PDA

View Full Version : Dang! How bad is this?

Clydesdale
06-07-2017, 01:23 PM
Cannondale EVO

Today I removed the seat collar and noticed flaking on the outside front and what feels like a possible crack (at least a wrinkle) on the inside in the same spot. I got the frame a year ago and don't think I have had the collar off so it could have come that way or I could have definitely overtightened it at some point.

No obvious crack on either side but definitely damage to the carbon and a possible seam in the tube under the seat collar.

What should I do? Don't really have time to get it repaired if it can wait. Would prefer to finish the summer and deal with it in the fall. Is that acceptable? It could have been that way for at least months and possibly a year.

Thanks for the input.

ftf
06-07-2017, 01:34 PM
Take it to a dealer and see what they say, it should be under warranty.

oliver1850
06-07-2017, 02:14 PM
Warranty is to original owner only. If you bought used, perhaps seller will work with you.

http://www.cannondale.com/en/USA/WarrantyInfo

cmbicycles
06-07-2017, 02:37 PM
Carbon is hard to diagnose without seeing it. I would take it to a reputable bike shop and have them check it out.
If it is just a longitudinal crack (side to side) you risk it tearing deeper or just coming off under the clamp in which case the seatpost would spin. If you could get a deeper clamp onto the frame that might help in the interim, but I would advise having it looked at by a professional if you are in doubt.

Clydesdale
06-07-2017, 03:12 PM
I should have mentioned that I am the second owner so no warranty. I'm fine getting it looked at and repaired, but wondering if it will most likely make it through the rest of the summer without major problems.

cmbicycles
06-07-2017, 06:28 PM
*** wondering if it will most likely make it through the rest of the summer without major problems.

No good way to predict, though if you have a magic 8 ball... ;) Sorry but based on the info and lack of substantive pictures/ultrasound/etc I doubt anyone could diagnose something like that over the internet. I would certainly err on the side of caution if you suspect damage until you have it professionally checked out and/or repaired. Just my $.02