PDA

View Full Version : So a dog made me crash today

stephenmarklay
06-03-2017, 01:31 PM
I am fine but I went over the bars and my levers and seat got all boogered up. So I am contemplating visiting the owner and asking him to replace those items.

Another option is to just call the local animal control and press charges.

Or last I can count my blessings and move on with my day?

What says you?

cat6
06-03-2017, 01:37 PM
Need more info. How did the dog make you crash?

stephenmarklay
06-03-2017, 01:43 PM
I was riding by the home and two dogs ran out. They were charging fast as I went up a steep grade in front of the home.

I stuck my foot out to keep some distance between one of them and my leg but i was standing and unbalanced. I grabbed too much brake with my weight biased over the front in an attempt to stop and over I went.

The dogs got scared of the debacle and decided the fun was over.

msl819
06-03-2017, 01:46 PM
I would say we need more info too... I live in an area where dogs can be an issue. However, the same owners who let their dogs run free can be a much bigger concern for cyclist than their pets. Before I visited a homeowner and asked for several hundred dollars of parts to be replaced I would make sure I wasn't stirring up a larger hornets nest.

CiclistiCliff
06-03-2017, 01:46 PM
**** happens. Unless the dog owner was directly responsible, as in extendoleash catching your bike, it's on both of you.

Pressing charges? Jesus. Everyone is so fast to go that route, it's infuriating.

Did you slow down and use reason? If a car is parked and you hit it, do you blame the car?

CiclistiCliff
06-03-2017, 01:47 PM
I was riding by the home and two dogs ran out. They were charging fast as I went up a steep grade in front of the home.

I stuck my foot out to keep some distance between one of them and my leg but i was standing and unbalanced. I grabbed too much brake with my weight biased over the front in an attempt to stop and over I went.

The dogs got scared of the debacle and decided the fun was over.

So you panicked and fell. Congrats.

stephenmarklay
06-03-2017, 01:53 PM
**** happens. Unless the dog owner was directly responsible, as in extendoleash catching your bike, it's on both of you.

Pressing charges? Jesus. Everyone is so fast to go that route, it's infuriating.

Did you slow down and use reason? If a car is parked and you hit it, do you blame the car?

It is strictly illegal to allow your dog to be off your property unleashed in this county. It is the responsibility of the owner to abide by the law.

stephenmarklay
06-03-2017, 01:57 PM
So you panicked and fell. Congrats.

I asked this question as a sincere attempt to get opinions. Your decided to troll.

CiclistiCliff
06-03-2017, 01:58 PM
And you can be a decent person and inform the owner or you can be difficult and call whomever you think. If it happens every time, that's different.

Do you use your blinkers every time? Stay at the speed limit? Never exceed posted speed limit on the bike? Come to a complete stop every time?

mcfarton
06-03-2017, 01:59 PM
If you are not hurt, I would just chalk it up. If I was hurt it would be different. Poop happens, glad you are ok.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

CiclistiCliff
06-03-2017, 01:59 PM
This is not trolling. All my answers have been on topic.

PepeM
06-03-2017, 02:03 PM
I would move on.

cat6
06-03-2017, 02:04 PM
Considering the dogs ran away after your spill I'm thinking they never really intended to rip you to shreds. Likely just dogs being dogs.

If you talk to the owner frame it with concern for the animals potentially getting hit by a car by running in the street. Then mention your crash.

Don't dwell on it too much though, there's still a lot of weekend to enjoy. :beer:

Seramount
06-03-2017, 02:25 PM
if there was no physical contact with the animals and you confront the owner, be prepared for a less than warm reception.

if one of them grabbed you by the leg and pulled you down to the payment, you might get an apology, but even that's a long shot.

getting money because they simply spooked you and you crashed out...? ain't gonna happen.

Matthew
06-03-2017, 02:35 PM
Glad you are ok, sorry about the bike. I am not going to pile on here and make you feel even worse. Others have done that. It's a tough call. If the dogs didn't run out to you I am guessing you don't go down. I would think pretty much everyone here on the forum would have panicked a bit with TWO dogs running after them. The owner was nowhere in sight? Too bad they did not come out to check on you then. You may have had some leeway at that point since they would have seen the damage. Not likely to do any good to try to press things now. Hopefully your parts are ok to use and maybe down the line you can replace them. Matthew

radsmd
06-03-2017, 03:02 PM
I am not a lawyer, just my opinion.

