PDA

View Full Version : tires for the trainer

vqdriver
06-02-2017, 12:49 PM
anyone actually use trainer specific tires? heat buildup hasn't been a problem, but the main issue i'm having is squeaking noises from slippage. it's very distracting and seems to carry thru the house at night. i've messed around with the tension on the flywheel but i can't seem to eliminate the squeaking.

fwiw, trainer is a 1up that i bought specifically to cut down on the noise level of my old-azz minoura

fiamme red
06-02-2017, 12:52 PM
Try tightening the knobs first with the tire partially inflated. Then inflate the tire to the full pressure.

Clean39T
06-02-2017, 12:56 PM
I use a Continental trainer-specific tire on my Kinetic RnR mounted on a dedicated rear wheel with an 11-23 cassette. It's quiet, durable, and the narrow-range cassette is really nice for incrementing the difficulty.

I use regular tires on my Kreitler rollers.

MagicHour
06-02-2017, 01:06 PM
I use a Vittoria Zaffiro trainer tire in the winter, and a Vittoria Rubino Pro III in the on season so I can ride outdoors too (I only have one bike at home, and ride trainer year round). With my Kinetic Road Machine 2.0 - the trainer tire is a little quieter than the Rubino, but not by much.

Occasionally try wiping down the roller and tire with rubbing alcohol to remove tire/roller residue - usually helps? Other things to try: make sure roller tension is proper per mfr specs; when mounting bike make sure the bike/tire is in a straight line and is centered on roller - sometimes if the bike is slightly tilted to the left or right it can make the tire/roller interface not as smooth. Hope this helps.

Ti Designs
06-02-2017, 01:09 PM
I put the trainer tire on the front wheel to test the placebo effect...

shovelhd
06-02-2017, 02:05 PM
I have a dedicated trainer wheel with a Tacx Blue trainer tire. Works great. I do use a lot of pressure though, 110psi.

LJohnny
06-02-2017, 02:22 PM
Yes indeed Tacx do recommend 117 psi. That's what I use and I have no noise or slippage. Dedicated trainer tire as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MattTuck
06-02-2017, 02:35 PM
Isn't this a thread that should only occur in the winter, or maybe fall... :) Certainly not when we're 3 weeks from the longest day of the year :D

vqdriver
06-02-2017, 03:10 PM
Ha, yeah for sure.
But i was always a weekend warrior anyway since i dont get back from work until late, no matter the season

Clean39T
06-02-2017, 03:39 PM
Ha, yeah for sure.

But i was always a weekend warrior anyway since i dont get back from work until late, no matter the season

Sad but true for many of us - or for those days where we just don't feel like sucking rush-hour exhaust for a short ride.

bitpuddle
06-04-2017, 03:56 AM
I'm not a fan of trainer-specific tires. When I had a wheel-on trainer, I'd just use old tires. Keeping both the tire and trainer wheel clean helped with noise and slipping.

asiantrick
06-16-2017, 06:11 PM
Rubino Pro

RonW87
06-16-2017, 07:39 PM
I'm not a fan of trainer-specific tires. When I had a wheel-on trainer, I'd just use old tires. Keeping both the tire and trainer wheel clean helped with noise and slipping.

Yeah, I don't get it. Regular cheap tires are way less expensive than trainer-specific tires. Even good tires are cost-effective if they're near-end-of-life tires from your road bike.

yashcha
06-16-2017, 08:02 PM
I often had unexplainable flats while using regular tires on the trainer. A shop recommended I try a trainer tire and since then, no mystery flats while on the trainer. Because of my lifestyle 90 percent of my rides are on the trainer so maybe about 1,000 hours on this specific tire in the last 6 years.

false_Aest
06-16-2017, 08:29 PM
i like summertime trainer threads.

that's dedication yo!

Ronsonic
06-17-2017, 08:51 PM
Isn't this a thread that should only occur in the winter, or maybe fall... :) Certainly not when we're 3 weeks from the longest day of the year :D

I'm about to break out the old Blackburn trainer. It won't stop raining here, except when I'm in bed or at work.