PDA

View Full Version : Clydesdale Look Keo experiences

mikeg
08-26-2006, 05:14 AM
I'm updating my pedals from many-year-old Look A5.1's. I originally tried Shimano Ultegra pedals, but, after 500miles, did not care for the feeling of the float versus Look's.

So, now I want to try Keo Carbons. However there were a couple of comments on Roadbike review regarding axle durability for over-200lb riders.

Has anyone on this forum had that experience? Any other comments on the Keo's, i.e., are the keo carbons worth the $50-70 more than the Sprints?

Dave B
08-26-2006, 06:50 AM
Do not worry I am well over 200 and I have used them with not one problem for hundreds of miles. With theur steel axel you will do just fine! They are wonderful pedals! Give em a go! :beer:

Grant McLean
08-26-2006, 08:31 AM
They seem to work for a guy named Thor.....

http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2005/tour05/tech/?id=/tech/2005/features/tour05/hushovd-look

g

Ray
08-26-2006, 10:17 AM
I can't answer the Clydesdale part of the question - I come in below 170. But I can tell you they feel very much like older Look pedals. A little smoother float over the life of the cleat, primarily just because the cleat design results in very little of the part of the cleat that contacts the pedal also contacting the ground when you walk on them. So most of the cleat stays very smooth and the float stays very smooth as a result. The platform and the ingress/egress feels very much like the larger Looks. I don't know if the carbon is worth the difference relative to the Sprint. The primary difference, other than a few grams, is the carbons have three sets of bearings as against two in the Sprints. I have the Sprint, but I was always very happy with bottom of the barrel old-style looks, so I'm not the most discerning opinion. I like 'em though.

FWIW, I also tried the new Shimanos and Times between the old and new Looks and the float on those pedals didn't agree with me either. Too bad, both are great pedals otherwise.

-Ray

harlond
08-26-2006, 12:13 PM
I'm over 200 and have had no problems so far, but only 300 miles ridden on them.

mikeg
08-27-2006, 08:04 AM
Ray - Thanks for the info. I agree with you on the Shimano, the cleats were great to walk in! Oh well. I'm glad to here the Keo float is similar to the old Looks.

Grant - Thanks for the link. Good enough for Thor, more than good enough for me!

alancw3
08-27-2006, 09:38 AM
mikeg. fwiw i am 220lbs, 6'4" and wear size 48 sidi's. i use speedplay x-2's and absolutely love them. could not think of a better pedal. other clydesdales here on the forum have found them not to there liking because they felt the platform was to small. i do not find that to be the case. perhaps the speedplay cleats just match up great with the sidi shoes. whatever.