There are laws regarding negligent dog owners who allow their dogs to run free or off leash. If the dogs cause an accident while not under the control of the owner, then the owner is indeed liable. The harder question is did the dogs cause you to fall? Based on your description, I would say yes. The owner would be liable.

How do you know the dogs are not dangerous? What if next time they run after a toddler or kid and injures or kill? Is that ok?

Jad
06-03-2017, 03:24 PM
Sorry you fell/glad you're ok. The dogs shouldn't be out running at anybody period, friendly or not.

If you were to try to communicate, I agree that it would best be done framed as concern for future cyclists and for the dogs themselves. If you do that and the owners are contrite, good. If not, at least they know. In any event, be careful.

Tony
06-03-2017, 03:31 PM

There are laws regarding negligent dog owners who allow their dogs to run free or off leash. If the dogs cause an accident while not under the control of the owner, then the owner is indeed liable. The harder question is did the dogs cause you to fall? Based on your description, I would say yes. The owner would be liable.

How do you know the dogs are not dangerous? What if next time they run after a toddler or kid and injures or kill? Is that ok?

This. The owner/owners are liable.

johnniecakes
06-03-2017, 03:31 PM
The dogs came towards you but did they leave their property? If you reacted to them running but they did not contact you and leave their property I would say just chalk it up and glad it was not worse.

John H.
06-03-2017, 03:34 PM
It also may be difficult to go back and address this with the owner since you are home, cleaned up, etc..
It would have carried more weight to go right to the owners door after the crash- all scraped up and whatnot-

msl819
06-03-2017, 03:42 PM
While that is true that there are leash laws, the irritation and disdain that you may cause in the homeowner for people on bikes moving forward would be a bigger concern for me. One more drivier trying to prove their disgust for Cyclists isn't worth the cost of fixing parts that likely still work but are cosmetically damaged. They obviously don't care about the leash law, the welfare of anyone injured by their dogs, or their dog being hit by a car. Pointing fingers or filing police reports now likely goes nowhere but down.

PepeM
06-03-2017, 04:08 PM
What if next time they run after a toddler or kid and injures or kill? Is that ok?

Bit of a leap there mate.

tuscanyswe
06-03-2017, 04:21 PM
While that is true that there are leash laws, the irritation and disdain that you may cause in the homeowner for people on bikes moving forward would be a bigger concern for me. One more drivier trying to prove their disgust for Cyclists isn't worth the cost of fixing parts that likely still work but are cosmetically damaged. They obviously don't care about the leash law, the welfare of anyone injured by their dogs, or their dog being hit by a car. Pointing fingers or filing police reports now likely goes nowhere but down.

What about the next guy who gets chased or bitten or worse?
I will always understand ppl who dont bother filing reports i just dont understand how one can advice not to do it tbh .)

Ken Robb
06-03-2017, 04:25 PM
We have a 10 pound dog and a 13 pound dog. The dogs and I were in a HUGE off-leash area on Fiesta Island in Mission Bay. A man on a mountain bike rode by within 3 feet of us and the 13 pounder took off after him barking like crazy. He, like many dogs, loves to chase fast-moving things. The cyclist stopped with the bike between him and my dog who also stopped and stood there wagging his tail. When he figured the chase game was over he came trotting back to me.
Our 10 pound female has no interest in chasing bikes, skateboards, etc. so I can walk her on a leash along the boardwalk which has MANY riders, boarders, skaters mixed in with pedestrians and it's all fine but the boy wants to bark/chase most things that are not pedestrians. Obviously we keep them on leashes except at dog parks.

I have been chased a few times by bigger dogs. Sometimes I stopped them by yelling "NO!" and sometimes I just kept pedaling until they lost interest. I wasn't really worried that they would bite me but I was concerned that they might get under my wheel and cause a crash that would hurt us both.

It's hard to predict canine behavior but if dogs have been minding their own business while cars and pedestrians passed by they might lose all interest in chasing a cyclist who stopped and became a pedestrian/human being like all the people they ignored as a matter of course.

rwsaunders
06-03-2017, 04:34 PM
Why is filing a report by the OP a bad thing? If the dogs were off the leash and the OP was being chased, whether he fell or not via contact has nothing to do with it.

