PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here tried "OrNot" kit yet?

Clean39T
06-07-2017, 08:48 PM
https://www.ornotbike.com

Looks interesting and I like the cut, just haven't pulled the trigger on any.

I've gotten tired of bargain shopping kit only to have it show up, be a weird cut, and have me all like "oh, that's why it was 50% off...". Just want to buy some quality stuff that will last a season or two, and fit a lanky dude.

Elefantino
06-07-2017, 09:23 PM
At those prices, for me, not.

AngryScientist
06-07-2017, 09:35 PM
Just want to buy some quality stuff that will last a season or two, and fit a lanky dude.

serious question: how many miles/year do you ride?

i have a lot of quality kit that is 5+ years old. unless you ride a crap ton of miles or are buying absolutely rubbish kit, it should undoubtedly last more than a season or two of recreational riding use.

[in my experience]

colbyh
06-07-2017, 09:35 PM
stuff is quality - if you like the design you won't be disappointed. made in the USA if that sort of thing appeals to you.

Clean39T
06-07-2017, 09:47 PM
stuff is quality - if you like the design you won't be disappointed. made in the USA if that sort of thing appeals to you.

It does. But it's a race cut and mid-bicep or longer sleeves I'm looking for.

I was going to try that "consumer direct" Italy company too... La Passione?

Clean39T
06-07-2017, 09:49 PM
serious question: how many miles/year do you ride?

i have a lot of quality kit that is 5+ years old. unless you ride a crap ton of miles or are buying absolutely rubbish kit, it should undoubtedly last more than a season or two of recreational riding use.

[in my experience]

On track for 5-6,000mi this year.

My Castelli Velocissimo stuff is wearing thin and starting to fray after ~2,000mi.

Andy sti
06-07-2017, 11:36 PM
I ordered an Ornot kit over the weekend - should be here soon.

Check out Eliel. Bought their kit earlier this year and I love it!

FlashUNC
06-07-2017, 11:38 PM
Just want to buy some quality stuff that will last a season or two, and fit a lanky dude.

Assos. That's your answer.

gngroup
06-08-2017, 12:40 AM
I've had a jersey for the last couple of years. I don't wear it much but the quality is nice and it's held up well. Designed in San Francisco and made in Los Angeles if that matters to you. I see their kit a fair bit out on the road here.

bewheels
06-08-2017, 02:23 AM
Have one of their jerseys, arm warmers, and vest.
All well designed and made.
I put it in the "would recommend" category.

No experience with their shorts/bibs.

commonguy001
06-08-2017, 04:24 AM

Also MUSA is are the Twin Six Standard Race Jerseys which have a racier cut than the standard jersey they sell and the arms are long and thin. They may be worth a look for you... I picked up a couple of them this year and am pretty happy so far and the quality looks to be pretty good.

PepeM
06-08-2017, 06:33 AM
I have the floral jersey, which is great and two pairs of bibs, which are also great. The socks are nice too. Would definitely recommend those items. Can't comment on the 'house' jerseys because I haven't tried them, but they make high quality stuff.

I also have one of their skinsuits, which I haven't used in a while.

m_moses
06-08-2017, 09:12 AM
I have some of their stuff. I prefer the fit of the "house" jerseys over the older styles. (I believe all of the most recent jerseys are the House variety.)

I'm on the fence with their bibs though. They are comfortable enough but in the version I have, the leg gripper material tends to roll up at the ends and doesn't lay flat. I think they may have recently revised them so hopefully they fixed that problem.

I also like their socks. Good length and they coordinate well with their other products.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mzilliox
06-08-2017, 09:47 AM
the or not stuff is good. Nice materials and fit. lots of black colors, haha. I am having excellent luck with Isadore, especially the bibs and gloves. Im in love!

MagicHour
06-08-2017, 12:03 PM
I have one of their jerseys. Graphics are nice - I'm reasonably sure their stuff may be manufactured by Voler, based on materials etc, which I'm fine with, I generally like and fit Voler stuff and Made in USA.

That being said, the Ornot jersey I got is the cyan Blue Jersey from their previous version, I just preferred the fit and fabric to the newer line. Wished I jumped on the old Blue Line design when I had the chance, but waited and they sold out and subsequently redesigned it.

colbyh
06-08-2017, 12:11 PM

house jerseys should be race cut and mid bicep at least on most people - I've got monkey arms and they hit the mid point for me.

ultraman6970
06-08-2017, 12:14 PM
Looks like nice clothing, similar to rapha?

