PDA

View Full Version : Cornering on a city fixie

justinf
08-24-2006, 02:13 PM
Any secrets from other fixie riders?

I've been riding a Charlotte city loop where it's easy to pick up with other fast riders, but my cornering technique leaves a lot to be desired (i.e. I have to slow way down so I don't slam my low pedal into the pavement). I subsequently get dropped every time at a certain corner that follows a long descent. thx, j

Samster
08-24-2006, 02:18 PM
1. if you have a road frame, you'll have a lower bottom bracket... so getting shorter cranks is one step.

2. try speedplays.

3. when cornering, lean with your body before you start leaning your bike. you'll find that the resulting shift in center of mass will take you a considerable ways through your turn.

4. when in doubt, slow down... which is better than going down.

dvancleve
08-24-2006, 03:06 PM
Are you running small(ish) pedals? I have had a pedal strike once on my commuter fixee (never on my bigger geared one), but I have big old BMX pedals on it. I would suppose if I put some Eggbeaters, TIME ATACs, Frogs, whatever that it probably wouldn't happen again.

Doug

Any secrets from other fixie riders?

I've been riding a Charlotte city loop where it's easy to pick up with other fast riders, but my cornering technique leaves a lot to be desired (i.e. I have to slow way down so I don't slam my low pedal into the pavement). I subsequently get dropped every time at a certain corner that follows a long descent. thx, j

Dekonick
08-24-2006, 03:55 PM
SLOW down before you turn :)

Use a cyclocross frame? (on the cheap you can get the Surly Crosscheck with horizontal drops...)

Try mountain pedals.

Enjoy! :)

justinf
08-24-2006, 04:08 PM
Mountain pedals are a great idea. I'm using Impact Pros currently. Not sure what my BB drop is (the frame is a converted Seven Odonata road) but I'll check it out.

Ray
08-24-2006, 05:33 PM
Mountain pedals are a great idea. I'm using Impact Pros currently. Not sure what my BB drop is (the frame is a converted Seven Odonata road) but I'll check it out.
The other thing to try is to put whatever pedals on it you're planning to use, put one of the pedals down at 6 o'clock, lean the bike in that direction and see how far you can lean it before hitting the pedal (click a shoe in if the pedal is small enough that the shoe is likely to hit first). You may find that the lean is so extreme that you can't imagine ever putting yourself in that position. In which case, relax and go for it.

Or you may hit it in a position you CAN imagine yourself leaning into, in which case you can get different pedals, a different frame, or don't lean the bike as far. I don't know - I don't corner very aggressively on a fixie to begin with so its a non-issue here, but that's what I'd do if I was concerned.

-Ray

Dekonick
08-24-2006, 07:14 PM
I find that once you do a pedal strike you will learn to go slow on a fixee. It is easy to corner at enough of an angle to have issues. I use ATAC's and liked them sooo much I have put them on every bike I own and have the Look's sitting in a drawer.

Good luck!

Oh; I use 170 cranks on the fixee, but 172.5 everywhere else. Some say to go to 165...

Enjoy! Its a blast. :)

Fixed
08-24-2006, 07:57 PM
find the right line
cheers

flydhest
08-24-2006, 08:44 PM
I can't believe no one has brought up Waldening. You gotta practice, but you can get yourself into the rhythm where you rock the bike back and forth to keep the pedal off the ground. You only need it in rare circumstances in my experience.

The hard-core alternative, of course, is to skid through the turn. If you can do that, you're even more of a stud than I thought you were . . . and that's saying something.

shoe
08-25-2006, 12:09 AM
justin hey i think i remember you saying you are using the eccentric hub. if you didn't try this already give it a go. if the hub is spun up to create tension spin it down and tighten it and that will raise your bb...man it was good chattin with you last weekend....dave

justinf
08-25-2006, 08:28 AM
Thanks fellas. I went for it this morning and had the slightest pedal tap, further down than I thought I could go so that's cool. I think I know what to work with. I will try to improve that a bit with the eno and perhaps some pedals.

I'll leave the skidding corners to the real studs. Seth?