PDA

View Full Version : Big George gets Skee-ROOed!

BumbleBeeDave
08-24-2006, 11:02 AM
Unbelieveable Schumacher could get away with this . . .

http://www.velonews.com/race/int/articles/10753.0.html

BBD

Bruce K
08-24-2006, 11:25 AM
Why?

One could get paranoid and say that George is a Discovery rider and an American so for many that's enough to look the other way.

BK

Keith A
08-24-2006, 11:25 AM
It certainly doesn't seem fair that Schumacher should be able to profit from taking out the current leader of the GC in the closing meters of a race -- whether it was on purpose or not. Sometimes, I do wonder if there is an anti-American bias from the UCI.

Gothard
08-24-2006, 11:27 AM
So unfair. Reminds me of NAS(ty)Car racing...

Edit: Keith, you still wonder?? I don't. And I am not even American....

Serpico
08-24-2006, 11:28 AM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=20541

swoop
08-24-2006, 02:15 PM
look.. you go into the last stage with one second between you and losing and there are risks involved. yes it sucks.. but.. george should have had more time into everyone. there are no sure things.
the guy did come across into him... but george was only therre in the sprint because his lead was so small...
when you are winning a stage race by the skin of your teeth.. anything can happen. that's really the issue. i feel bad for george but i also feel bad for the kid that won. yes he came off his line.... but in a final sprint with that much on the line.. sh*t happens and it did.
that's sprinting, that's bike racing.
george needed a bigger gap coming into the last stage. that's the part of the race he could exert his control over. if i'm in a stage race and winning by a few seconds coming into the final sprint.. i'm worried.
it sucks. i feel bad for the dude.... but he lost.

Ray
08-24-2006, 02:23 PM
It certainly doesn't seem fair that Schumacher should be able to profit from taking out the current leader of the GC in the closing meters of a race -- whether it was on purpose or not. Sometimes, I do wonder if there is an anti-American bias from the UCI.
Gotta disagree Keith. If it was intentional, then he obviously shouldn't be able to profit from it. But if he got forced off his line into George and couldn't realisitcally have avoided it, there's no way he should be punished for that. Bottom line - did Schumacher do anything wrong? If yes, penalize him. If not, don't. Is anyone accusing him of taking him down on purpose?

-Ray

sspielman
08-24-2006, 02:23 PM
look.. you go into the last stage with one second between you and losing and there are risks involved. yes it sucks.. but.. george should have had more time into everyone. there are no sure things.
the guy did come across into him... but george was only therre in the sprint because his lead was so small...
when you are winning a stage race by the skin of your teeth.. anything can happen. that's really the issue. i feel bad for george but i also feel bad for the kid that won. yes he came off his line.... but in a final sprint with that much on the line.. sh*t happens and it did.
george needed a bigger gap coming into the last stage. that's the part of the race he could exert his control over. if i'm in a stage race and winning by a few seconds coming into the final sprint.. i'm worried.

Live by the sword......

George has a bit of a rep for "hands-on" riding from what I have heard over the years....

Keith A
08-24-2006, 02:35 PM
Gotta disagree Keith. If it was intentional, then he obviously shouldn't be able to profit from it. But if he got forced off his line into George and couldn't realisitcally have avoided it, there's no way he should be punished for that. Bottom line - did Schumacher do anything wrong? If yes, penalize him. If not, don't. Is anyone accusing him of taking him down on purpose?Actually, the more I have thought about this, there really doesn't seem to be any other fair solution than what was decided. That is assuming that Schumacher truly didn't do anything wrong.

George just can't seem to get a break :bike:

72gmc
08-24-2006, 02:39 PM
just eliminate the time bonuses for stage finish. keep the stage results.

does schumacher lose his win? yes, but all evidence indicates he would not have won were it not for fan interference.

i don't think it matters who is involved or what nationality they are. intentional/unintentional, doesn't matter. the penalty for not holding a line should be at least partially borne by the offending sprinter.

Kevan
08-24-2006, 02:40 PM
that is luck. George seems to be missing that portion.

J.Greene
08-24-2006, 02:57 PM

Right on!!!!!!!!!

JG

kestrel
08-24-2006, 03:01 PM
If Schumacher was bumped by the spectator and shoved into George, then the win is valid. If Schumacher moved right into George's path to avoid a spectator but made no contact with the spectator, then he should be relegated.