MattTuck
06-08-2017, 12:19 PM
For made in the USA, I actually find the prices pretty reasonable. That said, I have not idea if the quality is there. But if they are decent, 165 for US made bibs sounds pretty good actually.

kingpin75s
06-08-2017, 01:29 PM
Also MUSA is are the Twin Six Standard Race Jerseys which have a racier cut than the standard jersey they sell and the arms are long and thin. They may be worth a look for you... I picked up a couple of them this year and am pretty happy so far and the quality looks to be pretty good.

+1 on the above. Saw the comment on longer sleeves and thought of my Twin Six Standard immediately.

That said, as another quality option in the range being discussed here, I am a big fan of Search and State:

https://searchandstate.com/collections/s1-a-riding-apparel

Clean39T
06-08-2017, 11:53 PM
Thanks for all the input! :beer:

I'll pick out a couple of those and give them a try. I'm more of a quality over quantity (or quality plus quantity..) and look for stuff that lasts a long time...I'd rather buy one pair of bibs that is top notch and last 5K mi than two pairs that are meh and last 2K mi ea...

Will report back when I get 'em and test 'em.

Thanks!

colbyh
06-08-2017, 11:58 PM
Looks like nice clothing, similar to rapha?

personally I think they are about the same quality as the Rapha core line - great for training and all around comfy but not the best of the best. definitely a step below the pro team gear.

better than Twin Six though, even TS's updated stuff. Search and State seems more along the lines of Rapha pro team but I've only ever held it in hand, never ridden on it.

colbyh
06-09-2017, 12:01 AM
+1 on the above. Saw the comment on longer sleeves and thought of my Twin Six Standard immediately.

That said, as another quality option in the range being discussed here, I am a big fan of Search and State:

https://searchandstate.com/collections/s1-a-riding-apparel

love SAS but their sleeves are damn near cap sleeves compared to the mid-bicep Rapha stuff. and agreed that Twin Six stuff fits surprisingly well for the price.

572cv
06-09-2017, 07:46 AM
I'm trying a jersey this year. The fabric has a pleasing open weave, the fit is good, with plenty of length in the back. I like the design, bright without being garish. Note that the front zipper is a little broader than say a rapha or assos. It breathes quite well, and is well made. I expect to use it often.

Btw, the ornot handlebar bag is really good.

velofinds
06-09-2017, 02:59 PM
Nice designs, terrible name. Ornot.

93KgBike
06-09-2017, 03:07 PM
I like the looks. Was wondering if they were inspired by DuranDuran album covers or old broadcast TV test patterns, when I saw this photo of a guy shoving an old Sanyo stereo cassette recorder* into his feed pocket; that's wonderful! I approve of Neo-eighties styling.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0847/5984/products/BlueLineJersey_Recorder_1024x1024.jpg?v=1490654865

* that's 8 AA batteries!

Clean39T
06-10-2017, 12:27 PM
FYI -

OrNot.com has a discount code today 6/10 for 20% off - "speedyweekend"

I ordered a full kit (jersey/bibs/socks/base) - so we'll see how I get on with it in a few weeks.

Hepmike
06-15-2017, 12:08 PM
Anybody have a discount code (or knowledge of one) for Ornot? Was thinking of giving one of those jersey's a spin.

Clean39T
06-15-2017, 12:45 PM
Anybody have a discount code (or knowledge of one) for Ornot? Was thinking of giving one of those jersey's a spin.

Subscribe to their list and they'll probably kick you one - or at least you'll get notified if/when..

yonderb0y
06-15-2017, 12:47 PM
The jerseys are very lightweight & stretchy, and have the longest sleeves of anything that I own, and I like the low collar - I find them really comfortable. The bibs have a decent amount of compression, Rapha classics feel like yoga pants in comparison :) The straps could be a little wider, but not a deal breaker for me. Good socks, too. I'm a fan of their designs, and I usually get compliments/questions when I wear the kits on rides.

All that + made in the USA = shut up and take my money!

I think they have a discount code if you sign up for their email list.

PepeM
06-15-2017, 01:28 PM
They are nice people too. I bought one of their jerseys on another website that had them on sale. The jersey was a bit too big, but the merchant didn't have the smaller size. I contacted Ornot and they told me to return it and gave me a code to buy it for the same price directly from them. I also crashed wearing their bibs and they gave me 50% off for a replacement.

oldturd
06-15-2017, 05:44 PM
another +1 here for ornot. I bought their plum house jersey awhile back and liked the overall fit so much i decided to spring for another and a wind jacket. :p sleeves are definitely longer on me as i had to size up.

btw- there's a discount code for 1st time buyers if i recall.

asiantrick
06-16-2017, 05:36 PM
I do like the Ornot Kit but I feel like the quality is not on par with the price.

