PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Specialized bikes? Tarmac something or other.

Cicli
06-09-2017, 03:39 AM
So, I dont agree with some of their business practices. Thats me so, whatever.

I have a chance to pick up a new lower end Tarmac with a full ultegra groupset for about 1/2 msrp with a warranty and all. I rode it last night on a quick shop ride and found it to be a very nice riding bike to beat around with. The wheelset is junk but, there is always The Spud to set me up there. I liked that it had a threaded BB and somewhat normal parts for a carbon bike. It is also some sort or a team replica paint job that I think looks really cool. Other than the one ride I did its been in the rafters of the local big box bike store/rental bike store. Not really a bike shop but a store. They are a Specialized dealer. I helped the owner who is a neighbor and he is helping me back with this deal.
Thoughts? Anyone ride a Tarmac? Thanks.
Dont need a bike but this one seems like a nice fun bike.

ahumblecycler
06-09-2017, 04:54 AM
Here are a few thoughts from a non-"S" fanboy -

I am on my first Tarmac - a 2015 Sworks rescued from the carbon pile (wrecked and now fixed) - and I have been impressed with the performance. I have it set up aggressive (long and low) and ride it as such without disappointment. I have a PF30 - love the switch back to threaded BB - but it has been reliable having a Ceramic Speed shell installed correctly (I popped in regular stainless steel bearings). It is stiff with excellent power transfer, which how I have it setup with current wheels are not set up for plush (23mm on DT Swiss 465 rims). If I wanted to make it plusher, I could with different wheels and wider tires. Steering is pinpoint accuracy without having to monitor it for over steering (my Militis was sharper and required a bit more attention). Overall, I like it better than previous Cannondale Evo (2015, medium-level carbon [not Hi-Mod but with internal rear brake routing]), about equal to Raleigh Militis (one of the most under-rated carbon rides out there), and not as much as my NeilPryde Alize (carbon/blue early year before lawsuit; sold only b/c it was a 56cm and could not get enough drop and continue to hunt for a 54 Nazare or Bursa).

All of this to say that I think you would enjoy the ride (assuming geometry is right - sounds like it is). Something to look at is the maximum tire width accepted. I know my Sworks will fit 25mm with i9 rims but unsure whether your accepts the same or wider.

Ultimately and like any bike manufacturers, they make good bikes. I have heard both sides of warranty experience - from terrible to great - and that comes down to the LBS. It sounds like you will not have an issue.

Edit - I really dig that paint job.

Bentley
06-09-2017, 05:43 AM
I have one, its not for old guys like me (to much of a race geometry) anyway its a great bike. My guess is that you are likely getting what would have been a top end bike a few years back, if its Fact 10 carbon its light and stiff.

I am not so much about the brand as I am about the ride, if you like the ride go with it. Clearly Specialized makes some good bikes (a lot of folks do). In general I believe if you like it and you can afford it, go for it.

Enjoy the new tool

Best

Ray

rnhood
06-09-2017, 06:07 AM
I have a 2010 S-works Tarmac with about 60k miles on it now, and its been a great bike. As stated above, steering is pin-point and confident, and power transmission is excellent. I think it is one of the best descending bikes out there at it rock stable at any speed.

I run 25 tires at 80# and this seems to take the edge off the ride otherwise it can get a little harsh on bumpy roads. The newer Tarmacs, like the prospective Tarmac you are considering will ride a little smoother since Specialized tweaked the ride characteristics on following year models.

I had to replace my BB bearings at 38K miles otherwise no issues with it's pf30 BB.

Also as stated above, buy the bike if you like it and don't pay attention to the brand. No need to carry chips on your shoulder when you are buying something that will provide years of enjoyment.

oldpotatoe
06-09-2017, 07:44 AM
So, I dont agree with some of their business practices. Thats me so, whatever.

I have a chance to pick up a new lower end Tarmac with a full ultegra groupset for about 1/2 msrp with a warranty and all. I rode it last night on a quick shop ride and found it to be a very nice riding bike to beat around with. The wheelset is junk but, there is always The Spud to set me up there. I liked that it had a threaded BB and somewhat normal parts for a carbon bike. It is also some sort or a team replica paint job that I think looks really cool. Other than the one ride I did its been in the rafters of the local big box bike store/rental bike store. Not really a bike shop but a store. They are a Specialized dealer. I helped the owner who is a neighbor and he is helping me back with this deal.
Thoughts? Anyone ride a Tarmac? Thanks.
Dont need a bike but this one seems like a nice fun bike.

Regardless of what you may think of Spec-Ed..I think you answered your own question..remember, the object of the ride...is the ride, not the bike. If it works, it makes the ride..mo betta.

