PDA

View Full Version : First Hill Climb Road Race (Mt. Evans)

TronnyJenkins
06-08-2017, 06:43 AM
I'm feeling crazy this summer. I'll start by doing my second 100+ mile mountain ride at the Triple Bypass this summer, but I think the following weekend I will try the Mt. Evans hill climb race. Being as how I'm a flatlander, my 20 or so races have all been crits, flat road races, and maybe a couple you could call "rolling" road races. I'm a Cat 4 by the way.

Is there any wisdom anyone has for me?
As of right now, my plan is basically to try and stay with one of the guys in the top five. I have no real aspirations to podium, but it was either this or the rally, so I figured what the heck...

old fat man
06-08-2017, 07:30 AM
If you buy my wheels (that's why you posted in the Classifieds, right? :)), you'll have a better chance in the hill climb: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=199532&highlight=hed+stinger

joev
06-08-2017, 07:40 AM
I'll weight in... I do a bunch of "flat" fast rides on the weekends and we have Mt. Lemmon here that I do occasionally. If I hadn't done that mt in awhile, boy can I feel it. You should be OK with the triple the previous week to gauge how you will do. If I had a lay off from the mt, here is what I do:

- break the total distance to manageable chunks, say 4th's,and concentrate effort and focus on those.

- look at the profile for small recovery areas and anticipate those and take advantage of a brief rest/fuel/water.

- you probably know this...don't blow early.

- the altitude can really sap power if you're not used to it. Make sure you have a bail out gear.

Good Luck!

TronnyJenkins
06-08-2017, 08:15 AM
Crud! Didn't mean to post in classifieds. Sorry mods, feel free to move.

rodcad
06-08-2017, 11:11 AM
If an admitted "flatlander" can hang with the top 5, you will have my utmost respect.

icepick_trotsky
06-08-2017, 11:30 AM
Altitude is a bigger issue on Mt. Evans than grade. Do everything you can to acclimate prior to the race.

rodcad
06-08-2017, 11:40 AM
Altitude is a bigger issue on Mt. Evans than grade. Do everything you can to acclimate prior to the race.

Or bring an oxygen bottle :)

TronnyJenkins
06-08-2017, 02:51 PM
Haha, maybe I should lower my expectations to just finishing.

I'll be in Denver for 9 days before, is the elevation there enough for any acclimatizing benefit?

rodcad
06-08-2017, 03:26 PM
I'd say not. You'll be starting roughly 2,000' above Denver then climbing another 7,000'. My guess is you'd be light headed driving up there. I hope you do it and give us report after!

deluxerider
06-08-2017, 03:26 PM
Denver will help. But Mt. Evans is the highest paved road in NA and tops out over 14,000 feet. quite a bit of elevation difference.

I'll be in Denver for 9 days before, is the elevation there enough for any acclimatizing benefit?

TronnyJenkins
06-16-2017, 02:07 PM
Thanks for the insight. I'll give a full report following.

gdw
06-16-2017, 03:20 PM
Altitude effects everyone differently. Hopefully you'll adapt quickly and enjoy it but you might want to reassess your strategy. Hanging with the top five seems rather optimistic for a cat 4 flatlander.

Mr. Pink
06-16-2017, 04:59 PM

No. Try moving to Summit County for a few days. Bike Vail and Loveland pass. Then, remember, the top of Evans is still another 2000 ft higher.
I don't race, but, I ski a lot out there, so, I was kinda prepared, attitude wise. Still, I was sorta hallucinating above 13000.

jumphigher
06-16-2017, 06:37 PM
Sounds like a cool ride, OP. Wish I was gonna give a go myself. Good luck, though!

Climb01742
06-16-2017, 07:27 PM
Have gearing higher than you'd ever imagine. A 34x34 wouldn't be crazy. I've done Mt. Washington twice. Whether you ever use a 1:1 gear ratio, having it could help mentally and physically.

Mr. Pink
06-17-2017, 05:15 AM
Have gearing higher than you'd ever imagine. A 34x34 wouldn't be crazy. I've done Mt. Washington twice. Whether you ever use a 1:1 gear ratio, having it could help mentally and physically.

It's really not that steep. Colorado passes are relatively mellow, grade wise. It's all about the altitude. The roads leading up to the Blue Ridge parkway are much steeper.

45K10
06-17-2017, 06:44 AM
Like mentioned previously, the altitude will be the killer. I used to bring my bike every time I went to Colorado to visit friends but man did it hurt. Even just climbing around Denver and Golden.

Mt Evans is a sweet ride, I would suggest just going with no expectations and don't put yourself in the red. If you pop at that altitude you'll pretty much have to get off the bike to recover.

Have fun and good luck!

fignon's barber
06-17-2017, 08:31 AM
Is there any wisdom anyone has for me?
As of right now, my plan is basically to try and stay with one of the guys in the top five....

No! This is absolutely the opposite of what you should do. You have to ride at your own pace the entire time, as if you were the only one on the road. Take a page out of the Froome handbook, and manage your efforts with your Garmin (either HR or power).

chuckred
06-17-2017, 01:44 PM
In any of the cat 4 groups, you are an amazing climber and it's a great strategy.

Otherwise, since it's your first try, you may want to go grand fondo. In any case, it is a great race and worth doing just to get the ride without traffic at the top.

Don't underestimate the need for warm clothes on the way down, and a wicked rough decent.

