PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Extralite Hyperstem

dbnm
06-10-2017, 02:13 PM
Does anyone have any experience with this stem. It's crazy light and I am wondering what issues could arise.

Thanks.

Cicli
06-10-2017, 02:15 PM
Well, you cross a line eventually. When you cross that line with a stem, bad things happen.

Peter B
06-10-2017, 02:22 PM
I have one on a build and its been fine but I'm no clyde. They do push the limit of materials and I keep an eye on it. Overall I feel more confident on my Moots stems or maybe a Ritchey, Deda or similar. Any weight savings is irrelevant and stem failures rarely end well.

tuscanyswe
06-10-2017, 02:33 PM
They do feel ridiculous light in your hand. Bit like the first time i lift a carbon wheel. Like the weight does not make sense.

Have yet to test mine, I'm not worried about it all tho tbh. If i were i would not buy/ride it. Looks real nice as well (not to keen on the logo tho even in the "black" edition).

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4261/34377503464_feae9295a8_b.jpg
https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4221/34377504394_2701ceabf4_b.jpg

zap
06-10-2017, 02:39 PM
I prefer to have a bit more meat (and resulting added stiffness) on my stem.

dbnm
06-11-2017, 08:48 PM
I only weigh 150 and can't imagine it would be too much of an issue.

spartanKid
06-11-2017, 10:15 PM
Despite being so light, it wasn't even the most flexible stem that Fairwheel Bikes tested:

http://blog.fairwheelbikes.com/reviews-and-testing/stem-review/

denapista
06-12-2017, 11:45 AM
I have one on my SV and it's amazingly light and I do not notice any flex at all... I mean, if I were to swap on the Shimano Pro Vibe track sprint stem, I'm sure I'll notice a huge increase in stiffness but those two stems are at the opposite side of the stem spectrum. I'm 172lbs and feel no flex with the new Hyperstem. The older OC stem was the one that had questionable stiffness and stem clamping issues on certain carbon steerer tubers...

If you're looking for Crit sprinting stiffness, look elsewhere. If not, this stem does everything you ask of it, which isn't much.

dbnm
06-12-2017, 11:49 AM
I have one on my SV and it's amazingly light and I do not notice any flex at all... I mean, if I were to swap on the Shimano Pro Vibe track sprint stem, I'm sure I'll notice a huge increase in stiffness but those two stems are at the opposite side of the stem spectrum. I'm 172lbs and feel no flex with the new Hyperstem. The older OC stem was the one that had questionable stiffness and stem clamping issues on certain carbon steerer tubers...

If you're looking for Crit sprinting stiffness, look elsewhere. If not, this stem does everything you ask of it, which isn't much.

I don't race. I ride for fun. Sure there are some spirited rides but nothing hardcore. Thanks for the input.

tylercheung
06-12-2017, 12:22 PM
How different are all these? I have not put a lot of thoughts into stems, have mostly gone with whichever Ritchey, ITM, 3T, or Thomson stem that happened to be on sale and was $100 or less...

denapista
06-12-2017, 01:01 PM
People buy stems on Weight, Degree offered by brand, Stiffness and looks.

If building a light weight bike, you can get a light stem that may or may not have the stiffness you desire. I myself don't really notice the stiffness of stems, because I try not to put too much weight on a single point of load. When climbing out of the saddle, your weight is supposed to be centered over your BB and frame, not hunched over the bars like a Pro Tour sprint finish.

I guess it all comes down to how you ride, what type of riding is how some people feel the lack of stiffness in their stems. I have a friend who says the lack of stiffness of the Extralite stem affected his handling when going over a certain MPH. I never notice that, but he and I most likely ride totally different. It's all subjective. If you'r crit racing and putting down the watts and need the sprint stiffness from your cockpit, then find the stiffest stem out there. When you do chill rides, the stiffness may or may not be noticeable. Meh...

I've been using the FWB review a measurement for lots of parts I've been buying from them Tested and results provided by them...

I went extralite because they offer -12 degree and with my traditional TT, it creates a level view and position. I had a -6 degree and my cockpit felt like I was riding a chopper to Sturgis.

tuscanyswe
06-12-2017, 02:37 PM
I much like denapista got it mostly because of the angle on the stem + its nicely made and light. Still that logo is to big tho..

Wonder why there arent more stems available in 12 degrees or similar. Not everyone loves a compact frame, still lots of bikes out there with level tt or very modest slope that looks bit less great with 6 degree, at least lots of boutique frame. Perhaps this is the answer, to few.. Shame tho.

livingminimal
06-12-2017, 02:46 PM
So weird that anyone is that deeply concerned about stem weight. It's your stem. If it breaks, that's potentially a really bad day for you.

if I peeled off my Thomson X4 off my cross bike and put an Enve on I would save...wait for it...28g.