PDA

View Full Version : Bells for bicycle

roadie7
06-06-2017, 07:03 AM
How many of you have a bell on your bike? I stumbled across several ads and comments about "high quality" bells. Some don't take up much handlebar space and could be useful. I'd like to know if you: have one; if so, do you like it; or don't want one and why.

Thanks

Bentley
06-06-2017, 07:07 AM
I have a small one (spurbell?). I think it's useful, I always announce when I passing other riders, runners, walkers but I notice that I am in the minority. I now add an "early" warning that I am approaching, some folks are startled, but they seem to appreciate knowing that I'm coming by

Best

Ray

rodcad
06-06-2017, 07:09 AM
I have one on my townie bike and my do anything Atlantis. Super nice to have if you ever ride on bike paths. For the street I don't think they are all that useful. Generally roadies are passing me, lol.

pinkshogun
06-06-2017, 07:22 AM
It's on my quill stem...brass Crane

adrien
06-06-2017, 07:43 AM
Spurcycle bells on all my bikes. They are handmade in the USA, very low-profile, look nice and make a very loud "ping".

Please don't buy the Chinese copy that pops up on Amazon.

https://www.spurcycle.com/products/better-bicycle-bell

false_Aest
06-06-2017, 08:31 AM
Lately I've come close to smacking into a few too many people. They've all been in various states of not paying attention or I'm coming around a family with a wobbly 6 year old. If I hit one of them it's probably going to be my fault. People tend not to hear "LEFT!" So I needed another option.

The Spur Cycles bell works really well for me. Mounted next to my Garmin with the bell facing forward so that I can easily hit the trigger with my thumb if I'm on the tops. It seems loud enough to get most people's attention and sometimes works for those with ear phones in or are inside of cars.

My bud has an Incredibell. The Spur is louder and IMO sounds better. Crane bells are nice but all the ones I've seen have a bigger profile than the Spur.

I think $50 for a bell is worth it if it helps prevent a collision.

R00td0wn
06-06-2017, 09:01 AM
I've got an Incredibell on my mountain bike. It's been great for alerting other trail users. The downside is that I ordered the 'oversize' version. Fits great all the way down by my stem, but I've had to rig a shim to make it fit by the shifter/brake lever. That and the thumb hammer (?) can get out of position sometimes because it's on a spring. This tends to happen a couple times a ride and more frequently with bulky winter gloves.

commonguy001
06-06-2017, 09:05 AM
I have Spur Cycle bells on two of my main bikes and Crane E-ne bells on my commuters. I use enough MUTs to get around and out of town that they come in handy on a regular basis.

The Spur Cycle bells are the nicest I've used and I actually like the way the look on the bars.

CSKeller
06-06-2017, 09:12 AM
Spur-cycle and done!! Have one on each of my 3 current road bikes. They are great if you do organized rides. It is much easier to ring the bell than to say "on your left" a thousand times!

firemanj92
06-06-2017, 09:40 AM
Spur-cycle and done!! It is much easier to ring the bell than to say "on your left" a thousand times!

I couldn't agree more, wonderfully made in the U.S.

Look585
06-06-2017, 10:35 AM
The SpurCycle looks great, but $50 for a bell is a bridge too far for me.

Has anyone tried the $5 Chinese knockoffs available on eBay?

MerckxMad
06-06-2017, 10:38 AM
I have Crane bells on my steel allroad bikes and Spur-cylce bells on the racers. I find them useful on bike paths and wondering into pedestrian zones, but not very useful on the road.

veggieburger
06-06-2017, 10:43 AM
I have a basic ding bell on my commuter bike. Works fine, and people don't get too annoyed...I always say thanks when they move to the side.

(Now folks with dogs on extra long leashes taking up the entire path...that's another thread..)

miguel
06-06-2017, 11:13 AM

yes. they're not as good. "dinger stall" in weeks after installation.

mktng
06-06-2017, 11:17 AM
Have a big crane brass bell on the commuter. Works perfectly. Loud and always dings. It's 6 years old and stuff functions fine.

Have a knog oi. Toss it. It's garbage.

Wish I could splurge on a spur cycle. Fully admit I bought a rock bros bell ( the knock off ). 2 years old and zero issues.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

MagicHour
06-06-2017, 11:24 AM
I use one of these Cateye flex tight bells (https://www.cateye.com/en/products/detail/OH-2400/). It's tiny and easily detaches when I don't want a bell on my roadbike. It's not very loud but loud enough to alert people on city bike paths and bridges.