Serpico
08-24-2006, 03:36 PM
FYI

when this DUPLICATE thread was started, there was already a thread in progress with 35 posts that was over 24 hours old (and was current and being still being read/posted)

BumbleBeeDave
08-24-2006, 04:29 PM
. . . maybe because I don't spend every second of every day on the forum and did not ssee the earlier thread? :confused:

Anyway . . . I wonder if the rules make any mention of judge's discretion? Deems like it's just not right for a rider to lose a whole stage race because a fan interfered, no matter what nationalities are involved.

BBD

Serpico
08-24-2006, 04:38 PM
. . .

Anyway . . . I wonder if the rules make any mention of judge's discretion? Deems like it's just not right for a rider to lose a whole stage race because a fan interfered, no matter what nationalities are involved.

I dunno, maybe you should post on the ORIGINAL still ongoing thread--maybe someone has an answer there for you.

swoop
08-24-2006, 04:38 PM
FYI

when this DUPLICATE thread was started, there was already a thread in progress with 35 posts that was over 24 hours old (and was current and being still being read/posted)

yes, we are in peril. there can't be two threads about the same thing. danger. um, or can there be two threads, one a day older than the other? and can they both be about the same thing? *sticks pinky in mouth ala dr. evil.

i'm sure everything is gonna be just fine. or will it?

oracle
08-24-2006, 04:39 PM
is it true that the human body cannot adequately process the gluten in wheat? i'm just asking because i cough alot after i eat bread....

Serpico
08-24-2006, 04:39 PM
btw, if anyone is interested--in 2007 Bumblebee is hosting his own Serotta Open House a couple of blocks from the official Serotta Open House--and when you mention this he will still keep hosting it and apparently not consider that even if he didn't originally know, that when he does find out, it's then proper etiquette continue on at the ORIGINAL venue.

:rolleyes:

Serpico
08-24-2006, 04:41 PM

i'm sure everything is gonna be just fine. or will it?

we'll see, start some threads and I'll dupe them

swoop
08-24-2006, 04:42 PM
in a parallel universe/thread does george not make moronic mistakes during the scary part of bike races?
and
if george wins a race and no one is there to hear it does it make sound?

oracle
08-24-2006, 04:46 PM
in a parallel universe/thread does george not make moronic mistakes during the scary part of bike races?
and
if george wins a race and no one is there to hear it does it make sound?

and furthermore, can cosmetic surgery fix his legs???

swoop
08-24-2006, 04:51 PM
hey, the other thread is sexier and less filling. when i read it i look taller.

BumbleBeeDave
08-24-2006, 05:01 PM
. . . Have I done something in particular to provoke this wrath? This tidal wave of bile couldn't simply be about my accidentally starting a duplicate thread, could it? If it is, then I think you have issues that go way beyond simply keeping track of two different threads on the same subject . . .

BTW, I will have free BumbleBeeBrew at MY open house! Stop by and have a comb or two! :beer:

BBD

Sandy
08-24-2006, 05:16 PM
Does anyone here have video of the end of the race so that we could all see what actually occurred? I would certainly like to see it. Thanks.

Sandy

72gmc
08-24-2006, 05:41 PM
even if we did, sandy, which thread would we post it in? and if i post contradicting thoughts in each thread, will i disappear?

where's dr. emmett brown...

Jason E
08-24-2006, 05:54 PM
maybe he's sick of you

I am-

That is not nice or called for. It's also against the user agreement. How cowardly to not even have the balls to come on here with something useful and just bash someone.

BumbleBeeDave
08-24-2006, 06:22 PM
. . . willing to accept criticism if it's politely expressed. I'll be the first to admit I sometimes rub people the wrong way. But don't most of us at one time or another?

My starting a duplicate thread was purely unintentional. I had not seen the other thread. Just because I have the most posts doesn't mean I read EVERY friggin' thread on the Forum.

BBD

Grant McLean
08-24-2006, 07:24 PM
. . . willing to accept criticism if it's politely expressed. I'll be the first to admit I sometimes rub people the wrong way. But don't most of us at one time or another?

My starting a duplicate thread was purely unintentional. I had not seen the other thread. Just because I have the most posts doesn't mean I read EVERY friggin' thread on the Forum.

BBD

Dave,

How ironic is it that you're having to defend yourself against unintentionally posting,
in a thread about a guy unintentionally causing a crash!

Maybe you did it on purpose?
Or were you swerving to avoid another thread about guns?

