PDA

View Full Version : Another Wheel Thread

fatsanta92
06-05-2017, 05:19 PM
So, I'm looking for a wheel set for my Scott Addict Team Issue that'll be the primary wheel set. I've got a RM02 for bad weather so they're not going to get used in the rain.

But I've got a dilemma. So far I've found:

Racing Zero Nite HG wheelset for $782
Racing Zero Competition Wheelset for $820
Racing Quattro Carbon H40 for $806
PR 1400 Dicut Oxic Clincher for $776
Mavic Ksyrium Pro SL C Clincher for $676
Mavic Cosmic Pro Clincher for $990

All but the DT Swiss can go SLIGHTLY lower or higher (depending on currency fluctuations)
Really not sure which to go with here. Weight is a concern, but so is reliability.

ultraman6970
06-05-2017, 06:01 PM
I would ring potato and get a wheelset made by him.

makoti
06-05-2017, 06:17 PM
I would ring potato and get a wheelset made by him.

Or Ergott (link in the banner above)

sales guy
06-05-2017, 06:26 PM
If weight and reliability are key, go with the Fulcrum wheels. Parts are readily available. They internals are the same and have been for years VS Mavic who changes every couple years and then stops selling parts for them.
And DT needs special tools many shops won't have.

Fulcrum are solid, durable, relatively light and work well.

Let me know if you want something.

fatsanta92
06-05-2017, 06:36 PM
If weight and reliability are key, go with the Fulcrum wheels. Parts are readily available. They internals are the same and have been for years VS Mavic who changes every couple years and then stops selling parts for them.
And DT needs special tools many shops won't have.

Fulcrum are solid, durable, relatively light and work well.

Let me know if you want something.

Do you have a recommendation between the Fulcrum options? Not sure of the difference between the Zero Models outside of the black rim and apparent stiffness while the Quattro is more aero.

And to those suggesting a custom wheel, I frankly know VERY little about options for wheel builds/builders/anything related.

makoti
06-05-2017, 07:43 PM
And to those suggesting a custom wheel, I frankly know VERY little about options for wheel builds/builders/anything related.

All the more reason to ask one of those suggested. Tell them what you are after & see what they would suggest for you. Prices are not going to be out of line to those you posted. Worth the ask, no?

fatsanta92
06-05-2017, 08:13 PM
All the more reason to ask one of those suggested. Tell them what you are after & see what they would suggest for you. Prices are not going to be out of line to those you posted. Worth the ask, no?

Certainly, but I'm not even sure what my options are, for anyone or anything.

Literally know nothing. Someone mentioned potato, not sure who that is.

weisan
06-05-2017, 08:21 PM
Someone mentioned potato, not sure who that is.

What???!!!!
You don't know who potatoe is??
That's like saying you have never heard of Elvis Presley....actually that's quite alright, my 14-yr-old son doesn't know who Elvis is either.

The only thing you need to know about potatoe is....he's old...I mean....really old!

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=203985

cmbicycles
06-05-2017, 08:36 PM
Certainly, but I'm not even sure what my options are, for anyone or anything.

Literally know nothing. Someone mentioned potato, not sure who that is.
First, welcome to the forum.

OldPotatoe (Peter) is often on the forum offering campy or wheel knowledge gleaned from a bazillion years of owning a shop (Vecchios) in the Republic, also light-heartedly calling people Nancies, espousing the superior bottom bracket threading, and correcting people who spell peleton [emoji14] incorrectly. He builds excellent wheels in his retirement and overhauls Campy shifters blindfolded with one arm tied behind his back. ;)
The old Spud, Ergott, along with a handful of other members of the forum are professional wheelbuilders and would be happy to help design a wheel that fits your budget, weight, aesthetic and use requirements. They know what questions to ask and can offer advice on plenty of hand built options for wheels that will be at least as good, most likely better, than the ones you linked above.

fatsanta92
06-05-2017, 08:46 PM
Awesome. I'll do some research on my own so when I do get in touch with one of them it doesn't sound like they're speaking a foreign language.

Thanks guys!

shinomaster
06-05-2017, 08:48 PM
I like my Shamals even more than my Fulcrum racing 1's and those are awesome.

DrSpoke
06-05-2017, 09:00 PM
You may want to go to the "In The Know Cycling" website and link to the ProBikeKitUK website. You can then use the 10% discount code (ITK10, up to $55) on some very nice Campagnolo wheels. These include Shamal Mille, Ultra (C17 & 15), 2WayFit (C17 & 15), and Eurus - at some very good prices.

sales guy
06-05-2017, 09:11 PM
Do you have a recommendation between the Fulcrum options? Not sure of the difference between the Zero Models outside of the black rim and apparent stiffness while the Quattro is more aero.