The Spurcycle or Crane ENEs are both very nice-just not easy-on easy off like the Cateye. Will probably end up with one someday.

Put a Incredibell brass duet (https://www.mirrycle.com/item/incredibell-brass-duet/) on my girlfriends beater MTB, that thing is loud! Kinda wish there was a road bike sized model that sounds like that.

cinco
06-06-2017, 11:40 AM
Maybe this should have its own thread, but seems would fit in here just as well. Admittedly, I know nothing about engineering these types of gadgets. I've wondered why there isn't a digital alternative to this. Could sample any number of sounds. Is it battery or speaker size? Why isn't there already something like this available?

Oh, btw, I use the RockBros Spurcycle knockoff from Amazon. Not quite the pretty sound, but not too far off. And no malfunctions yet.

Andy in Houston.

joosttx
06-06-2017, 11:45 AM
The guys that make spur bells are local to the Bay area. Support the home town boys and Make America Great Again on your terms. If you dont someone else will with their vision....

For the black bells spur uses a special coating that doesnt wear off with use. Standard anodization will "rub off" with constant use.

I love my spur. Its easy, small, and has a nice sound.

bking
06-06-2017, 12:30 PM
https://photos.smugmug.com/Tour-de-Bike/Various/i-5jB7qr7/0/815f6981/XL/IMG_3531-XL.jpg
spur bell, black one, right side of bar. don't even notice it.

kevinvc
06-06-2017, 12:33 PM
I have a Spurcycle that I bought as one of their "Frankenbells". It supposedly has a cosmetic defect that made them lower the price, but I honestly don't see any blemish on it. It works well. It's generally loud enough for a little more than half of the people wearing ear buds seem to hear it.

If anything, it can be too loud when used in close proximity to people. In those situations, I semi-muffle it with my hand while ringing it to dampen the decibel level and shorten the length of the tone.

I've learned to never yell "on your left", since it makes too many people either veer to their left, or look over their left shoulder, which causes them to drift left. If using my voice instead of the bell, I'll usually say "coming up behind you" or "good morning".

FL_MarkD
06-06-2017, 12:34 PM
I have both the original Spurcycle and one of the knockoffs that I bought 'spur of the moment' ;) on Amazon.

They look the same, but the original is better quality sound. Worth the extra for the original and after all they should benefit from their innovation.

hobbanero
06-06-2017, 12:40 PM
piling on...+1 for Spurcycle. Really clean sound that carries. I had broken several bells on the mtb before deciding to splurge on the spurcycle, and have since bought several more.

For the mtb, I also use the Lindaret's Belltower, which places the Spurcycle slightly further out from the handlebar to clear thicker grips, clamps, etc. I know...a niche accessory for my niche accessory.
http://www.lindarets.com/belltower

adrien
06-06-2017, 01:26 PM
Don't want to open up politics or trade wars.

I will point out that those considering a copy might avail themselves of some information.

https://cyclingtips.com/2016/08/a-tale-of-two-bells-spurcycle-vs-the-counterfeiters/

joosttx
06-06-2017, 02:13 PM
Don't want to open up politics or trade wars.

I will point out that those considering a copy might avail themselves of some information.

https://cyclingtips.com/2016/08/a-tale-of-two-bells-spurcycle-vs-the-counterfeiters/

It's not much about politics as it is ethics.

one60
06-06-2017, 03:06 PM
Sure, its one of the more expensive bells on the market. But it is the titanium bike frame of bike bells...it will last a lifetime & possibly more!

But the value of avoiding a crash to your body or your bike makes it a smart purchase for anyone who encounters other cyclists, pedestrians or vehicles on their outings.

Then there is the added benefit of remaining calm because you didn't have to yell at an unsuspecting fellow human. In the current political climate anything that keeps tempers at bay is a gift to humanity.

I own three!

FlashUNC
06-06-2017, 03:40 PM
Spurcycle or the King Cage Barbell.

Both great, both made here.

bikinchris
06-06-2017, 04:13 PM
Crane Riten Rotary Bell. All else is a lesser object.

Another decent bell is here:
https://www.dutchbikebits.com/80mm-ding-dong-bell

pdmtong
06-06-2017, 08:36 PM
Put a Incredibell brass duet (https://www.mirrycle.com/item/incredibell-brass-duet/) on my girlfriends beater MTB, that thing is loud! Kinda wish there was a road bike sized model that sounds like that.

Spurcycle for the looks and great (but single flick) sound.

Incredibell-brass-duet for affordability and constant ringing as the lever moves.