KWalker
06-16-2017, 05:39 PM
It used to be re-labeled Voler. I have found the fit to be terrible for the price. Very short/wide and the sleeves/bibs are fairly short. Like many new wave kit companies they sponsor/give out free stuff a lot so you will find a lot of positive reviews based on the hype people get from free kit.

asiantrick
06-16-2017, 06:09 PM
It used to be re-labeled Voler. I have found the fit to be terrible for the price. Very short/wide and the sleeves/bibs are fairly short. Like many new wave kit companies they sponsor/give out free stuff a lot so you will find a lot of positive reviews based on the hype people get from free kit.

wow, i did not know that they are re-labeled Voler. Their jersey definitely does not have the best stitching :mad:

kitsnob
06-17-2017, 04:48 PM
One letter & 3 digits ...
Q36.5

Nuff said ... Worth every .01

Clean39T
06-17-2017, 05:01 PM
wow, i did not know that they are re-labeled Voler. Their jersey definitely does not have the best stitching :mad:

Hmmm...didn't like the Voler stuff I got...hopefully this works out better.

Polyglot
06-17-2017, 06:11 PM
For made in the USA, I actually find the prices pretty reasonable. That said, I have not idea if the quality is there. But if they are decent, 165 for US made bibs sounds pretty good actually.

Were you aware that the US applies close to 40 % duty on most imported cycling jerseys? This is not only on the stuff coming in from China but also the jerseys from Italy and other European countries.

avalonracing
06-17-2017, 06:16 PM
Anyone else think that the designs from some of these brands have gotten a little too "Fancy-Boy"? They are starting to look like the over-the-top pastel casual wear that people wear to polo matches. Hell, we look prissy enough with our shaved legs and 10% body fat.

https://www.ornotbike.com/collections/mens-jerseys/products/intersection-light-house-jersey

KWalker
06-20-2017, 05:29 PM
Cycling has become hyper narcissistic thanks to millennials. Now more than ever it's about how "rad" your socks are and your carefully cultivated color palette. Why bother riding if ya can't Instagram it?

beeatnik
06-20-2017, 05:36 PM
^can't really blame a generation. imo, it's people who used to be chubby and body insecure (and can now wear bold body conscious stuffs for the first time), peeps who were shoe collectors, cats who have already bought 30 stems, guys whose first kit was Rapha (everyone wears raphas how can I be unique now?), gay guys, design school grads and "hypebeasts." all good, mostly.

oh, forgot the under 40 dudes who think mapei and la vie claire are GOAT.

oh, forgot Peter Saville-loving, record-collecting music snobs. they like stripes and flowers.

KWalker
06-20-2017, 09:17 PM
I totally will in this case even though I know you're right just because of how sick I am of sock doping and kit doping posts and tags. I know that some people that never had their own way to be cool or stylish hoped aboard despite being older, but the bespoke brand thing really started by IG heavy youngsters. That's not to say that all new, nice looking kits are from this, but ones from brands that really do no more than test samples and slap graphics onto a template or re-label stuff are the big culprits. There was definitely a time somewhere around 2014 when people realized they could put designs without sponsors onto custom kits and re-sell them at a profit and that's mainly what I am referring to.

avalonracing
06-20-2017, 11:01 PM
I'm glad to see that at least a few of you kind of agree with me. I figured I might get flamed for pointing this out. And hey, I even learned a useful new term, "Sock doping".

many_styles
06-20-2017, 11:11 PM
Would you rather be a rolling billboard, a la NASCAR?

Of course if you're on IG, clicking on #kitdoping, you're going to see cyclists being very intentional, you're in a bubble. On the road, you mostly see people wearing anything but, and some kits that should be retired.

Agreed at that price, I'd like to see better fabrics, features, and fit, but I like how there are many choices for kit designs in the market.

sandyrs
06-21-2017, 07:29 AM
I totally will in this case even though I know you're right just because of how sick I am of sock doping and kit doping posts and tags. I know that some people that never had their own way to be cool or stylish hoped aboard despite being older, but the bespoke brand thing really started by IG heavy youngsters. That's not to say that all new, nice looking kits are from this, but ones from brands that really do no more than test samples and slap graphics onto a template or re-label stuff are the big culprits. There was definitely a time somewhere around 2014 when people realized they could put designs without sponsors onto custom kits and re-sell them at a profit and that's mainly what I am referring to.