Santa,

Since all of the Fulcrum wheels are the same as Campagnolo Wheels, mainly with a Shimano option VS just Campy bodies on Campagnolo wheels, they are all solid choices. The regular Racing Zero is the same as a Shamal. Those are awesome wheels. Not crazy light, but a good solid, stiff, stable wheel. And again available in a Shimano body.

And yes, the rim depth is the major difference between them.

Custom wheels are always an option. It gives you the chance to build whatever you want. Pricing is pretty competitive to what you're looking at. And a nice thing is the parts used would be available everywhere.

I've got a couple sets in the Q right now including a set for PEZ Cycling News. It's nice cause I am able to build them up with something different for Charles and we can build it along the lines of the rest of the review bike. This will have a set of White Industries hub polished really bright with bright polished Campagnolo Potenza components. So they'll match nicely. Which is an advantage to custom wheels.

If you have any other questions, let me know. happy to answer them.

saab2000
06-05-2017, 09:20 PM
I recently got a set of Boyd Altamonts and a set built by Ergott Global Industries. I'm super happy with both and both are serviceable if a spoke ever breaks.

Just sayin'......

There's life in handbuilt wheels yet, what with newer high quality rims and some really neat hub options available.

These are the recent Ergott wheels, built with Pacenti Forza rims and Wheels Mfg. hubs. D

Don't discount some handmade wheels without at least talking to Mr. Potato or Ergott or anyone else who has a lot of experience. They're better than they were 20 years ago. With these hubs and rims the tension is very good on the rear wheel.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4186/34438528585_bcf04359db_c.jpg
https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4190/34393291926_cc2e34e06f_c.jpg
https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4170/34434807305_a681894b8f_c.jpg
https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4163/34393288926_c0f3300b6c_c.jpg

Andy sti
06-05-2017, 10:09 PM
In the classifieds right now are two sets of wheels with Pacenti SL23 rims and WI or Shimano hubs. Both of these are way better than any of those wheels you listed and you'll have plenty of money left over for some nice tires.

ultraman6970
06-05-2017, 10:31 PM
Dude has like 5 posts, so doesnt surprise if he doesnt know who potato is.

What???!!!!
That's like saying you have never heard of Elvis Presley....actually that's quite alright, my 14-yr-old son doesn't know who Elvis is either.

The only thing you need to know about potatoe is....he's old...I mean....really old!

oldpotatoe
06-06-2017, 10:39 AM

Email or PM your needs, desires, riding type, what you are going to use the wheels for and Ergott or I can design a set specifically for you and your needs...rather than a wheelset that uses proprietary and often unsupported, rims and spokes.

shinomaster
06-06-2017, 09:32 PM
Anyone us the new open pro yet? Looks amazing.

sales guy
06-06-2017, 10:12 PM
Anyone us the new open pro yet? Looks amazing.

It's not available. According to Mavic they cancelled it. At least thats what the internal website says. They don't even have it on their Mavic site.

RC.
06-06-2017, 11:38 PM
It's not available. According to Mavic they cancelled it. At least thats what the internal website says. They don't even have it on their Mavic site.

Cancelled? What's the scuttlebutt?

sales guy
06-07-2017, 06:32 AM
Cancelled? What's the scuttlebutt?

Not sure. It just says MATERIAL CANCELLED
I could call and ask but they probably won't say the real reason.

oldpotatoe
06-07-2017, 06:42 AM
Not sure. It just says MATERIAL CANCELLED
I could call and ask but they probably won't say the real reason.

Maybe the wedge that held it together for welding broke loose and made noise...:rolleyes:

oldpotatoe
06-07-2017, 06:48 AM
What???!!!!

easy big fella...

sales guy
06-07-2017, 07:49 AM
Maybe the wedge that held it together for welding broke loose and made noise...:rolleyes:

HA! Then they need to cancel every single rim they make!

shovelhd
06-07-2017, 08:37 AM
ha! Then they need to cancel every single rim they make!

lol!!!!

shinomaster
06-07-2017, 12:20 PM

my lbs said they could get them but they were $200 each.

sales guy
06-07-2017, 04:59 PM
my lbs said they could get them but they were $200 each.

Not sure how given they don't have them on the dealer site. But yeah, they are expensive. Retail is listed at $179.95