PDA

View Full Version : Odd deals on EBay

Bentley
06-03-2017, 06:23 AM
Not sure if anyone noticed but there are a bunch of very odd auctions for some Colnago's on EBay. Real low starting prices but as you scroll down its really some kind of BIN. I think this is highly suspicious. I posted a PSA on an auction like this previously, but the seller seems to have several ID's.

Cicli
06-03-2017, 06:30 AM
Link?

rallizes
06-03-2017, 06:57 AM
Link?

here's one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Colnago-C40-World-Champion-full-carbon-fiber-full-Record-Eurus-wheels-more-/302338569669?hash=item4664c875c5:g:xjQAAOSwZKBZMlD U

don't waste your time :)

Bentley
06-03-2017, 07:08 AM
here's one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Colnago-C40-World-Champion-full-carbon-fiber-full-Record-Eurus-wheels-more-/302338569669?hash=item4664c875c5:g:xjQAAOSwZKBZMlD U

Should have posted a link , but there are literally a ton of listings. I agree to avoid, but I suffer from "avoiding a crazy deal" syndrome .

😀😀

Ray

Cicli
06-03-2017, 07:11 AM
here's one

Yeah, another hacked account. Seen this before. Sacm.

Every sale is 1000 bucks.

I made an offer.

rePhil
06-03-2017, 07:41 AM
I have seen Thor's 585 posted a few times as well:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/302338570760?ul_noapp=true

Bentley
06-03-2017, 07:41 AM
EBay needs to do a better job policing this. Similar activity on group sets from China. I have reported this in the past, but the problem does not really fit their model.

rePhil
06-03-2017, 07:46 AM
Double post for some reason

unterhausen
06-03-2017, 07:54 AM
shouldn't these have come down by now? They are just using ebay for advertising, and since a purchase is not possible through ebay, they will not get fees. That's the sort of thing ebay is somewhat militant about

Cicli
06-03-2017, 08:00 AM
shouldn't these have come down by now? They are just using ebay for advertising, and since a purchase is not possible through ebay, they will not get fees. That's the sort of thing ebay is somewhat militant about

Fleaybay is only on it during normal business hours.
They are likely still in bed.

smontanaro
06-04-2017, 01:15 PM
EBay needs to do a better job policing this.

There has been a lot of discussion of this subject over on Classic Rendezvous, where a bunch of listings seem to be pirating the full content of many of Barry Scott's (eBay: pb*bikes) listings. There are others which seem more similar to the now deleted Colnago listing.

I can understand how people can get a handle on "source" listings of interest and scrape them from searches set up via sites like SearchDome. It's not clear how they've figured out the bank/payment angle, but it appears they have.

It would seem some have found a new way to exploit eBay/PayPal. Hopefully, they are on top of it. I carried on an exchange via Twitter direct messages wherein they implied they do more than just respond to take down requests from users, but were mum on just what they are doing. I can't imagine take down requests from a group of niche collectors will ever allow them to keep ahead of the torrent of fraudulent listings. They will have to implement some significant automation.

paredown
06-04-2017, 02:42 PM
Funny--there was a set of fraudulent listings last week that I tried to report.

The procedure--the click box script--for users to report potential fraud is even stupider/more cumbersome than it used to be, if that is possible.

Plus these were reported on a Saturday--and the listings were still up on Monday--and had bids.

While I would like to believe that eBay is working on some grand scheme, it appears to me that in the short term the group of real humans that responded to notification of fraudulent listings has been gutted (I'm guessing cost savings).

A few years ago, the time from notification from me (and possibly others) to a listing being taken down was a matter of hours--not any longer.