PDA

View Full Version : OT: Anyone done a full restoration for a daily driver?

AngryScientist
06-07-2017, 05:56 PM
Well, my old Jeep has bitten the dust. Finally succumbed to frame rust. In the end the gas tank fell out, literally, and the ratchet straps i had it held in with for a few months no longer had a place to get purchase on the frame due to how bad the rot was. The old straight-6 engine ran perfectly, but the frame was just not safe to drive anymore.

i barely drive at all on a daily basis and i've got a couple cars i can drive when i need to, so nothing at all urgent for me.

i've been toying around with the idea of buying a rust free example of something older that i actually want and doing a full out restoration for a daily driver.

what i've got in mind is something like an old Cherokee, with the inline-6 engine and manual transmission.

i'm thinking rebuilt motor, transmission, including all new accessories, water pump, power steering, AC, etc...

rustproof on the frame once the engine and trans are out.

all new suspension components, with a mild lift. all bushings and wear parts replaced.

new headlights, tail lights, brake lines, wiring, etc etc etc.

considering what a new SUV costs, which i really dont like anything out there right now, this could be a somewhat cost effective adventure?

anyone undertaken something similar?

this is distant future plan.

Hombre
06-07-2017, 06:14 PM
At this point it sounds more like a project car. Cost effective? IMHO probably not considering how long the whole process will take.

If time really does equal money, then I say pass on that idea.

But...If you can come to terms that this will be solely a project car and not assume the fate of the car will be a daily driver, then maybe that idea sounds more convincing.

Llewellyn
06-07-2017, 06:30 PM
As a cost-effective option I really think it's a non-starter. Better to find something solid but cheap that can fill the role. But if you really want to do a restoration then why not. It will probably be a lot more time consuming than you imagine as well.

ultraman6970
06-07-2017, 06:46 PM
IMO all depends of how much you can do, and how much money are you willing to spend and obviously how much the jeep costs.

I do not like new SUVs either and old jeeps are the bomb but at some point dont even worth your time to fix them, no matter how much you can love a car at some point you question cost and benefits and sometimes is better just donate and move some years ahead in another one or find one that fits the bill.

But if you have the money, the time and the skiils to fix the car then what it stops you?

I have an old minivan and the sucker has everything working but I have a leak in the front seal (I think)... im just waiting for that engine to die because just to fix the leaks will cost as much as what the car worth. And it is freaking sad because I love that P O S vehicle. I do not have the skills to take the engine out and fix it, nor the time, nor the money... Well a jeep engine is a lot easier to work than in a minivan tho...

rePhil
06-07-2017, 07:18 PM
Sounds like a labor of love combined with a bunch of discretionary bike funds headed to a vehicle that will not be worth the money you put into it.

As a former, now reformed ASE Technician, I say go for it. But think it through before committing. It will be a huge time & money pit. A labor of love.

pbarry
06-07-2017, 07:34 PM
There was Jeepster Commando Hurst edition for sale locally late last summer. They were asking a fair price for an unmolested original, and seemed in no hurry to sell. PM me if you have any interest.

pbarry
06-07-2017, 07:37 PM
Buy a car out west. Seriously. Shipping something to NJ is way cheaper than a new frame and/or body work. Rust, on all but old Internationals, is not an issue here.

msl819
06-07-2017, 07:42 PM
You will likely have more, maybe much more, money into it than it is worth and you can get out of it. If you are ok with and want the project, why not? I have done some mild restoration work, on a Jeep as well (old CJ). It was not hard but I had a friend who was knowledgeable and a shop that was well equipped for the job. Good thing about the Jeep is parts can be found almost anywhere and are cheap by comparison.

Tickdoc
06-07-2017, 08:13 PM
Auction time! Seriously, you can find a nicely restored whatever for decent price if you are patient at most collector auctions and you know what you are looking for.

AngryScientist
06-07-2017, 08:17 PM
interesting perspectives and insight from this forum, as always!

i figure a new trail and mild towing capable jeep/truck is about $40k or so, and with that in mind, restoring something cooler to like new condition has to be less than that.

stay tuned as i develop this idea further!

