PDA

View Full Version : Need advice with ebay buyer

bianchi10
06-06-2017, 10:51 AM
Not very familiar with selling items on ebay though I use it often to purchase. Sold some shoes on ebay to a buyer on a buy it now. Have waited 24 hours and no payment. Sent payment reminder and a message. I know a buyer has a 48 hour window to send payment.

Buyer just wrote me back and said he can't get his paypal to work and has to back out of the deal. I recall several years back when I tried to back out a deal, the seller told me he would open a case if I didn't send payment.

Am I able to open a case against him to have him figure out a way to pay?

I just looked at his ebay profile and it shows 0 history with purchases or sales. No reviews or feedback. Looks like account was created yesterday (day of purchase). Don't know of this will have an effect on the outcome.

eBAUMANN
06-06-2017, 10:55 AM
It is up to you whether or not to accept his BS excuse, yes.

It will not likely be possible to squeeze money out of him but you can file an "unpaid item" thingy against him that has some effect on his account moving forward.

Usually, its just easiest to cancel the sale, making sure that the fault in the matter is on HIM, not you.
Otherwise you might get charged a sale fee anyways.

So yea, give him the appropriate amount of time, then open an unpaid item dispute.
Itll get settled pretty quick that way.

---
I also dont sell on ebay often, but when I do, I only use Buy It Now or Best Offer and require immediate payment to avoid stuff like this.

Pegoready
06-06-2017, 11:00 AM
You should definitely open up a case when the time is right (eBay makes you wait X number of days). It won't make him pay, but at least once the case is closed for non-payment you will get your fees reimbursed and the buyer will get a ding on his account. Sellers can filter out buyers for a certain # of nonpayments. After the case is closed, re-post your shoes and move on. It's a PITA.

tuscanyswe
06-06-2017, 11:23 AM
I think perhaps you are asking yourself the wrong question here..
Do you really want him to pay now?

I wouldent.. it would just open yourself up to a potential "dispute" over whatever bs he comes up with later on when he has your item. Smells trouble if you force him from here with 0 feedback etc.

He doesent strike me as the best bet for a good transaction from here on out.

cmbicycles
06-06-2017, 11:46 AM
You can't force him to pay, and as was mentioned better to cut it here before money or shipping get involved. I had a frame "sell" on ebay over a day ago but haven't received payment or any return communication... so I have a feeling it won't go anywhere. I relisted it already and will file the unpaid item dispute this evening and move on. People flake on ebay sometimes...or just about anywhere in all honesty.

ultraman6970
06-06-2017, 12:08 PM
Bianchi10... if the seller is newbie and stuff doesnt work with paypal and he wants to back out just let him back out, you dont want to get involve in a dispute or some weird $%#%^# going on with a new seller.

When you open a paypal account and you link it to the bank is takes a few days to work because they need to verify the account and stuff and thats why he is having problems, so IMO is understandable but either way...

What you can do is have the guy to list the item again when the PP account is working, you have to go to it with a condom in hand you know, always protected.

metrotuned
06-06-2017, 12:14 PM
It happens. Report unpaid buyer through ebay listing actionables. ebay will credit closing costs, relist asap and smooth sailings. Minor hiccups, again, it happens. Out of 1000 successful transactions, maybe 2-3 times this happens.

Clean39T
06-06-2017, 12:14 PM
I've waited almost a week now for payment for an Ultegra Group where the buyer submitted a "best offer" that I accepted - he says he's paying today - I'm not losing sleep over it, but I'm cutting him loose today if it doesn't come through.

It'd the 95/5 rule on eBay.

bianchi10
06-06-2017, 12:22 PM
Ok all good advice! Thank you all. I will follow your direction here.

kevinvc
06-06-2017, 12:26 PM

I agree with this. About 95% of eBay users make the responsible 5% look bad. :D

06-06-2017, 12:27 PM
I've been seeing that there is a huge increase in defaulting buyers on eBay. Some are new, some are old. When a new buyer wants to back out, you'll never hear from them again. eBay no longer has any teeth in their rules regarding bad buyers and don't do a damned thing about it. I had someone who bought something I was selling for my wife (a fragrance), she got it, didn't like the fragrance, wanted to return the then-opened bottle. eBay said no but the buyer simply did a chargeback on her credit card and I was out the money; eBay wouldn't intervene. Turns out this woman had all positive feedback left for her (because you can't leave negative feedback any longer) but she had left hundreds of feedbacks for others and over 80% were negative and ridiculous. I alerted eBay, it went to their quality control group as well as open cases group, and the continued to post negative feedbacks and screw people out of their payments, but she's still on eBay right now. eBay isn't what it used to be and newbies don't give a rodent's ass if they obey the rules or not. eBay won't even do anything.

So I'd actually have to say that this is getting much more common, especially in the past year or two, and you basically have no protection. The best eBay will do is remove negative feedback on your account if it isn't warranted. But as for dollars? Forget it. I don't go out to make trouble for someone, and I always file an unpaid claim, but you can't even block buyers until they have a minimum of three unpaid claims -- which means they already have a string of these going. I'm using eBay less and less.

cdn_bacon
06-06-2017, 12:31 PM
You can ask him to cancel the bid. Happened to me 3 times with a cellphone I was purchasing. There is a way for the buyer to back out. It's such garbage when they do it and gets annoying after awhile.

https://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/manage_bidders_ov.html

should answer all your questions.

bianchi10
06-08-2017, 08:09 AM
opened a non pay case. Now that I've opened it, can I go ahead and "Cancel the sale"? I have already sold them to a forum member now since its been 4 days. I'd like to cancel the deal with this guy, but dont want to effect the open case.