Don't underestimate need for rain gear on triple by pass, either. 90% chance you will get wet, and it's not a refreshing shower when it rains! Start EARLY!

Mr. Pink
06-17-2017, 06:19 PM
No! This is absolutely the opposite of what you should do. You have to ride at your own pace the entire time, as if you were the only one on the road. Take a page out of the Froome handbook, and manage your efforts with your Garmin (either HR or power).

Yeah, I wound up catching about six people who motored by me on the lower parts, and, trust me, I'm slow. They were hurting. Best lesson I got from an experienced friend was not to try to keep up, and just find your zone. I was pretty amazed I made it.
And, yes, come prepared for quick changes in weather. You're going to be above tree line for about 4000 feet, and it's a long way down. Don't be fooled by a nice, warm, sunny day in Idaho Falls.

TronnyJenkins
07-04-2017, 08:15 PM
It's really not that steep. Colorado passes are relatively mellow, grade wise. It's all about the altitude. The roads leading up to the Blue Ridge parkway are much steeper.

Like mentioned previously, the altitude will be the killer. I used to bring my bike every time I went to Colorado to visit friends but man did it hurt. Even just climbing around Denver and Golden.

Mt Evans is a sweet ride, I would suggest just going with no expectations and don't put yourself in the red. If you pop at that altitude you'll pretty much have to get off the bike to recover.

Have fun and good luck!

In any of the cat 4 groups, you are an amazing climber and it's a great strategy.

Otherwise, since it's your first try, you may want to go grand fondo. In any case, it is a great race and worth doing just to get the ride without traffic at the top.

Don't underestimate the need for warm clothes on the way down, and a wicked rough decent.

Don't underestimate need for rain gear on triple by pass, either. 90% chance you will get wet, and it's not a refreshing shower when it rains! Start EARLY!

Yeah, I wound up catching about six people who motored by me on the lower parts, and, trust me, I'm slow. They were hurting. Best lesson I got from an experienced friend was not to try to keep up, and just find your zone. I was pretty amazed I made it.
And, yes, come prepared for quick changes in weather. You're going to be above tree line for about 4000 feet, and it's a long way down. Don't be fooled by a nice, warm, sunny day in Idaho Falls.

Just saw all of these posts. Pure gold. Also read this (http://www.sonicboomracing.com/mt-evans-hill-climb-strategy/). I also bought an 11-32 for this trip, even though I'd never use the 32 here (even in the big ring, LOL).
I'm nervous, semi confident, and excited to try this. Yeah, I could do the Gran Fondo, but it's $30 more, so what the heck. I've got enough jerseys. Haha. If I come in dead last... I come in dead last.

Definitely glad I read all the stuff about taking warm clothes for the descent!

I wonder which group would ride smarter... Cat4/5 or Cat3/4? If it's like a race around here, the Cat4/5 would get super strung out, but the 3/4's who are supposed to be more experienced will still burn all their matches first half...

bigreen505
07-04-2017, 10:16 PM
Use a heart rate monitor and keep yourself in an aerobic zone. Going anaerobic when the road pitches up above Summit Lake will take even an elite athlete a while to recover. You don't have to spin like crazy if that's not your usual climbing style, but mashing all the way probably isn't smart. Consider the 11ish miles from Idaho Springs to Echo Lake as a warmup. The road only goes up, but after every steep pitch it flattens back out. Don't harass marmots and don't assume all white furry things are friendly. The really big ones are not.

godfrey1112000
07-06-2017, 05:55 PM
https://triplebypass.org/home.php

TronnyJenkins
07-06-2017, 06:57 PM
https://triplebypass.org/home.php

Yeah, I just saw this! Majorly bummed. My jersey doesn't even fit.

Mr. Pink
07-07-2017, 10:22 AM
Colorado, the skinniest state, btw, will probably see a per capita increase of a few pounds after all that carb loading and no burn off.

Actually, the events now planned around Evergreen are plenty challenging for most riders. There's even talk of a group ride up Mt. Evans.

TronnyJenkins
07-07-2017, 11:22 AM
Colorado, the skinniest state, btw, will probably see a per capita increase of a few pounds after all that carb loading and no burn off.

Actually, the events now planned around Evergreen are plenty challenging for most riders. There's even talk of a group ride up Mt. Evans.

Hahaha

Yes, we are making the best of it. The rides listed on the official email sound cool. I think we are doing the Copper Triangle which should be pretty awesome in its own right.

chuckred
07-16-2017, 06:35 AM
Did you race it? Enjoy it? Hope you got the chance!

TronnyJenkins
07-16-2017, 07:45 AM
Did you race it? Enjoy it? Hope you got the chance!

I ended up doing the "citizen's race" Gran Fondo. We Triple Bypass goers got half off registration which saved me $30 off of the race plus a free jersey. I didn't know how competitive I would be in the race anyway. Ended up with 2:56 official time which I'm ok with. Comparing my time with the men's 4/5 I would have done would have put me in 35th or so out of 50 if I rode an identical race. Average heart rate was 154, so I could have pushed a bit more theoretically. Maybe next year I'll try the USAC.

That summit was freezing cold! Haha.

deluxerider
07-17-2017, 06:49 PM
Good work there. Hope you enjoyed it.

chuckred
07-17-2017, 08:35 PM
It's an accomplishment and a great ride!