I had a dog chase me last week because a woman couldn't hold onto the leash. "Don't worry he doesn't bite, he just chases wheels." That was reassuring. I came to a halt, got off of the bike, placed it between me and the dog and gave a yell. It turned around and ran off and she told me that I was a mean person. No thought on her part that it was a 50# Boxer mix with a leash in tow chasing down a stranger. Arse.

As a parent of a kid who was bitten by "friendly" dog when she was four years old...file the report as it'll happen again.

makoti
06-03-2017, 04:56 PM
It is strictly illegal to allow your dog to be off your property unleashed in this county. It is the responsibility of the owner to abide by the law.

Then I'd bring it up with the owner first. I hate going anywhere near animal control. Always worried that something will happen that will cause the dog to be taken or, worse, put down.
If the dog leaves the property, it's on the owner. Simple.

Matthew
06-03-2017, 04:59 PM
So don't do anything about it because it may piss off the dogs owner and cast a negative light on cyclists? Really? You can't be serious. I can see not pushing for a resolution financially in this particular case since he left the scene but informing the owner that his dogs chased a cyclist and caused a crash would be a bad thing? The OP taking a bunch of heat in this thread, and blame from a few here is mind boggling to me. And the belief that the dogs could not potentially hurt or kill someone in the future is just dumb. Just check the news every week.

FlashUNC
06-03-2017, 05:05 PM
If they're chasing you every time up the hill, yeah, its a problem. But people leave a gate open, they dig a hole under the fence. Whatever, it happens.

Bring it up with the owners, but not in the "you owe me something" way. As others mentioned the "hey, your dogs could get hurt" way will get you a lot more mileage.

And next time use a frame pump or a squirt from the water bottle. Don't go waving your leg at something with teeth.

572cv
06-03-2017, 05:07 PM
This. The owner/owners are liable.

I appreciate the OP's courage in asking opinions on this. There are many passionate dog companions (AKA 'owners') out and about. If the dogs caused your accident, and if there are leash laws in your area, then I would consider it a courtesy to tell the owner what happened. If it were to happen again, with more serious outcomes, that owner might be liable for at least a struggle in court, which would take time and money just for defense. If that could be avoided by better dog management, well, everyone wins.

Bruce K
06-03-2017, 05:31 PM
The one thing I have not been able to figure out is if the dogs actually left the property or not (did I muss that?).

I also don't know whether the leash law in that area allows for free run as long as they don't leave the property (electric fences?).

That might have some impact on the situation.

If they didn't leave the actual property, then a chat regarding the safety of the Luis might work. But, as others have said, it might just create more problems.

Thus us a tough one.

BK

msl819
06-03-2017, 05:32 PM
What about the next guy who gets chased or bitten or worse?
I will always understand ppl who dont bother filing reports i just dont understand how one can advice not to do it tbh .)

I hear ya... but what about the next guy who's riding along the same stretch of road and gets harrassed by an aggressive driver because someone else tried to get them in trouble. All I am saying is it goes both ways. A very courteous conversation, preferably at the time of the accident, may have been the best way to go. Action taken after when it is basically one persons word can sometimes be more harmful.

Where we ride, dogs are a way of life. They have caused more than one accident. Homeowners have been contacted. Seldom do they care. Seldom do the dogs not still roam free. This happens in more rural areas and in their minds their dogs being there more than you. Is that wrong? Sure! Will that same person remember that the next time they see on or a group of us in bike in their neck of the woods? They do here... and I doubt that mindset in local to just us.

I gave my advice because he came here and asked for it. What he does with it is totally up to him.

efaust_o
06-03-2017, 05:36 PM
if there was no physical contact with the animals and you confront the owner, be prepared for a less than warm reception.

if one of them grabbed you by the leg and pulled you down to the payment, you might get an apology, but even that's a long shot.

getting money because they simply spooked you and you crashed out...? ain't gonna happen.

This ^

Oct. 11, 2016.....no time to react, hit dog coming out of shadows(early morning) ...impact hitting dog square, endo, fractured helmet, mild concussion, two fractured vertebrae, multiple abrasions, broke Envy fork, owner witnessed, no offer for help, dog ran off...group ride so had assistance, in rural community no insurance on that shack....can't get blood out of a turnip...move on, you have your health now, but maybe not later?

tuscanyswe
06-03-2017, 06:01 PM
I hear ya... but what about the next guy who's riding along the same stretch of road and gets harrassed by an aggressive driver because someone else tried to get them in trouble. All I am saying is it goes both ways. A very courteous conversation, preferably at the time of the accident, may have been the best way to go. Action taken after when it is basically one persons word can sometimes be more harmful.

