PDA

View Full Version : Lake Ozark Missouri Info

msl819
05-31-2017, 10:34 PM
The family and I will be in central Missouri at Lake Ozark next week and was wondering if any forumites had any insight into the riding? Is it worth taking a bike? Road or MTB? Any info on the area, good rides, places to avoid would be appreciated.

Louis
05-31-2017, 10:42 PM
I've never been down there, but will check with a few local cyclists to see if they have. (I've mostly heard stories about the infamous "Party Cove")

ahumblecycler
06-01-2017, 05:01 AM
I grew up in the area, and my brother is raising his family just slightly north in "Eldon".

Depending on where on the lake you will be will depend on my response. Road cycling may be possible on the west side (Sunrise Beach, etc.) due to the many side roads leading to housing along the lake. If are on the east (Lake Ozark, Osage Beach), I would not even think about road cycling. The exception is if you are staying on HH, which my friend cycles using the pathway that runs parallel to the road (quite wide and nice - that area has the taxes to pay for it). However, not is lost as you can the east offers up Mark Twain State Park and some great MTN riding - I rode it 20 years ago and suspect the trails are even better. The park is to access (along HWY 42).

I'll try to keep track of this thread and provide more information as needed.

godfrey1112000
06-01-2017, 05:07 AM
http://www.funlake.com/cycling

At the lake of the ozarks in any direction rolling hills

Weekend traffic 😱⚰️

msl819
06-01-2017, 10:16 AM
We will be in the Osage Beach area. I am not opposed to driving some to get to an area that is good riding but being that this is family time I do want and need to limit the amount of time that I am out on a solo ride.

Louis
06-01-2017, 03:00 PM
A response from my buddy John:

There is a TON of gravel riding, but there's also decent mountain biking.

Lake of the Ozarks State Park, has 12 something miles of trail. Good riding, I've been there a few times.

I have a good friend who has a place down there and he does gravel/road rides right out his door. Lots of up and down hills, so bring your big boy pants.

Sparshall
06-01-2017, 03:37 PM
The family and I will be in central Missouri at Lake Ozark next week and was wondering if any forumites had any insight into the riding? Is it worth taking a bike? Road or MTB? Any info on the area, good rides, places to avoid would be appreciated.

I'm 1.5hrs north in Columbia. I'd stay off the roads, especially on the weekends. I know a few guys that have ridden some good gravel down there. Good luck and have fun!