PDA

View Full Version : Zipp 303s vs Corima 32mm rims

maslow
06-03-2017, 05:11 AM
As a treat to my wife I'm having a set of carbon wheels built for her using a set of brand new Chris King r45 hubs one of the chaps at my club had going for a good price.

The hubs are both 24 hole but I can if need be get hold of a 20 hole front (She only weighs 8.5 stone / 119 lbs with a power to weight of a tad under 3.6 watts per kilo).

I plan to use either Zipp 303s or Corima 32mm depth rims.

I can get a good deal on Zipp 303s (2016 rims) both 24h front and rear or build them up with Corima's 32mm depth model that can be found for a very good price on a couple of German sites. I think anything deeper than this would mean she'll only want to ride them when it's not windy.

I'd be very interested to hear any members experiences with the Corima rims. I'm sure the Zipp 303s would be good but one chap I've spoken with believes the Corina rims really are quite special but as they don't have the same marketing budget as a company such as Zipp just aren't seen quite as often.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

tuscanyswe
06-03-2017, 05:43 AM
I have had a few wheelsets from both zipp n corima. Both are really nice rims /wheels imo. Fyi the 303 would be more comparable with corima 47mm rims than the 32s.

Currently my fav wheels are corima 32s with tune hubs and aerolight spokes. Solid n light without issues..

Braking is better on modern zipps imo especially in the wet. Bit of a non issue for me tho.

Will be nice wheels either way!

maslow
06-03-2017, 07:35 AM
Thanks for the quick response. Any views on the corima cork pads? We're campagnolo users and I've heard the pads for campag shoes can be hard to source. Or do you use an alternative brake pad?

Like you they won't be deliberately ridden in wet weather.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

tuscanyswe
06-03-2017, 07:48 AM
I had the red cork pads for campy shoes by corima on my first set but i think the campy made (red for carbon) pads i currently use are at least as good and are less loud aswell. + the corima pads are easy to break when installing.

Think i remember buying them directly from corimas webshop so not that hard to source, at least not a couple of years back

Mzilliox
06-03-2017, 08:00 AM
I have a set of Corima clinchers on Royce hubs. the bikes other potential heels are hyperons ond bora 35s tubulars.
some days i think the corimas are the most stiff and fast of the trio. hard to say though. they are lovely wheels though. im not sure they will be as durable as the Campagnolo wheels, but time will tell that story.

uber
06-03-2017, 08:11 AM
I have used the red Corima for Campy brake pads on the Corima 70mm wheels. They worked very well, but they are very expensive to buy in the US. I believe Corima was one of the the earliest manufacturers of carbon bike wheels. My wheels have a foam core and they are very quiet for aero wheels.

maslow
06-03-2017, 11:59 AM
I have used the red Corima for Campy brake pads on the Corima 70mm wheels. They worked very well, but they are very expensive to buy in the US.

They're quite expensive here in the uk as well and yes, I've heard they can be a little fragile when installing. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

tuscanyswe
06-03-2017, 03:12 PM
What site has the "cheap" corima rims?