Where we ride, dogs are a way of life. They have caused more than one accident. Homeowners have been contacted. Seldom do they care. Seldom do the dogs not still roam free. This happens in more rural areas and in their minds their dogs being there more than you. Is that wrong? Sure! Will that same person remember that the next time they see on or a group of us in bike in their neck of the woods? They do here... and I doubt that mindset in local to just us.

I gave my advice because he came here and asked for it. What he does with it is totally up to him.

I hear ya.. .)

I just think that option is a slippery slope as it can ofc be applied to many other situations as well. Where does that road end, not in a good place imo.

stephenmarklay
06-03-2017, 06:28 PM
The dogs came towards you but did they leave their property? If you reacted to them running but they did not contact you and leave their property I would say just chalk it up and glad it was not worse.

The dog was in the middle of the street and I made contact with his snout as he jumped at me.

Peter P.
06-03-2017, 06:30 PM
Obviously the dogs were unleashed. If they left the property and as you say there are local leash laws, then the owner needs, as minimum, a visit by Animal Control. It may not result in a fine, but sometimes the warning is enough as the owner will know they are on notice.

I doubt you'll be able to reason with the owner; the rule of law seems to make the strongest impact on most people, as they could give a cr@p about most strangers.

Without the dogs having knocked you down or bitten you, it sounds like your own actions contributed to the crash. Before you repair your bike or any injuries heal, take both you and the bike to Animal Control (sometimes they'll visit YOU) and file a complaint. They'll do the rest.

stephenmarklay
06-03-2017, 06:31 PM

Thanks, the owner the home (farm style residence) had just left. I approached and the dogs saw me. They likely followed his truck out. The drive was about a 1/4 mile long. After, the dogs left back to the house and I realized they were not going to attack me, I rode up to the house. Nobody was home.

stephenmarklay
06-03-2017, 06:40 PM
I really appreciate the advice everyone.

I think I will report the incident to animal control as above. I have done this with other dogs/owners but it never helped. Regardless, it could have been a worse situation. In principle I don’t think me falling and not getting hurt and me falling and getting hurt should be viewed differently. If there was no dogs I would not have fallen and the dogs by law should not be chasing folks. That is not the dogs fault mind you. If I were a dog I would chase me too.

I have had the most luck with dogs that I see frequently, stopping and being a bit nicer. Stopping usually is enough to make them lose interest.

Today that was exactly what I was attempting to do. Since I was on a grade of 10-15% I was standing with a lot of weight on the bars and actually almost in a sprint. I had not even seen the two dogs and since they have never been out before it was very unexpected. When I went to stop I just misjudged how much brake I needed on that incline and weight bias.

msl819
06-03-2017, 06:41 PM
Thanks, the owner the home (farm style residence) had just left. I approached and the dogs saw me. They likely followed his truck out. The drive was about a 1/4 mile long. After, the dogs left back to the house and I realized they were not going to attack me, I rode up to the house. Nobody was home.

Sounds like that was the best option. A visit tomorrow afternoon to follow up and discuss with civility could be an option as well. Easy in with, "I stopped by yesterday but you had just left but wanted to let you know..."

If it were me I would rather have you come to my house and visit with me in person than get a notice from local law enforcement that a report had been filed. Again for me... it would be much easier to get irritated at a name less, faceless person, who filed a report against me than someone who approached, was polite, did not make accusation or threats and seemed genuinely concerned for both their well being as well as the well being of my animals.

weisan
06-03-2017, 07:00 PM
Stephen pal, I am glad you are not hurt too badly, get some rest, don't let this incident spoil the entire weekend.

efaust_o
06-03-2017, 07:04 PM
[QUOTE=stephenmarklay;2183494]I really appreciate the advice everyone.

I think I will report the incident to animal control as above. I have done this with other dogs/owners but it never helped. Regardless, it could have been a worse situation. In principle I don’t think me falling and not getting hurt and me falling and getting hurt should be viewed differently.

