PDA

View Full Version : For those in Utah, be real careful out there.

sales guy
06-02-2017, 08:29 PM
This guy needs fired and more. He's condoning the assault of people all for riding a bike.

http://kutv.com/news/local/city-councilmember-suggests-cyclists-should-be-run-off-the-road

Louis
06-02-2017, 08:41 PM
There's a lot of that going around these days - people who for some reason feel aggrieved or otherwise threatened by some group of "others" are pushing back more and more aggressively, some verbally, some at the ballot box, others with actual physical violence.

unterhausen
06-02-2017, 09:10 PM
needs a Bernard Hinault response

when I rode in Utah, it was fine. I am pretty sure I got less road rage than just about anywhere else I have lived. Of course, I have mostly ridden in Appalachia, and the people in Appalachia would run their own kids off the road.

Mr. Pink
06-02-2017, 09:55 PM
As a skier, I always thought it was such a tragedy that some of the finest skiing in the world is right next to that awful metropolis at the base of the Wasatch. There's a real edge to driving in that place. Scary at times. And I grew up in NJ.

exapkib
06-02-2017, 10:20 PM
Disappointing, to be sure, but it sure makes you appreciate the extra accountability that comes from easily recording and disseminating public meetings. I think in the long haul an incident like this actually works to strengthen the case of those working toward increased bicycle-friendly infrastructure in a city.

We've been lucky down here in Provo to enjoy the leadership of a mayor who has worked hard to improve bicycle infrastructure in the city. Huge difference for me as an individual, but also easy to see that bike traffic overall is up.

bking
06-03-2017, 12:10 AM
As a skier, I always thought it was such a tragedy that some of the finest skiing in the world is right next to that awful metropolis at the base of the Wasatch. There's a real edge to driving in that place. Scary at times. And I grew up in NJ.

Are you in SLC? I drive there often as we have an office there and don't see that at all.

unterhausen
06-03-2017, 08:11 AM
maybe he was there when a lot of people were there from out of town. I find it hard to believe that the driving culture has changed all that much since I was there last. I had my complaints, but it usually was people driving too slowly, not aggressive driving. But don't get me started about Idaho and Wyoming drivers.

thwart
06-03-2017, 08:14 AM
needs a Bernard Hinault response

when I rode in Utah, it was fine. I am pretty sure I got less road rage than just about anywhere else I have lived. Of course, I have mostly ridden in Appalachia, and the people in Appalachia would run their own kids off the road.
Love it. Almost a coffee out the nose moment.

exapkib
06-03-2017, 08:55 PM
Good things (http://www.ksl.com/?sid=44449357&nid=148&title=salt-lake-county-launches-valleywide-bike-plan) are happening here too, just for the record.