Mr Cabletwitch
06-07-2017, 08:43 PM
a car is only new once, restored or not you are going to constantly run into little issues. If you choose to do it make sure it's a rust free vehicle because if you repair rust it will likely come back quicker than it did the first time.

Have you considered buying a older 4runner or landcruiser? they would probably check all your boxes and will last well over 300k. just get one from the southwest and fix what breaks. having owned jeeps and yotas for a older daily I'll take a late 90s 4runner any day. My runner is still kicking around with over 250k but all my jeeps have given me issues with rust and mechanicals buy 150k

rccardr
06-07-2017, 08:45 PM
Don't bet that it will be less than a new vehicle. Been there, done that.

'69 Camaro, 350, built it up and put 100k miles on it as my daily. More money and time- lotsa time- sunk into that rascal than you can possibly imagine.
Even when done right, there are times you'll find yourself in the parking lot, on your back, in the rain, swapping out a starter, and late for work as a result. Or something.

Eventually, I grew up and decided a new/newish vehicle that started every time I turned the key was a better use of my time and money. Drove a GTI for years, now a Golf Sportwagen. Cheaper than the Camaro, better gas mileage, starts every time I get in it, and holds a bike without having to take off the front wheel.

Ralph
06-07-2017, 08:51 PM
After I retired (Merrill Lynch), I always wanted to do something physical. A buddy of mine restores old classic cars. he asked if I wanted to work a few hours a week doing grunt work.....bead blasting, degreasing, stuff like that.

So I worked there a few years doing work like that about 12-15 hours a week.

One thing I learned. It never makes monetary sense to restore an old car unless it is a classic......Shelby Mustang, Boss 302, Some Chevy big blocks, Some Camaro's, some Corvettes, GTO's, etc. Vehicles that may be worth $100,000 or more in restored condition. We mostly did 65-67 Shelby Mustangs.....$200,000-300,000 restored.

It's the body work that costs so much. Body guys make good money. Cutting out floors, trunks, cowls, body panels, etc. Engines, Transmissions, rear ends, brakes, suspension, etc are relatively cheap to fix.

Much better idea to find a good rust free example of what you like out west somewhere....and do some mechanical work to get it in top condition.

And BTW....full restorations....show cars and trucks (or Jeeps).....are too valuable to use for their original intended purpose. And to maintain their value.....you have to take super good care of them. otherwise...why bother?

I always cringe whenever I see someone buy a hi dollar restored classic at auction.....and it sits over night outside. Or in sun. A couple months of that....and the car might lose $50,000 in value. I realize this is not what you asked about. But restoring a car always costs 2-3 times what you think it should. It's never worth it for a driver.

However.....costs not everything. I've seen folks take that old rusted out 66 plain 6 Mustang.....the one they drove to college 30-40 years ago....and spend $100,000 on a full restoration....and the car not worth over $35,000 afterwards.

cpamplin
06-07-2017, 08:55 PM
Nice idea in theory, I agree, but it sounds like a lot of time not riding. People who enjoy it spend a lot of money restoring cars and eventually sell them at a loss. Why not buy one of those instead?

GScot
06-07-2017, 09:19 PM
I haven't restored a daily driver but I can appreciate your idea. I have run a 78 F150 over 300k. Stock cam in the 460 wore out at 180k and it was a lot of fun after the rebuild. Next truck was a Dodge we built a high compression small block for and I kept it going for 220k, it's still running around in my home town. It's pretty easy to keep one going as long as you want (until recently I never lived where rust was an issue) but if it gets run down too far putting it back in order can be quite an ordeal.

My current truck is a 03 Dodge with about 150k on it, in 2015 I realized it was going to pot and decided to make things right. Nothing major was wrong but it had a long list little things. Power steering hose, new cooling system, new latch in driver's door, full brake job, tires, the dash was cracked so I found an OEM and replaced it. And the list went on and on, and of course it was due for every fluid to be changed. Seems like I spent about $2k on doing everything myself except the tires and alignment. I didn't need to drive it at the time so I let it take a month or so. Just a little preview of things you'll be doing if you get a modernish vehicle.

