PDA

View Full Version : Which hitch? One mounts to the frame vs mounts to bumper?

cetuximab
06-11-2017, 10:32 PM
I have a 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI

I am looking for a receiver hitch to mount a bike rack.

The look up feature on the CURT website found Model 11422. It mounts to the bumper. You have to temporarily remove the bumper and bumper cover. I am tempted to get this one and have it altered to fit a 2" receiver

Elsewhere on the web a look up feature found Model 11411. It is labeled bumper for 2015 Golf Sportwagen bumper. I like that it mounts to the frame.

rwsaunders
06-11-2017, 10:40 PM
Go for the frame mount. Try UHaul too as they do a good job for a reasonable fee.

RobJ
06-11-2017, 10:43 PM
I personally would go with the frame mounted one. If you ever plan to tow anything with the hitch the frame mounted version should have a much higher towing capacity. And if this one is specific to your model hopefully there are existing mount holes in the frame which should make installation simpler.

shovelhd
06-12-2017, 06:47 AM
If you're going to have it modified with a 2" receiver, the top one will work better. But if you want to avoid all of that, check out the Torklift Ecohitch. When you consider the cost of modification, it will end up cheaper, better, and safer.

https://torkliftcentral.com/rving-and-towing/ecohitch/volkswagen/2015-2017-volkswagen-golf-sportwagen-alltrack-tsi-ecohitch