Black Dog
06-09-2017, 08:04 AM
If the bike has the wheels that you showed in the pic you would be good to go. DTR460 are good rims.

Ti Designs
06-09-2017, 08:13 AM
I ride a '14 S-Works Tarmac. One thing I really like about the Tarmac is it's evolution, they started with the SL frame, made a few changes to get to the SL2, a few more changes to get to the SL3... They never had major revisions in the design, which is why they have relatively few issues. I look at the warrantee issued of Trek with their constantly changing frames and I'm happy I'm on a Specialized.

My biggest concern with Specialized, and my fear about the next generation of Tarmac, is their marketing. For them it's all about market share, and I'm sorry to say that the vast majority of the market doesn't know how to ride a bike. If you take someone who doesn't know how to ride a bike and ask what changes they would make to a modern road bike, you get the new Roubaix/Ruby. I know, I know, I've read some of the reviews too. Here's the thing, I've done a lot of product testing over the past few years, I've been fired a number of times by a number of companies for actually using the product and writing an honest review. So here's a test you can try. Read the reviews of the Specialized Alibi - their commuter bike with the flat-proof tires. Then go to a Specialized dealer and take out an Alibi - ride it right out the door and off the curb. It really is a bike made to appeal to people who want to ride to work but are afraid of getting a flat tire. How it rides doesn't matter.

earlfoss
06-09-2017, 08:20 AM
The Tarmac looks like a great bike, and it get consistent good reviews. I think it's a sharp looking machine too.

Unfortunately, the way S handles itself as a company means they will never see $ from me. There are lots of great bikes out there, and S is just one of many.

54ny77
06-09-2017, 08:24 AM
they're awesome bikes. i have an older s-works tarmac sl. as another poster said, handling is razor sharp. i would say they're perfect for a go-fast ride with a more aggressive geometry, but assuming you know how to appreciate and get used to any bike, with 32 spoke alu. wheels and great 25c tires, a 30 mile easy cruise or a 60+ mile day doesn't leave you any worse for wear.

couldn't care less about the negative perception of the s-brand by some. there are a$$holes in every business, no matter what touchy-feely, feel-good pedestal they're placed on by a certain crowd. obviously, the company is doing something right--they make excellent products.

Ti Designs
06-09-2017, 08:38 AM
there are a$$holes in every business...

It's not just me?!?!?

Tandem Rider
06-09-2017, 09:03 AM
I have an SL4 currently, started out on the plain one as my first carbon, several Tarmacs ago. Installing a threaded insert has fixed the BB30 issue every time. Clearance is close, but I can squeeze 28 Gatorskins in on 19mm DT rims. It rides like a carbon race bike, handles like a good all around race bike, you are getting a bro deal.

Cicli
06-09-2017, 04:38 PM
Got it. Super nice bike for the price I paid. Ride report in the morning.

sw3759
06-10-2017, 07:22 AM
congrats.don't hear a lot about them on this forum and I've never owned one.but everyone I know who has one loves it..bet you will too.

Cicli
06-10-2017, 07:40 AM
Swapped out the wheels and gave it a tune. Rides awesome. Need to dial in the cableing and such (long and sloppy) and it will be perfect. Oh, and the damn think has a click. Probably seatpost needs lube. Plastic.

Bentley
06-10-2017, 07:56 AM
I think that the Sagan paint job which is kind of limited. Very Sweet

thirdgenbird
06-10-2017, 08:08 AM
That's a good looking carbon bike. I dig the tire upgrade too.

Cicli
06-10-2017, 08:08 AM
Oh, it fits 28mm Compass tires with no problem.

Added bonus.

Cicli
06-11-2017, 05:36 PM
Maybe some skinwalls but its good to go. Rides awesome. Very happy with it. Ride is smooth and stable.
Rode twice today. Even in the heat. :banana:

hobbanero
06-12-2017, 04:35 PM
I like that paint job. I have a 2015 Tarmac Pro Disc and have been very happy with the handling and ride. I don't know anyone who doesn't like their Tarmac. They seem to be an all around highly competent race bike. I am looking forward to riding the new one that I've seen under pros in the last week. Lighter, slightly more aero, and hopefully still rides well.

rnhood
06-12-2017, 04:50 PM
Great looking bike! I bet it rides great too.

.RJ
06-12-2017, 06:25 PM
I've got an SL4 tarmac, its a great machine. I love the Geo on it, it just works for me - front end is stable and planted, can really drive it into corners and the rest just follows where you point it.

The paint job looks sharp on that one, nice buy!