PDA

View Full Version : after 8,175 postings, I finally met Dave Thompson

eddief
06-10-2017, 01:07 PM
and I found him to be in person just as you might expect from his postings here on the Paceline (curmudgeonly :)). Known him now for 16 years and met for the first time in Spokane early this week. He lent me his gorgeous Milholland light touring machine to do the Trail of the Coer d'Alenes 65 miles from Plummer to Wallace, ID.

The trail is a wonder of smooth pavement that goes forever through some incredible scenery. I chose the hottest day of the year so far, 94 degrees, to do the ride. The beer at City Limits Brewing company in Wallace was nearly worth the effort.

Bike shown here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/milhollandcycles/sets/72157626381893177/

I brought my saddle and my pedals and he did an expert fit in about 10 minutes. Fit so well it required no further adjusting in 90 miles. That's way better than I ever do on my own.

Good guy all around.

kingpin75s
06-10-2017, 01:17 PM
Awesome all around. :beer:

Curmudgeons are often like a good baguette. Crusty on the outside and warm and soft in the middle. ;)

rwsaunders
06-10-2017, 01:37 PM
Dave rocks; he's a gentleman, scholar and aristócrata all wrapped up in one. I had the pleasure of joining him for a steak dinner in Spokane a few years back and I look forward to our paths crossing again.

weisan
06-10-2017, 01:39 PM
Dave pal is OK.

8aaron8
06-10-2017, 01:46 PM
I'm pretty sure he identifies himself as a curmudgeon or at least he did when we met. He has many opinions all with the best intentions, a stand up guy for sure.

dave thompson
06-11-2017, 09:29 AM
Hey, I'm not a curmudgeon. My dogs like me.

Eddie, it was great to finally out a face to a name. And thanks for dragging my ass out to ride for the first time in two years! I especially liked the second day, cruising at 20mph.

bironi
06-11-2017, 08:30 PM
Dave,
Just curious why this is your first outing in two years.
Thanks,
Byron

josephr
06-11-2017, 08:38 PM
I'd say that's one of the few bikes where a great paint job improves ride quality exponentially! beautiful frame and would like to see pics of it all built up. Also, pics from this great route would be appreciated as well....don't really need pics of that Dave guy though. ;)

dave thompson
06-11-2017, 09:21 PM
Dave,
Just curious why this is your first outing in two years.
Thanks,
Byron

Since you asked...

tv_vt
06-11-2017, 09:32 PM
How we didn't hear about this accident sooner is a mystery to me. So glad to hear big Dave is back on his bike. Many happy safe miles, DT!

TV

dave thompson
06-11-2017, 09:53 PM
I'd say that's one of the few bikes where a great paint job improves ride quality exponentially! beautiful frame and would like to see pics of it all built up. Also, pics from this great route would be appreciated as well....don't really need pics of that Dave guy though. ;)
No pics from the ride but here's a site with info and pics of the aTrail of The Coeur d'Alene's. https://www.traillink.com/trail/trail-of-the-coeur-dalenes/

My Milholland.