PDA

View Full Version : Shop grade pump?

notsew
06-05-2017, 01:54 PM
I need to buy a pump for a shared storage/shop space.

To those of you in shops or other abusive environments, what lasts the longest? I'm leaning towards this pedros: http://pedros.com/products/tools/wheel-and-tire/super-prestige-floor-pump/

Willing to spend some dollars on this for something that will last a few years.

thanks.

FlashUNC
06-05-2017, 02:01 PM
Silca Ultimate.

Hombre
06-05-2017, 02:02 PM
High quality, smooth pumps, durable chuck.
http://www.jensonusa.com/JensonUSA-Hi-Polish-Floor-Pump

zmudshark
06-05-2017, 02:08 PM
I have a Joe Blow Pro that I bought used years ago. I leave it in a garage in Phoenix all Summer, and it always works. Easy to read gauge, decent chuck.

Seems pretty nice for the price, and replacement parts are easy.

druptight
06-05-2017, 02:10 PM
I hate Specialized, but I've had outstanding luck with their Airtool pump as have numerous other people I know.

Schrader/Presta compatible without fidgeting with it, unlike some of these linked where you have to unscrew and re-attach things to switch between - which would be a must for me in a shared space.

Beefy and reliable with a chuck that I've never had in issue with engagement on. I think I have the "comp" version. Looks like the HP version might be the modern equivalent. Just don't get the sport version, the plastic end on the chuck won't last as long.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/equipment/accessories/air-tool-hp-floor-pump/117280

cmbicycles
06-05-2017, 02:21 PM
I've had a Joe Blow for 20+ years working great, I like the top mount gauge. I also have a Specialized Airtool Pro that is nice and stable but the pump head rips out valves for some reason. When I was working in shops none of the modern pumps held up well without something major breaking that we couldn't get parts for anymore, except the old Silca pump. That pump is still going and has gotta be 40+ years old.

Bentley
06-05-2017, 02:34 PM
So I have a few old Silca's that work great, but for something modern I would offer that the Lyzne is really solid, but I bought an SKS based on a review I read somewhere and that works great too.

Ray

bikinchris
06-05-2017, 02:36 PM
Doing Multi day ride support is SUPER hard on pumps. I would put out up to 10 air pumps (depending on the number of riders) and let the riders pump their own. Many pumps just don't make the grade. Three that do:

The original Silca Super Pista with a Tanaka pump head (they just couldn't get the hang of the original head)

Pedros Super Prestige (best head choice for both presta and schraeder)

SKS Airmenius (Awesome pump, just that the head doesn't really like schraeder valves that much)

biker72
06-05-2017, 02:56 PM
I hate Specialized, but I've had outstanding luck with their Airtool pump as have numerous other people I know.

Schrader/Presta compatible without fidgeting with it, unlike some of these linked where you have to unscrew and re-attach things to switch between - which would be a must for me in a shared space.

Beefy and reliable with a chuck that I've never had in issue with engagement on. I think I have the "comp" version. Looks like the HP version might be the modern equivalent. Just don't get the sport version, the plastic end on the chuck won't last as long.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/equipment/accessories/air-tool-hp-floor-pump/117280

+1
Excellent pump.

fourflys
06-05-2017, 03:18 PM
I have this pump without the fancy head on it and love it... (plus, I can't afford a Silca!) had a couple Joe Blows and they always seemed to fail on me and it was the same when I worked at the shop for a bit...

anyway, here is what I use-
http://www.lezyne.com/product-fpumps-hp-alloyY9.php#.WTW8F8bMzBI

Blown Reek
06-05-2017, 03:25 PM
The original Silca Super Pista with a Tanaka pump head (they just couldn't get the hang of the original head)

If someone can't figure out how to use an original Silca head correctly, they need to take off their SPD sandals, remove themselves from their recumbent and try another sport.

Climb01742
06-05-2017, 04:46 PM
Only a small thing to add: I like pumps with a tripod-like base (like the Specialized) rather than a two-legged base (like Pedro's). Three legs are more stable, and less likely to tip over, banging into a frame.

auto_rock
06-05-2017, 04:51 PM
One more "shop grade" thing - I've seen huge variability on pressure readout so recommend a pressure gauge "leashed" to the pump

Ken C
06-05-2017, 06:00 PM
I have this same pump and totally agree with the comments below.

ultraman6970
06-05-2017, 06:02 PM
I have a really cheap pump but what i did was change the chuck for a silca like 10 + years ago when I bought it and I cant complain, still works pretty good. It is more about the chuck than the pump you know.

happycampyer
06-05-2017, 06:06 PM
For the money, the SKS Airmenius is the beefiest pump. Definitely shop quality. I ended up winning a Silca Ultimate at a silent auction for a charity, and it is no doubt the most refined floor pump made. But it's beyond shop quality, it's heirloom quality. Also have a Joe Blow, Park and original Silca Pista. The SKS is the closest thing I've ever used to the Silca Ultimate.

sales guy
06-05-2017, 06:22 PM
i have 3 shop pumps. For road I use a Lezyne Alloy Floor Drive with the 3.5" gauge. Goes up to 220psi. Stable base. Looks good. Never had a single issue with it. Full alloy base, barrel, shaft and handle. Braided hose.

