PDA

View Full Version : CXP 30 Rim--ferrules or??

paredown
06-09-2017, 03:01 PM
Back at this--a semi-vintage front to match an 8 speed rear. I picked up a NOS CXP 30 rim some time ago on eBay, and thought that I would need the removable ferrules.

A friend fished a set out of an old rim he had--so I thought I was covered.

I finally have all the bits in hand including shiny new spokes, and I take a closer look at the rim--and it looks as if no ferrule is needed (in fact, what my friend sent me it too large for the spoke opening--these were the little doo-dads with the axe-shaped bottoms that fit into the sharp angle of the rim...).

A nipple drops in nicely into the new rim and it appears that there is some kind of side/structure to the wall of the hole between rim layers.

Anyone know if Mavic changed these rims--and they are in fact spoked up like a standard rim--with no ferrule or washer required? (It actually looks as if there is no room for a washer in the bottom of the hole.)

hollowgram5
06-09-2017, 03:41 PM
Post pics.. but I think Clinchers came with them ferrules installed from what I know. Tubulars needed the bag of them... I might be Keen to buy the old ferrules off you if you are looking to unload them..

Gummee
06-09-2017, 05:42 PM
My first pair of CXP30s had a separate ?lead? insert to match the profile of the rim.

The last pair I inherited had em built in.

HTH

M

rePhil
06-09-2017, 06:51 PM
Here's a photo of a Colorado Cyclist built CXP 30. No ferrules.

sales guy
06-09-2017, 08:05 PM
The CXP-30 is designed to have a ferrule in it. The first design had a removable one. Mid way thru the first batch they switched it to a built in not that wasn't supposed to be removed and only if you killed it.

If you have the ferrules, put them in. It's safer. If you don't have them, I might have some of the removable ones. I had to make a bunch for the Cosmic and Cosmic Pro/Expert rims. A friend of mine has the Cosmic Experts and has had some of the ferrules crack. So I machined some for the rims. Not sure how many I have tho.

hollowgram5
06-09-2017, 08:12 PM
The CXP-30 is designed to have a ferrule in it. The first design had a removable one. Mid way thru the first batch they switched it to a built in not that wasn't supposed to be removed and only if you killed it.

If you have the ferrules, put them in. It's safer. If you don't have them, I might have some of the removable ones. I had to make a bunch for the Cosmic and Cosmic Pro/Expert rims. A friend of mine has the Cosmic Experts and has had some of the ferrules crack. So I machined some for the rims. Not sure how many I have tho.
I have a cosmic expert tubular rim but no ferrules. They are different than the cxp 30 style surprisingly. I'll pm you later tonight.

oldpotatoe
06-09-2017, 08:32 PM
Here's a photo of a Colorado Cyclist built CXP 30. No ferrules.

You just don't see them. Both the clincher and tubular had 'inserts' and both can and did fall out and both were different.

paredown
06-10-2017, 08:54 AM
Thanks for the comments. I did want to repeat that the ferrules that my friend sent are too big for the drillings on the rim.

Hard to get a decent pic--but here we are:

hollowgram5
06-10-2017, 08:56 AM
It appears, that your rims have the ferrules already in them. That's the metal that appears to connect the tire bed down to the 'spoke bed'. I'll see if I can get a pic of an empty rim for you to compare..

I have the ferrules somewhere for my spare 28h cxp30 but the 20h cosmic I have laying around doesn't have any, and they are slightly different.

I would bet, the ferrules your friend sent would fit, if you didn't already have ferrules in your rims. ðŸº

http://i.imgur.com/cFKnguxl.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/VamKEc4l.jpg

rePhil
06-10-2017, 09:08 AM
Gotcha, Thanks. While I no longer have them, they were solid wheels.Commuted on them for years and other than greasing the hubs I never had to touch them.

You just don't see them. Both the clincher and tubular had 'inserts' and both can and did fall out and both were different.

paredown
06-10-2017, 01:48 PM
It appears, that your rims have the ferrules already in them. That's the metal that appears to connect the tire bed down to the 'spoke bed'. I'll see if I can get a pic of an empty rim for you to compare..

I have the ferrules somewhere for my spare 28h cxp30 but the 20h cosmic I have laying around doesn't have any, and they are slightly different.

I would bet, the ferrules your friend sent would fit, if you didn't already have ferrules in your rims. 🍺

Another look, and I believe you are correct--but with a wrinkle--it looks as though the bottom of the hole does have a ferrule like the ones I had sent me--but then it looks as though there was a second piece that holds it in place--from the rim bed to the top of the ferrule so that they are more or less in place for good, unless you snap out those extra pieces.

Thanks everyone for taking a look. I'm attaching a couple of bad photos of the extra ferrules I have if anyone is interested in them. I have a set of 32.

I measure them at about .365 dia, and about .383 from flat to point, and about .323 from flat to shoulder.

hollowgram5
06-10-2017, 01:50 PM
I have some interest in them. They are the early style. The ones in your rims are the later style. I'll pm you tomorrow when I'm back home.

sales guy
06-10-2017, 04:19 PM
Here are the ferrules I made for a friend.