas
06-14-2017, 10:36 AM
Another vote for Kuat Sherpa. Light, well made and solid.

tele
06-14-2017, 11:05 AM
I have had the Kuat NV for a few months now and like it.

Positives:

--My fat bike (3.8" tires) fits fine on the front tray and there is no real limit to tire width on the rear. No problem with 3" plus tires either. Road bikes are secure.

--No wobble at all in my 2" hitch

Quibbles

--2 bike add on is apparently more or less permanent

ORMojo
06-14-2017, 11:15 AM
I have owned and used the 1Up, Thule, and Kuat racks. I also considered the Swagman at one point.

For versatility, lightness, and storage, the 1Up is the clear winner for me. We can go from 1 to 4 bikes, in increments of one, and that ability to keep the single rack on my car most of the time, without it hindering the rear hatch, allows me to just throw my bike on any time I want to head out by myself.

In addition to the cable lock, they sell locks to lock the rack to the hitch, to lock the add-ons together, to lock the wheels in the trays - and if you purchase multiple locks at one time, they will key them all the same.

They also sell fender protectors, and a really nice combo license plate/brake-signal light add-on, among other accessories. I often worried about people behind me seeing my brake lights during the daytime through the maze of bikes mounted on the rack - the light add-on takes care of that.

geeter
06-14-2017, 06:05 PM
I hear you on the compact nature of the 1up. I like the idea of just running one small rack when I need it. I hate the length of most of the hitch racks.

I went to an LBS to check out the Kuat NV 2.0. It is pretty awesome, seems well made, and the work stand is cool. However, it actually isn't more expensive than the Quik Rack I was looking at. With a Quick rack, add on rack, locks, fat spacers, etc, I am around or a bit less than the Kuat. That is minus the workstand of course, but it retails at $629 which isn't cheap.

djdj
06-14-2017, 08:07 PM
I've been happy with the Yakima (edit: not Yakima, but Saris) 4-bike platform rack. The bike frames don't touch, and loading is easy-peasy. Plus, my wife can lower and lift a fully loaded rack to get into the SUV hatch if I am not with her.

KF9YR
06-14-2017, 09:41 PM
Another thing to mention with the 1up is the ability to adjust the bikes placement left and right so you don't have bikes touching each other. I've owned the Thule T2 4 bike model as well as the Kuat NV but always had an issue with bikes touching due to the size difference with kid's bikes, mountain bike vs. road bike, etc.

My truck has the 2.5" hitch and 1up makes an adapter that allows me to use the 2" rack in my hitch with no wobble.

The lack of any plastic is also a plus here in AZ where the constant UV and high summer temps make plastic brittle in a few years.

I have a 1up hitch rack for my truck and my daughters Jeep, two add on trays, two roof rack trays and a tandem attachment. All have worked great for me.

If your rack starts binding you just need to loosen one of the lock nuts (they will send you a PDF if you ask).

The 1up is made in Wisconsin if you are a fan of "Made in the USA" products.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

geeter
06-15-2017, 04:51 PM
Thanks for all of the feedback everyone

josephr
06-15-2017, 06:29 PM
no experience with the 1up, but friends have them and like them as much as I like my Kuat Sherpa. Haven't had to deal with Kuat's customer service much, but once I misplaced the key to the lock and they mailed me new keys/lock at no charge. Never had any problems with it and its easy to use.