I also have a Lezyne Alloy Dirt Drive pump for mountain tires. Wooden handle, alloy base, alloy barrel and shaft. Bigger hose, 60psi 2.5" gauge. Pumps up man tires fast.

And I have a Lezyne Digital Shock Drive floor pump. This is just for suspension use.

I also have a travel pump from Lezyne too.

I've never had an issue with mine. I have gotten pumps from Silca. Love them. But for a shop pump, too much money.

bikinchris
06-05-2017, 06:35 PM
If someone can't figure out how to use an original Silca head correctly, they need to take off their SPD sandals, remove themselves from their recumbent and try another sport.

Agreed. But there was only one of me and as many as 400 of them, so I couldn't always take the time to teach them. More than once I had to rescue my brass nut and rubber 323 gasket from a riders wheel where they unscrewed it from the head and left it there.

charliedid
06-05-2017, 07:35 PM
For the money, the SKS Aermenius is the beefiest pump. Definitely shop quality. I ended up winning a Silca Ultimate at a silent auction for a charity, and it is no doubt the most refined floor pump made. But it's beyond shop quality, it's heirloom quality. Also have a Joe Blow, Park and original Silca Pista. The SKS is the closest thing I've ever used to the Silca Ultimate.

Agree

http://www.sks-germany.com/en/products/airmenius/

MaraudingWalrus
06-06-2017, 08:44 AM
I like lezyne pumps for personal use, but if it's going to be used by a customer the lezyne pump heads seem to leave people confused.

I've got a Birzman pump I quite like, but the heads have the same sorts of issues as Lezyne pumps, people who won't (or can't) be bothered to learn to use the head correctly will break it.

I have air bob pump heads on all the pumps kicking around the shop for general use now, except for my Birzman which moves between home and house depending on I'm not sure what, which has a Silca press-on head.

AngryScientist
06-06-2017, 08:54 AM
one of the most important features for shop use would have to be a wide, sturdy base. the ones with a narrow base constantly fall over, which is generally where all the wear comes from.

just an additional thought.

charliedid
06-06-2017, 09:12 AM
i have 3 shop pumps. For road I use a Lezyne Alloy Floor Drive with the 3" gauge. Goes up to 220psi. Stable base. Looks good. Never had a single issue with it. Full alloy base, barrel, shaft and handle. Braided hose.

I also have a Lezyne Alloy Dirt Drive pump for mountain tires. Wooden handle, alloy base, alloy barrel and shaft. Bigger hose, 60psi 2.5" gauge. Pumps up man tires fast.

And I have a Lezyne Digital Shock Drive floor pump. This is just for suspension use.

I also have a travel pump from Lezyne too.

I've never had an issue with mine. I have gotten pumps from Silca. Love them. But for a shop pump, too much money.

Do you still rep Lezyne? ;-)

charliedid
06-06-2017, 09:16 AM
I like lezyne pumps for personal use, but if it's going to be used by a customer the lezyne pump heads seem to leave people confused.

I've got a Birzman pump I quite like, but the heads have the same sorts of issues as Lezyne pumps, people who won't (or can't) be bothered to learn to use the head correctly will break it.

I have air bob pump heads on all the pumps kicking around the shop for general use now, except for my Birzman which moves between home and house depending on I'm not sure what, which has a Silca press-on head.

I have a Leyzyne (new) and a 30+ year old Silca and both have Topeak heads on them making them better than the originals. The new smart head on the Lezyne, even with the "fix" from them still drove me bonkers.

Clean39T
06-06-2017, 10:34 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Velowurks-Prime-Floor-Pump-Pump-Velowurks-Prime-Floor-Pump-W-gauge/362000036681

I've had that in my eBay cart for months and haven't pulled the trigger. I heard good things about it on here and like the design.

Also heard good things about the SKS Rennkompressor.

sales guy
06-06-2017, 10:47 AM
I have a Leyzyne (new) and a 30+ year old Silca and both have Topeak heads on them making them better than the originals. The new smart head on the Lezyne, even with the "fix" from them still drove me bonkers.