It is pretty easy not to consume that stuff (both the clothing itself and the media surrounding it) if you don't want to. And I'm not usually one to cite the glory of the free market, but if these "companies" are staying in business it means they're onto something, for now anyway. I'd say overall the trend in cycling clothing (and athletic clothing generally) away from day glo brand billboards to something that might make more people feel good about how they look is a good thing.

sandyrs
06-21-2017, 07:33 AM
Anyone else think that the designs from some of these brands have gotten a little too "Fancy-Boy"? They are starting to look like the over-the-top pastel casual wear that people wear to polo matches. Hell, we look prissy enough with our shaved legs and 10% body fat.

https://www.ornotbike.com/collections/mens-jerseys/products/intersection-light-house-jersey

The thing I don't get about this idea is: what's the alternative? Pro team replica kits? Fluoro yellow Italian jerseys with an outline of muscles most cyclists don't have on them? All black everything?

I don't like that particular jersey, it's ugly, but generally speaking I don't see how you can look back on cycling apparel ten years ago and conclude that this isn't an improvement.

avalonracing
06-21-2017, 08:15 AM
Good point and I am someone who has usually worn the jerseys of the teams that I have raced for. I just think it's funny that some people to want to wear kits that would have made Liberace think twice about donning.

FlashUNC
06-21-2017, 08:57 AM
Lot of people here forget that Primal Wear exists.

Plenty of gear out there for those who say "You know what? I don't care about aesthetics and want to look like Ray Charles dressed me."

casparwhittey
06-21-2017, 10:13 AM
Piling another +1 on the Ornot bandwagon. The quality is great and the fit is excellent. Note that they've switched sizing on their bibs this year to match the house sizing on their jerseys. I had to size down as a result. 5'10 155lbs and medium in most non-Italian brands (rapha, pearl, etc) and I'm a small in their house jersey and bibs. It's race snug but that's how I like it. Quality is much better than Voler but not equal with Rapha IMO.

Will also second ornot customer service- they're easy to work with, have crash replacement discounts and free returns for orders. They throw out discounts somewhat regularly for 15%, so I wouldn't buy until you can at least apply one of those (think you can get it for subscribing on their site)

MattTuck
06-21-2017, 11:49 AM
The thing I don't get about this idea is: what's the alternative? Pro team replica kits? Fluoro yellow Italian jerseys with an outline of muscles most cyclists don't have on them? All black everything?

I don't like that particular jersey, it's ugly, but generally speaking I don't see how you can look back on cycling apparel ten years ago and conclude that this isn't an improvement.

c'mon, Sandy. You're telling me that this wasn't the historic zenith of cycling style? :banana: I think you were too young to have to live through this era.

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/dCkAAOSws5pZMuwI/s-l1600.jpg

sandyrs
06-21-2017, 07:26 PM
c'mon, Sandy. You're telling me that this wasn't the historic zenith of cycling style? :banana: I think you were too young to have to live through this era.

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/dCkAAOSws5pZMuwI/s-l1600.jpg

I stand 250,000% corrected. Where can I order ten?

dunnenrb
08-11-2017, 11:00 AM
Just got a race cut Ornot cut from my local bike shop and I have never worn anything like it. I have tried it all, and I will dump my ASSOS and Rapha gear to fund more Ornot.

shovelhd
08-11-2017, 11:49 AM

A friend who is about 5'9" 145 lbs. and wears mainly Rapha bibs loves the La Passione bibs. They look well made to me. I've never tried them.

I wear the club jersey maker of the year, whatever we choose. Right now it's Pactimo, but we've used Voler and VOMax among others. Jersey fit isn't super important to me, but bib comfort is paramount. I recently switched to Assos T7 Equipe, and I'm stocking up. For $30 more than the club bibs, it's a no brainer. I'll keep supporting the club with jerseys and such but no more bibs.

azrider
08-11-2017, 11:59 AM
That Horner on the FELT ?

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0847/5984/files/ornot_aboutus_image-1-1.jpg?v=1481151702

Slipstream
08-29-2017, 08:04 AM
Just ordered a full kit and am looking forward to testing it out. Made in the USA and the subtle design aesthetic worked for me.

Look585
08-31-2017, 11:50 PM
That Horner on the FELT ?

The guy on the Felt is Matt, the owner of Ornot. Nice kid, buy his clothes! :hello:

Burning Pines
09-01-2017, 08:40 AM
Just got some bibs (3.0) and really like them.