PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading kids (24") mtb

heartattackride
06-06-2017, 01:16 AM
I can pro-deal a nice mtb for my son but would like to upgrade some of the parts, other than what I have already around - brakes,bars, seat post, saddle, stem, grips, headset.

1. Do I have to go custom for nice 24" wheels or are there good stock ones out there? Or buy used.

2. 150mm cranks...I'll be running as a 1x. Brand advice? Go Crupi?

3. Tire options? Mostly lose pack where I live.

Thanks,
Eric

ofcounsel
06-06-2017, 01:25 AM
Check out trailcraft cycles. They have really well thought out options that are reasonably priced. Wheelsets and cranks in particular.

http://www.trailcraftcycles.com/compontents/trailcraft-wheelsets

ofcounsel
06-06-2017, 01:34 AM
Here's a pic of a Transition Ripcord 24" I bought for my son. Many of the upgrade items were spares I had my garage.

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s81/ofcounsel/1422C9FF-200C-41C5-9B30-4EB49D6C0A55_zpsrallytan.jpg

Garage spare upgrades included:
Easton EC70 carbon bars
Niner carbon seatpost
Raceface Turbine stem
Sram XX cassette

Wheels were custom built for the bike (Stans Crest Mk III, Sapim spokes w/alloy nipples, Bitex hubs). I also added the Schwalbe Rocket Ron tires (running tubeless), Ashima rotors, lightweight ti skewers and a T.H.E. saddle.

The bike weighed 30 pounds stock w/o pedals, but final weight of the bike was 23 pounds all-in with pedals.

firemanj92
06-06-2017, 09:46 AM
Trailcycles has short crank lengths and wheels as stated previously-family owned business. Also check out the bmx world for cranks. My kids have been running GT AL speed cranks (respectively) single 4 arm cranks for a couple years on CK bottom brackets. They come in 135-165mm lengths and RF NW chainrings bolt right up.

Tires-I have ordered from Schwalbe-Blackjacks

Crupi's I don't think come in 4 arm only 110bcm-5 arm

-J

a4racer
06-06-2017, 11:18 AM
I can pro-deal a nice mtb for my son but would like to upgrade some of the parts, other than what I have already around - brakes,bars, seat post, saddle, stem, grips, headset.

1. Do I have to go custom for nice 24" wheels or are there good stock ones out there? Or buy used.

2. 150mm cranks...I'll be running as a 1x. Brand advice? Go Crupi?

3. Tire options? Mostly lose pack where I live.

Thanks,
Eric

Eric, I echo the previous posters' sentiments on looking at trailcraft.

That having been said, I had an amazing experience and got an amazing set of wheels from oldpotatoe here on the forums. XT hubs tied to Stan's Crest rims (24"). His work was stellar, his service amazing, and the wheels were perfect. Unfortunately for me, a growth spurt essentially catapulted (trebuchet-ed?) my kid from 20" to 26" wheels, so I ended up selling the wheelset locally, brand new. I'd reach out to Peter (oldpotatoe) and see if he can help.

heartattackride
06-07-2017, 06:21 PM
Hi guys,

Sorry for the slow response. I appreciate your input.

That Transition is sweet! For now my budget is a too low to create anything similar. The Trailcycles wheels though look like a great value. Having looked around since my post it seems Schwable has a nice 24" tire.

ofcounsel
06-07-2017, 09:06 PM
Hi guys,

Sorry for the slow response. I appreciate your input.

That Transition is sweet! For now my budget is a too low to create anything similar. The Trailcycles wheels though look like a great value. Having looked around since my post it seems Schwable has a nice 24" tire.

Thanks!

And Trailcraft is pretty good about responding to any questions too!

Cheers!

Tony
06-07-2017, 10:08 PM
Here's a pic of a Transition Ripcord 24" I bought for my son. Many of the upgrade items were spares I had my garage.

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s81/ofcounsel/1422C9FF-200C-41C5-9B30-4EB49D6C0A55_zpsrallytan.jpg

Garage spare upgrades included:
Easton EC70 carbon bars
Niner carbon seatpost
Raceface Turbine stem
Sram XX cassette

Wheels were custom built for the bike (Stans Crest Mk III, Sapim spokes w/alloy nipples, Bitex hubs). I also added the Schwalbe Rocket Ron tires (running tubeless), Ashima rotors, lightweight ti skewers and a T.H.E. saddle.

The bike weighed 30 pounds stock w/o pedals, but final weight of the bike was 23 pounds all-in with pedals.

Nicely done!

HenryA
06-08-2017, 09:35 AM
The Trailcraft bikes look great!!!!

ofcounsel
06-08-2017, 07:33 PM
Nicely done!

Thanks! My son is loving it. We'll be doing some Bike Park riding at Snow Summit this season.