PDA

View Full Version : Continental Tubeless Conversion

Cat3roadracer
06-06-2017, 09:41 AM
I have a new pair of 4000s II that I plan to convert to tubeless.

They are currently mounted an Pacenti rims and are as tight as could be.

Has anyone done this? Will it work?

Thanks.

sandyrs
06-06-2017, 09:50 AM
Road tubeless with a bead that isn't road tubeless approved/specific seems like an absolutely terrible idea, but I have no personal experience in this specific realm.

firemanj92
06-06-2017, 10:03 AM
I've done it with Conti 4000's (folding tires) using Stan's. I ran them for a little over a year before buying the tubeless ready tires. The hardest part is inflating them so they do seat. It works but be careful not to overinflate the tires as to blow them off the rim--loud & messy. Once they stretch they are shot and will never seat even with a tube. My main discipline is mtb-ing and I've done tire conversions several times before there were real tubeless tire options on the market.

-J

-dustin
06-06-2017, 10:06 AM
bad idea. a big part of what makes "tubeless road" tubeless road is the bead material.

hollowgram5
06-06-2017, 11:06 AM
I tried, for the sake of experimenting, to mount a non tubeless tires up tubeless to a rim. I did it, and proceeded to make it blow itself off the rim and sprayed sealant everywhere. I didn't even try riding it. That was all in the shop.

There's a new article about tubeless road on the compass cycles blog about specifically this. MTB is different for these conversions because of the lower pressure they operate in.

It's a bad idea. Some people get lucky and 'make it work' but it's still a bad idea. If you go that route, good luck.

Hombre
06-06-2017, 11:25 AM
Don't. I mounted 28c gravel kings to 6800 wheels and the tire blew off at 50 psi while on a test ride down the street. No exactly confidence inspiring...

Cat3roadracer
06-06-2017, 11:31 AM
Well there you go.

Looks like tubes are going back in.

Thanks all.

JStonebarger
06-06-2017, 11:33 AM
Looks like tubes are going back in.

Make sure they're latex.

hobbanero
06-06-2017, 12:28 PM
As pointed out, the bead on a tubeless tire is different. It has far less stretch, which is why they are harder to mount.

The GP4000s is a great tire, but there are now tubeless options that are similar in performance. I have used the Schwalbe Pro One TL and the Specialized Turbo. Rolling resistance tests have shown both to be fast. Grip is good by my simple test (haven't fallen down). Wear is TBD....Contis wear pretty well, although you lose the crown of the tread quickly.

Vittoria has also released a new tubeless tire that rolls faster than anything else in roller tests, but I think it does not have the same level of puncture protection.

JStonebarger
06-06-2017, 12:44 PM
The other nice thing about the GP4000s is that it tests as very aero as well.

fungusamungus33
06-06-2017, 01:56 PM
I met a Conti rep at my old shop (where I was employed) and he was riding GP 4000's tubeless... I told him his was nuts but he said he was two seasons deep on his current set-up...

I'm on Schwalbe Pro One and love them...

MikeD
06-07-2017, 08:56 AM
Even Stans doesn't recommend this.