PDA

View Full Version : Zipp 1080 Review

comish83
06-09-2017, 10:09 AM
Saw a decent price for a rear Zipp 1080 locally. I know Zipp stopped making this model and was wondering why? Anyone have any issues who rode this wheel? Super heavy? Too deep that the bike feels uncontrollable in the wind? Thinking about putting on my race bike since races locally are pretty flat-ish.

coffeecake
06-09-2017, 10:20 AM
I apologize that I don't have the source, but I think I read on the SlowTwitch triathlon forum that Zipp discontinued the 1080 because it wasn't as aerodynamic as the 808. Or the aerodynamic benefit it offered over the 808 was not enough to justify the added weight. Something like that.

EDIT: here's the thread. In typical Slowtwitch fashion, the thread quickly takes many semi- and un-related tangents.
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=3695215;

earlfoss
06-09-2017, 10:56 AM
If they handle anything like my 808s, they'll get a little sideways on you in the wind. They're noticeably heavy, but are the best tool for the job in the right situation.

If you plan to use these suckers, ride them a lot to get used to how they handle. Anticipating the oddball things they can throw at you is a learning process but pays off when you're throwing down in competition or on a hard group ride.