Sure there is...you want to talk about monetary damages, there certainly is anytime you talk about medical, potentially lost wages and pain & suffering....yes reporting is a facade they almost laughed me off the phone...but I did what I thought was right, which is what we have to live with in the end....good luck and glad you're OK

djg21
06-03-2017, 07:23 PM

It just doesn't matter. Unless you filed a somewhat contemporaneous police report or had witnesses, how are you going to prove what happened? The owners will say the dogs never left the yard and you fell due to your own carelessness or error. You can try speak with the owners if you like, but if you are self-righteous and make demands, you're likely going to be told to go pound sand. But who knows, maybe they'll be sympathetic and offer?

If this just happened, you might call the local animal control officer to let he/she know. The Animal Control Officer may visit the owners to put them on notice, and there will be a record if there is another incident involving the dogs.

R3awak3n
06-03-2017, 07:42 PM
I think before reporting anything, you talk to the owners. Why are people so afraid to talk to each other. Why the passive agressive?

Talk to them, see what they say then if they don't do anything then maybe yes consider calling animal control.

jtakeda
06-03-2017, 07:46 PM
If this happened to me I'd talk to the owner and tell them what happened.

If they offered to help pay for some of the damage great.

If not, its a dog, your stuff is replaceable, just be happy you didnt get hurt.

Now if it happens AGAIN with the same dogs, different story.

Tickdoc
06-03-2017, 08:43 PM
Ouch. I did the same this spring. I did not contact owners, just took my lumps and went on.

Irresponsible dog owners will be around as long as dogs have tails and sniff each other's butts.

I used the accident to upgrade my bars and had to buy a new helmet, then just filed the whole event under "$hit happens".:bike:

Hope you heal well and watch by the road.

makoti
06-03-2017, 08:51 PM
If this happened to me I'd talk to the owner and tell them what happened.

If they offered to help pay for some of the damage great.

If not, its a dog, your stuff is replaceable, just be happy you didnt get hurt.

Now if it happens AGAIN with the same dogs, different story.

If he doesn't file the first report, it won't be.

pbarry
06-03-2017, 09:00 PM

+1 Contacting animal control is the right thing to do.

Multiple dog owner here. They are always in house/yard or on leash, unless we're in the middle of a 40 acre+ field or in the remote backwoods.

Peter P.
06-03-2017, 10:17 PM

Exactly. There has to be a record of the incident, even if there is no evidence or witnesses. Should other cyclists encounter the same dogs, and file with the ACO, then a pattern will be established. Then the ACO can take action.

OtayBW
06-04-2017, 07:00 AM
Yup - I would file a report to Animal Control, but through the local Sherriff. Indicate the fall and damage to the bike, and state your willingness to discuss with the owners. See where that goes. I would not want to engage the owners directly as a first step. My $0.02.

oldpotatoe
06-04-2017, 07:40 AM
I am fine but I went over the bars and my levers and seat got all boogered up. So I am contemplating visiting the owner and asking him to replace those items.

Another option is to just call the local animal control and press charges.

Or last I can count my blessings and move on with my day?

What says you?

I would visit the owner, let him/her know what happened, say your piece, not ask for $, don't get in their face and then move on. Dogs not controlled are the owners fault, period.

joosttx
06-04-2017, 08:40 AM

One way to look at this which I would assume the dog owner's camp would see it is an experience cyclist, as the OP claims, should not of fallen in the situation. And that the OP "crash" was fabricated for a pay day. Has the OP had a history of suing people for personal injury etc.?

Obviosuly not saying this is the situation. I would be a d&ck to say so. But you have to be a d!ck so you doing the screwing and the not the other way around.

Personally I would just walk away.

At the very most let the dog owner know what happen is a very positive and polite way. And not ask for any money.

dumbod
06-04-2017, 12:36 PM
I'm not for a moment doubting your story but how exactly are you going to prove it?

Any legal action is going to involve burden of proof which is completely on your shoulders. Unless there's something that you've left out, you can't even prove where you fell much less what the cause was. By all means, proceed with action if it makes you feel better but don't expect the law to take any action unless there have been other complaints about the dogs.

happycampyer
06-04-2017, 01:19 PM
I'm not for a moment doubting your story but how exactly are you going to prove it?