I had 2 pair of Bont shoes up for sale. Wouldn't you know it, my second pair sold the same day after making this post and that person didn't pay me either!

cmbicycles
06-08-2017, 08:51 AM
Once you open the case, it takes a few days before you can close it and have your closing fees refunded, ebay should tell you when that date is. I opened a non-paying bidder case on the 7th, and I can close it on the 10th in my case. I also already sold (and was paid for) the item in the meantime, so I'm just going to wait it out and it should be less hassle getting seller fees credited back than if you cancel early.

Pegoready
06-08-2017, 09:26 AM
I've been seeing that there is a huge increase in defaulting buyers on eBay. Some are new, some are old. When a new buyer wants to back out, you'll never hear from them again. eBay no longer has any teeth in their rules regarding bad buyers and don't do a damned thing about it. I had someone who bought something I was selling for my wife (a fragrance), she got it, didn't like the fragrance, wanted to return the then-opened bottle. eBay said no but the buyer simply did a chargeback on her credit card and I was out the money; eBay wouldn't intervene. Turns out this woman had all positive feedback left for her (because you can't leave negative feedback any longer) but she had left hundreds of feedbacks for others and over 80% were negative and ridiculous. I alerted eBay, it went to their quality control group as well as open cases group, and the continued to post negative feedbacks and screw people out of their payments, but she's still on eBay right now. eBay isn't what it used to be and newbies don't give a rodent's ass if they obey the rules or not. eBay won't even do anything.

So I'd actually have to say that this is getting much more common, especially in the past year or two, and you basically have no protection. The best eBay will do is remove negative feedback on your account if it isn't warranted. But as for dollars? Forget it. I don't go out to make trouble for someone, and I always file an unpaid claim, but you can't even block buyers until they have a minimum of three unpaid claims -- which means they already have a string of these going. I'm using eBay less and less.

Wow, that is so disheartening.

I do my best to limit this by offering all my items "BIN OBO". Most buyers will make an offer since it's human nature to want a deal over the BIN price. Once someone makes a decent offer I can then quickly look at the feedback they leave other people and decide if I want to entertain the offer or decline and block them. It's extra work, but it allows me to only sell to people who have a history of being satisfied with items they buy.

Sh*t still happens. I once sold 4 new tires to a gentleman in Phoenix AZ. He opened up a case against me immediately saying the "tires don't hold air." It didn't make any sense, but he wouldn't explain further despite my polite follow up Q's. Of course my hands are tied and I need to accept the return and pay return shipping, because of ebay's rules for "product not as described." What arrives 2 weeks later are heavily used tires that aren't mine! Different model and everything, with tubeless sealant dried up everywhere (my tires weren't tubeless and I made sure to put that in writing). eBay immediately refunds the guy. I had to get on the phone with them, go up 3 chains of command, for them to also reimburse me as a special case. It was a major bummer to say the least. They weren't interested in photos and I can see the guy still is allowed to buy and sell on ebay.

jasonification
06-08-2017, 09:42 AM

I do my best to limit this by offering all my items "BIN OBO". Most buyers will make an offer since it's human nature to want a deal over the BIN price. Once someone makes a decent offer I can then quickly look at the feedback they leave other people and decide if I want to entertain the offer or decline and block them. It's extra work, but it allows me to only sell to people who have a history of being satisfied with items they buy.

Sh*t still happens. I once sold 4 new tires to a gentleman in Phoenix AZ. He opened up a case against me immediately saying the "tires don't hold air." It didn't make any sense, but he wouldn't explain further despite my polite follow up Q's. Of course my hands are tied and I need to accept the return and pay return shipping, because of ebay's rules for "product not as described." What arrives 2 weeks later are heavily used tires that aren't mine! Different model and everything, with tubeless sealant dried up everywhere (my tires weren't tubeless and I made sure to put that in writing). eBay immediately refunds the guy. I had to get on the phone with them, go up 3 chains of command, for them to also reimburse me as a special case. It was a major bummer to say the least. They weren't interested in photos and I can see the guy still is allowed to buy and sell on ebay.
Man that sucks...geez..

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

Clean39T
06-08-2017, 11:56 PM
I've waited almost a week now for payment for an Ultegra Group where the buyer submitted a "best offer" that I accepted - he says he's paying today - I'm not losing sleep over it, but I'm cutting him loose today if it doesn't come through.

Paid when he said he would - Ultegra Group is headed his way. I'm up to 96/4 now :D

sw3759
06-09-2017, 05:21 AM

jeez,what a slimeball (no pun intended) maybe you should out this dooshbag so no other forumites get cheated

Dave B
06-09-2017, 06:42 AM
I will admit that being a teacher I often have to remind myself that I work in a bubble of right and wrong, with less than all 50 shades of grey. I don't know how people become so jaded as to want or enjoy screwing others over. If anything doesn't feel right for me as a buyer or seller it irks me to no end.

I am sure this is just part of my niaveity, but doing the "right thing" is engraved into my psyche.

Spdntrxi
06-14-2017, 08:10 PM
You really can't make them pay... not worth the hassle. Go through the steps to cancel the auction so you get your fees back and move on

CaptStash
06-15-2017, 07:58 PM
Why be mean? The guy is new to eBay and maybe got excited and pulled the trigger when he really shouldn't have. Cancel it, relist it and move on. I sell a ton on eBay and really feel that being kind and paying it forward pays off in the end.

CaptStash....

bianchi10
06-15-2017, 08:01 PM
Why be mean? The guy is new to eBay and maybe got excited and pulled the trigger when he really shouldn't have. Cancel it, relist it and move on. I sell a ton on eBay and really feel that being kind and paying it forward pays off in the end.

CaptStash....

Its been taken care of, but just to clarify, I wasn't looking to be evil about it. I was simply looking for the best way to go about getting the money or proceeding with deal to ensure I didn't get screwed on my end.