:)

g

BumbleBeeDave
08-24-2006, 07:29 PM
. . . you seem to be right. Well, as long as I have everyone hating me anyway, perhaps I should go ahead and go into politics . . . :rolleyes:

BBD

obtuse
08-24-2006, 07:32 PM

BBD

yeah. what beeman said.

obtuse

Fixed
08-24-2006, 07:37 PM
bro like him or not he is one of the best american bike racers ever .
imho
cheers

Serpico
08-24-2006, 07:37 PM
now I feel like a dcik

background--I posted some story on a political forum that was a duplicate and when another person complained I wrote it off as them being overly sensitive. Fast forward a couple of months and someone unintentionally dupe'd a thread I put up--gggRRR!!!! it is frustrating, especially if the dupe is newer and getting more traction/comments/views than the original.

nothing personal with anyone, I was just tryin' to point them to cees thread cuz' I know it's frustrating. and I do think it's good etiquette to link the dupe to the original and direct people there--once you realize it's a dupe--but yeah, everyone makes dupe mistakes

man, *** is wrong with me today :crap: I usually just lurk and read when I'm trying to kill time at work--now I'm all over givin' opinions and siht

catulle
08-24-2006, 07:45 PM
Roy, Roy Munson...?

bcm119
08-24-2006, 07:46 PM
now I feel like a dcik.

Don't buzz off just cuz you got stung by the beeman. Unless you're allergic its not a big deal.

obtuse
08-24-2006, 07:47 PM
bro like him or not he is one of the best american bike racers ever .
imho
cheers

fixed-
allow me to liberally paraphrase in a humerous way your astute and correct comment:

bro like him or not he is one of the stupidest american bike racers ever.
imho cheers

bro like him or not he has the biggest chin on an american bike racer ever.
imho cheers

bro like him or not at least he the gumption to marry the podium girl after he knocked her up which is quite ethical for an american bike racer ever. imho cheers

bro like him or not he is one of the most handsome american bike racers ever.
imho cheers

bro like him or not he shares his initials with his favorite illicit substance which is the funniest thing about an american bike racer ever.
imho cheers

obtuse

obtuse
08-24-2006, 07:48 PM
Roy, Roy Munson...?

there are no more roy e. munson.

obtuse

BumbleBeeDave
08-24-2006, 07:59 PM
fixed-
allow me to liberally paraphrase in a humerous way your astute and correct comment:

imho cheers

imho cheers

bro like him or not at least he the gumption to marry the podium girl after he knocked her up which is quite ethical for an american bike racer ever. imho cheers

imho cheers

bro like him or not he shares his initials with his favorite illicit substance which is the funniest thing about an american bike racer ever.
imho cheers

obtuse

He was talking about GEORGE?!? I thought he was talking about ME! :crap:

BBD

Serpico
08-24-2006, 07:59 PM
*** is with the kinder, gentler obtuse?

BumbleBeeDave
08-24-2006, 08:01 PM
now I feel like a dcik

Don't we all at times? No offense taken . . . :)

BBD

Grant McLean
08-24-2006, 08:04 PM
now I feel like a dcik...
man, *** is wrong with me today :crap: I usually just lurk and read when I'm trying to kill time at work--now I'm all over givin' opinions and siht

Good recovery. I can respect you for just calling it like it is, no shame in that.
I wish more people could just say d'oh! "what was i thinking"... we can move
on, no harm, no foul. More damage is done trying to weasle out of something
that just isn't that big a deal.

Good for you. ( it says somthing about our society, that i feel like it needs
to be said!)

g

obtuse
08-24-2006, 08:12 PM
He was talking about GEORGE?!? I thought he was talking about ME! :crap:

BBD

bro like him or not he is one of the best american flat tire getters ever .
imho
cheers

bro like him or not he is one of the best american photographers ever .
imho
cheers

bro like him or not he is one of the best dressed american ever .
imho
cheers

bro like him or not he is one of the best american serotta forum posters ever .
imho
cheers

BumbleBeeDave
08-24-2006, 08:16 PM
. . . Our beloved JERK has been assimilated by the Warm & Fuzzy Pod People From Outer Space!