Any legal action is going to involve burden of proof which is completely on your shoulders. Unless there's something that you've left out, you can't even prove where you fell much less what the cause was. By all means, proceed with action if it makes you feel better but don't expect the law to take any action unless there have been other complaints about the dogs.Isn't this a catch-22? If everyone who is chased by these dogs comes to the same conclusion, then there will never be any complaints about the dogs. And who knows, there might already be previous reports. And if there isn't a record, at least one is started.

unterhausen
06-05-2017, 12:00 AM
I would report. In some states there needs to be multiple reports

giverdada
06-06-2017, 09:09 PM
well this is a tough one. practically a politics-potential for lockdown opinions flaring, but everyone seems to be behaving well enough thus far.

first: super sorry to hear about your incident, and super glad that you're okay.

second: my lady is not okay, has not been okay for months, and all this because almost the same thing happened to her, but she was in a public place, dog charged into her path from bushes on the side, and she hit it at full speed to land on her head and sustain a concussion.

third: we're slowly coming round, as a partnership and a family and she has been amazing throughout the entire arduous ordeal, but i'd go back and undo all of the days from that one just to not have to live this crap again.

dogs are dogs, not humans, and if the sign says put the damn thing on a leash that you can hold onto, keep it on the damn leash! i feel the rage smouldering here so i'll stop, but if we're going to live by life-altering rules, we should follow the life-altering rules or move to somewhere else where the rules are different.

last: what if she killed the dog? she didn't; it yelped and ran away while she lay there becoming a survivor, but what if the dog had sustained damage? vet bills these days would easily beat out her bike bills. (vet bills could not possibly match or outweigh the detriment to quality of life or whatever lawyers call it, but that's another story.) what if your spokes cut off the dog's left nostril and now it can't smell the kibbles and the owner wants to make you pony up for that nostril refacilitation rehab at the pavlovian muttcare facility? :D i don't know. and i don't think that would be right, but i think humans are distinct from dogs in rights and privileges, and i live in a place where it's slightly less likely for someone to successfully sue mcdonald's for burning themselves with their own damn coffee. whatever the case, i'm glad that your human brain is okay. i wouldn't wish a TBI on anyone.

stephenmarklay
06-06-2017, 10:07 PM
well this is a tough one. practically a politics-potential for lockdown opinions flaring, but everyone seems to be behaving well enough thus far.

first: super sorry to hear about your incident, and super glad that you're okay.

second: my lady is not okay, has not been okay for months, and all this because almost the same thing happened to her, but she was in a public place, dog charged into her path from bushes on the side, and she hit it at full speed to land on her head and sustain a concussion.

third: we're slowly coming round, as a partnership and a family and she has been amazing throughout the entire arduous ordeal, but i'd go back and undo all of the days from that one just to not have to live this crap again.

dogs are dogs, not humans, and if the sign says put the damn thing on a leash that you can hold onto, keep it on the damn leash! i feel the rage smouldering here so i'll stop, but if we're going to live by life-altering rules, we should follow the life-altering rules or move to somewhere else where the rules are different.

last: what if she killed the dog? she didn't; it yelped and ran away while she lay there becoming a survivor, but what if the dog had sustained damage? vet bills these days would easily beat out her bike bills. (vet bills could not possibly match or outweigh the detriment to quality of life or whatever lawyers call it, but that's another story.) what if your spokes cut off the dog's left nostril and now it can't smell the kibbles and the owner wants to make you pony up for that nostril refacilitation rehab at the pavlovian muttcare facility? :D i don't know. and i don't think that would be right, but i think humans are distinct from dogs in rights and privileges, and i live in a place where it's slightly less likely for someone to successfully sue mcdonald's for burning themselves with their own damn coffee. whatever the case, i'm glad that your human brain is okay. i wouldn't wish a TBI on anyone.

This is what I meant by should it be different if someone gets hurt or not? Fundamentally I don’t think so. At least in as much as what the owners responsibility is.

I am so sorry about your wife. I wish her a speedy and full recovery.

onekgguy
06-06-2017, 10:36 PM
FWIW, this was my experience awhile back.

https://vimeo.com/206773296

Kevin g

moose8
06-07-2017, 05:24 AM
FWIW, this was my experience awhile back.

https://vimeo.com/206773296

Kevin g

I enjoyed watching that - did they actually end up paying in the end?