Older examples with less tech can be easier to bring up to spec but for something I put a lot of miles on it's worth it to me to have ABS, airbags, and decent crash worthiness. For limited use and a simple restoration, I'd be content with the tank-like qualities of an old Jeep or Power Wagon. If you have the time, tools, and workspace I say go for it. And I'll agree with others that you can't make money doing this but you can sure have something you enjoy and still spend less than decent used truck.

weisan
06-07-2017, 09:47 PM
this is distant future plan.

You mean when the kids are out of the house, when you retired, in your copious free time?

:D

oliver1850
06-07-2017, 10:06 PM
I did what you're talking about back in 1987. Friend had a '74 C10 with the typical rust in floor, rockers and rear quarters. Inline 6 and 3-on-the-tree, no PS, PB, or any electric gadgets beyond lights and wipers. I wouldn't say I restored it but it looked darned good in its new baby blue paint when I was done. Drove it for over a decade before the body got so rusty again that it was relegated to firewood duty on the farm. Didn't help in keeping it road-worthy that I cracked the windshield while tossing firewood over a fence into the truck. It's sitting out behind the barn, been a couple of years since I've started it up, but I'd bet it will still haul a ton of firewood.

jimcav
06-07-2017, 10:20 PM
I think of those as separate things. In the last 4 years I've had 3 2nd generation trans am. I used all as daily drivers. the 1st one was from FL--it had rust, which was i decided not to keep it--too much of a headache long term and the only work i did to it before selling it was replace the fuel line (rust=pin hole leak) and head liner (came down). I then got the other 2. One is a CA car, the other a sunny CO car--no rust, and I just drove them (much less now that i am retired from the navy and working from home). So, get a dry western US car, and it should be a daily driver that won't need restoration.
jim

gemship
06-08-2017, 12:42 AM
Nice idea in theory, I agree, but it sounds like a lot of time not riding. People who enjoy it spend a lot of money restoring cars and eventually sell them at a loss. Why not buy one of those instead?

This thread touches a nerve and here's why. I work my tail off to get ahead doing a physical job. I used to like riding bikes but this physical job took over but that's ok because since I'm making decent money I decided that I would rather indulge in my other passion which is motorbikes. So currently I have two motorcycles and a scooter. Every one of these machines needs work due to age, sabotage by mice, minor accident. All this repair work takes time. I actually bought a bike that needed a bit of work nothing major to be a back up bike for one that had been in the accident. Ironically the one in the accident I plan on spending a day or two sorting out and will most likely be ridden before the back up bike is ready to ride. It amazes me how much more time I spend messing around with basket cases than I do just riding. Life's short if you know you gotta spend money then I will echo what others have said, spend the money on something solid so you can spend more time enjoying life rather than slaving.

joev
06-08-2017, 10:32 PM
Cutting to the chase...here it is:

http://www.scottsdaleautosonline.com/web/1631/vehicle/28624854/1989-Jeep-Grand%20Wagoneer-Limited%204X4

jumphigher
06-08-2017, 11:00 PM
One thing I learned. It never makes monetary sense to restore an old car unless it is a classic......Shelby Mustang, Boss 302, Some Chevy big blocks, Some Camaro's, some Corvettes, GTO's, etc. Vehicles that may be worth $100,000 or more in restored condition. We mostly did 65-67 Shelby Mustangs.....$200,000-300,000 restored.

It's the body work that costs so much. Body guys make good money. Cutting out floors, trunks, cowls, body panels, etc. Engines, Transmissions, rear ends, brakes, suspension, etc are relatively cheap to fix.

Much better idea to find a good rust free example of what you like out west somewhere....and do some mechanical work to get it in top condition.

And BTW....full restorations....show cars and trucks (or Jeeps).....are too valuable to use for their original intended purpose. And to maintain their value.....you have to take super good care of them. otherwise...why bother?

I always cringe whenever I see someone buy a hi dollar restored classic at auction.....and it sits over night outside. Or in sun. A couple months of that....and the car might lose $50,000 in value. I realize this is not what you asked about. But restoring a car always costs 2-3 times what you think it should. It's never worth it for a driver.

^Totally agree with all of this. No way I'd do a restoration on a 'regular' vehicle. Costs a fortune with very little return, imo. I'd do as others have suggested (and I've done) and find a decent used example. The headaches you save will be massive. :)