Lezyne has a new head like the Birzman ones. But they also sell a traditional double valve/lever style head.

sales guy
06-06-2017, 10:48 AM
Do you still rep Lezyne? ;-)

I don't but I have a ton of parts left from when I was a boss guy there. I can also still get stuff for people obviously if people need something.

notsew
06-06-2017, 10:51 AM
Good stuff from all. Thanks.

I need ease of use (there are definitely some mechanically challenged people using this space) and compatibility with both valves types (kids bikes have Schrader). Leaning towards specialized or SKS (though that velowurks is pretty cool looking...)

:beer:

firemanj92
06-06-2017, 11:32 AM
I had a blackburn for 25 years, loved it. But last year I decided to buy a Velo. I didn't think pump technology would/could have changed that much. But now the kids can inflate road tires with ease. There are a lot of choices out there.

-J

oldpotatoe
06-06-2017, 11:53 AM
I need to buy a pump for a shared storage/shop space.

To those of you in shops or other abusive environments, what lasts the longest? I'm leaning towards this pedros: http://pedros.com/products/tools/wheel-and-tire/super-prestige-floor-pump/

Willing to spend some dollars on this for something that will last a few years.

thanks.

Compressor with a presta head and gauge?

hokoman
06-06-2017, 12:37 PM
I just received an SKS pump this past week while I was in CA. The pump is tall and the dial is HUGE! I used it to pump up 2 tires when I went for a ride, and it felt nice. If I was taller, it would be a bigger plus. Nice pump for the price - I think I paid ~$100 shipped for mine.

bikinchris
06-06-2017, 03:57 PM
Good stuff from all. Thanks.

I need ease of use (there are definitely some mechanically challenged people using this space) and compatibility with both valves types (kids bikes have Schrader). Leaning towards specialized or SKS (though that velowurks is pretty cool looking...)

:beer:

Of the pumps you asked about, the Pedros is a great pump and tough as hell. The SKS Airmenius is my current favorite along with the Pedro's.

charliedid
06-06-2017, 04:55 PM
Lezyne has a new head like the Birzman ones. But they also sell a traditional double valve/lever style head.

I know, they sent me a half dozen for replacement/warranty etc. I still think they need some work though. I'd say the same about the Birzman which sits outside the shop for customers. That too has a Topeak head!

sales guy
06-06-2017, 05:29 PM
I know, they sent me a half dozen for replacement/warranty etc. I still think they need some work though. I'd say the same about the Birzman which sits outside the shop for customers. That too has a Topeak head!

So they make 7 heads.

an alloy 90 degree for discs(threads into a flip chuck)
a composite 90 degree for discs(threads into a flip chuck)
a gold High Pressure ABS Flip chuck
a red High Volume ABS Flip Chuck
a red high pressure ABS 2 90 degree lock
a gold High volume ABS 2 90 degree lock
a double valve with locking lever.

I use the ABS Flip Chucks mainly. I like that they thread on so you don't break valves. But for speed, I get the benefit of the standard locking lever ones.

I posted pics of the three main types

parris
06-06-2017, 08:35 PM
The shop I worked in years ago had the mechanic stations plumbed for air. The chucks were a Frankenstein deal that had a Silca head attached to a short length of hose to the push button air blower deals. We just switched to a regular chuck for Schrader valves.

jlwdm
06-06-2017, 09:20 PM
So they make 7 heads.

an alloy 90 degree for discs(threads into a flip chuck)
a composite 90 degree for discs(threads into a flip chuck)
a gold High Pressure ABS Flip chuck
a red High Volume ABS Flip Chuck
a red high pressure ABS 2 90 degree lock
a gold High volume ABS 2 90 degree lock
a double valve with locking lever.

I use the ABS Flip Chucks mainly. I like that they thread on so you don't break valves. But for speed, I get the benefit of the standard locking lever ones.

I posted pics of the three main types

I have a Lezyne pump and am finally satisfied with it with the third chuck, the red ABS2.

Jeff

sales guy
06-06-2017, 10:14 PM
I have a Lezyne pump and am finally satisfied with it with the third chuck, the red ABS2.

Jeff

Good.

Not sure why they didn't keep the gold for the ABS 2 head as a HP, VS a HV. Would've made more sense. But hey, that was always something I complained about.

charliedid
06-07-2017, 08:14 AM
Have tried the red one on two separate pumps and many different bikes. Me no like.

sales guy
06-07-2017, 04:56 PM
Have tried the red one on two separate pumps and many different bikes. Me no like.

I'm more a fan of the gold ABS Flip Chuck 1. I have the red ABS 2 but dont use it. I like threading them on so they don't break the valves.