BBD

JohnS
08-24-2006, 08:17 PM
bro like him or not he is one of the best american serotta forum posters ever .
imho
cheers
There's damning with faint praise if I ever heard it! :p

obtuse
08-24-2006, 08:19 PM
Don't we all at times? No offense taken . . . :)

BBD

not me. i am a dcik.

obtuse

obtuse
08-24-2006, 08:19 PM
There's damning with faint praise if I ever heard it! :p

yeah john; well you're up there too pal. :p :p

catulle
08-24-2006, 08:20 PM
Er, humerus is the long bone of the upper arm. Humorous: Characterized by humor. Humerous: :confused:

:beer:

obtuse
08-24-2006, 08:22 PM
Er, humerus is the long bone of the upper arm. Humorous: Characterized by humor. Humerous: :confused:

:beer:

now the forehgnors is teachin mes how to spelll? ive gotten a misters in englich and i'm writing my crongressman that i want our damn canal back too.

obtuce

Archibald
08-24-2006, 08:23 PM
fixed-

imho cheers

imho cheers

imho cheers

imho cheers

obtuse
I'm starting to sense a pattern here....

catulle
08-24-2006, 08:24 PM
now the forehgnors is teachin mes how to spelll? ive gotten a misters in englich and i'm writing my crongressman that i want our damn canal back too.

obtuce

:eek:

obtuse
08-24-2006, 08:27 PM
I'm starting to sense a pattern here....

yeah, then finish the pattern. you know like an iq test.

obtuse

JohnS
08-24-2006, 08:28 PM
yeah john; well you're up there too pal. :p :p
Naw, I dropped down to the second page. I'm pretending that I have a life. :crap:

obtuse
08-24-2006, 08:28 PM
:beer: :eek:

Wayne77
08-24-2006, 09:14 PM
+100000000

Most surreal thread of the month, IMHO BRO

Archibald
08-24-2006, 11:15 PM
yeah, then finish the pattern. you know like an iq test.

obtuse
Are you sure you really want me to? :beer:

learlove
08-25-2006, 04:52 AM
I just watched the sprint on cycling.tv. GH got screwed. From the helo overhead shot they are all on the left hand side of the road and there maybe is something in SHu's way but not enough to cause him to swerve about 8 to 10 feet to the right and clip GH's front wheel with his rear wheel.

It is obvious the Shu didn't try to take GH out but there is no reason for that amount of swerve with all the space he had - they were not really crowded at the front - from the looks GH was accelerating in the middle and would have won the bunch sprint.

72gmc
08-25-2006, 11:04 AM
to continue tenderizing this expired horse... i'm not sure how i feel about this report on cyclingnews:

"Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf reports that George Hincapie's trophy that he received for finishing second in the Eneco Tour has ended up in a bar in Zwolle, The Netherlands. Bar owner Theo Dragt got the trophy from Willem Boverhof, a Zwolse journalist who happened to be parked near the Discovery Channel team in Ans after the final stage.

After what happened in the final sprint, where Hincapie saw his chances of victory disappear after a spectator pushed Stefan Schumacher into the American's front wheel, one of Discovery's soigneurs was thinking of throwing the trophy out of the bus on the way home. Boverhof 'rescued' it from an ignominious fate, and it is now ensconced in a bar in Zwolle."

Wayne77
08-25-2006, 11:19 AM
to continue tenderizing this expired horse... i'm not sure how i feel about this report on cyclingnews:

"Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf reports that George Hincapie's trophy that he received for finishing second in the Eneco Tour has ended up in a bar in Zwolle, The Netherlands. Bar owner Theo Dragt got the trophy from Willem Boverhof, a Zwolse journalist who happened to be parked near the Discovery Channel team in Ans after the final stage.

After what happened in the final sprint, where Hincapie saw his chances of victory disappear after a spectator pushed Stefan Schumacher into the American's front wheel, one of Discovery's soigneurs was thinking of throwing the trophy out of the bus on the way home. Boverhof 'rescued' it from an ignominious fate, and it is now ensconced in a bar in Zwolle."

I'd probably toss the trophy as well. No sport is very fun to watch without the 'tude.

72gmc
08-25-2006, 11:55 AM
i think that's where i'm netting out, too. i can't blame him for not wanting the second place trophy. i'm conflicted about the professionalism of it, though. showing disrespect to a tour and its sponsor in this fashion is not so smart, even if you were robbed (and i still think he was).

Keith A
08-25-2006, 01:03 PM
I just watched the sprint on cycling.tv.I tried to find this on cycling.tv, but was unable to locate the video. Does anyone know how to find this on their website?

mosca
08-25-2006, 01:21 PM
I tried to find this on cycling.tv, but was unable to locate the video. Does anyone know how to find this on their website?

+1.

In this photo from Velonews, it appears that Schumacher is at least 10 feet from the barrier when he takes out GH. If he was bumped by a spectator, he is really far off his original line.

Keith A
08-25-2006, 02:12 PM
Thanks for the posting the picture. As you stated, from this point of view, Schumacher is a long ways from the side barriers and it does appear that he may have done more that just avoid the spectator.