To the OP for what it's worth I'd report it simply so there is a record of some sort so when it happens to the next guy and results in something serious they can't say they didn't know. Talking to them might work too, but a lot of times people get super defensive or aggressive and may not be worth it. I wouldn't bother asking for reimbursement but you could let them know what happened and if they are stand up people they may offer. But seeking it otherwise will not be worth the hassle.

onekgguy
06-07-2017, 06:53 AM
I enjoyed watching that - did they actually end up paying in the end?

To the OP for what it's worth I'd report it simply so there is a record of some sort so when it happens to the next guy and results in something serious they can't say they didn't know. Talking to them might work too, but a lot of times people get super defensive or aggressive and may not be worth it. I wouldn't bother asking for reimbursement but you could let them know what happened and if they are stand up people they may offer. But seeking it otherwise will not be worth the hassle.
Yes, I received a check for the amount of the judgement less than a week after taping the show. The show actually pays the award. It costs the defendants nothing other than some public humiliation.

Kevin g

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

chiasticon
06-07-2017, 07:32 AM
I would visit the owner, let him/her know what happened, say your piece, not ask for $, don't get in their face and then move on. Dogs not controlled are the owners fault, period.this. at this point, you have no way of proving what even happened if you decided to file a report. so why bother? had you confronted them right away and the owner's response is "f*ck you, get off my property" (which it might be, never know) then I'd say file a report. way too late for that now.

dog encounters suck. glad you're OK overall and that it wasn't worse.

I swear, it's always when you're on a hill or otherwise gassed when they strike, right? :(

giverdada
06-07-2017, 07:35 AM
good on you. that was great to see some kind of legal understanding of the plight of cyclists, and a public airing of the stupidity of animal owners who can't own up to the responsibility of their (in)action. ugh. just rode past an offleash dog on the way to work this morning, owner summoned it with treats (in a public park, next to the 'owners must have dogs on leash' sign), held its collar, then I hear the man yelling, 'Toby! Toby come back here!'. Effin idiots. Ground my teeth and went slowly on my way.:crap:

shovelhd
06-07-2017, 09:08 AM
Wow, onekgguy, you managed to keep yourself from strangling that woman. Unfortunately, her attitude is common.

redir
06-07-2017, 09:40 AM
Yes, I received a check for the amount of the judgement less than a week after taping the show. The show actually pays the award. It costs the defendants nothing other than some public humiliation.

Kevin g

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Haha! Hey cool! You got your 15 minutes of fame and all ya had to do was state your case and sit back and watch the judge rip apart the defendants!

The verdict of course was exactly right, it's the dog owners fault. Period.

To the OP, report the incident if for any reason to get those people on some sort of radar. FWIW a couple friends of mine got seriously injured by a dog, broken bones and so on. They thought they would do the right thing and talk to the owners who turned out to be a real D-bag so they sued him for as much as they could get. Good!!!

onekgguy
06-07-2017, 11:02 AM
Wow, onekgguy, you managed to keep yourself from strangling that woman. Unfortunately, her attitude is common.

Thanks! There was one clip that didn't make the final cut where I politely wanted to dispute what she'd said about me riding my bike x amount miles from my home. I raised my index finger and the judge looked over at me and said "Put your hand down -- you're winning!" She then went off on the couple as you see in the video. It wasn't until that moment that it all became quite surreal for me and I just thought, 'wow -- so this is how it works'.

And for the record -- never in my life did I ever imagine being on the show. I filed the case with our local county court. Shortly before the case was to be heard we received a request from Big Ticket Productions to appear on their show. The defendants reached out to us to ask us to please consider doing it. This way we could get paid and they could get a free trip to Hollywood (They apparently didn't have any spare funds.). Plus, my daughter was excited for me to do it and I couldn't disappoint her. Honestly though, had the defendants offered even half of my out of pocket expenses I'd have gladly accepted that and quietly walked away. The judge was absolutely correct in her summary of the defendants' attempts to dismiss me and my response to them.

Kevin g

azrider
06-07-2017, 12:27 PM
The entitlement with 'some' dog owners has gotten out of control lately. The fact the OP was ostracized by some is mind boggling. My favorite is seeing people who can't even go to the grocery store without their "mr cuddles" riding shotgun.....(and the dog putting his a$$ in the same place I put my bananas and deli meat...................awesome)

Dog's should be leashed and if they're not the owner is absolutely responsible. If a report is not filed then it'll continue to happen.

redir
06-07-2017, 12:56 PM
That's a great story onek especially since in the end it worked out well for every one.