PDA

View Full Version : Light issue for evening commuting

DRZRM
08-24-2006, 09:48 AM
One more question. I commute to work most days on a Bianchi Pista, and I have a Cateye Power Opticube HL-EL500 on the bar (which runs off several AA or AAA batteries) for when I get caught in the dark. It's OK, the route is generally not too dark, but I often think about more wattage, something like a Planet Bike 10W headlight. The problem is that the Pista fixed gear frame has no braze-ons for a water bottle cage, thus no place to stash the battery. Is there some way of attaching a battery to a frame without a cage that you can recommend? Perhaps a bag/pouch that velcros under the stem, or in the frame that you're familier with, I've not seen such a thing.

Thanks a lot!

Zach

:beer:

spiderlake
08-24-2006, 09:56 AM
My Light and Motion system has an external mounting kit for the battery. It's really just a velcro strap and a piece of plastic to hug the frame but it works well. They went this route because water bottle space, especially on MTB's, is becoming hard to come by. I am attaching a picture of the battery mount. Hope this helps!

Erik.Lazdins
08-24-2006, 10:00 AM
The watter-bottle battery is typically a Ni-Cad unit and not as widely available as they once were. Battery technology has trickled down to bike lights where Nickel Metal Hydride and Lithium Ion batteries are available. The NMH are typically smaller than Nicad and many manufacturers offer under top tube velcro mounts. The Li-Ion cells are the smallest but then cost the most.

Good luck with the search for light!

Birddog
08-24-2006, 10:01 AM
Several of the light options available use SLA batteries. Most of these are in a bag that suspends from the top tube with straps. You could also mount some of those add on water bottle mounts, but the battery might be a little heavy for that. Performance has a Cygolight dual system on sale but I can't vouch for it. Some people just put the bottle battery in their jersey pocket.

Birddog

Erik.Lazdins
08-24-2006, 10:02 AM
My Light and Motion system has an external mounting kit for the battery. It's really just a velcro strap and a piece of plastic to hug the frame but it works well. They went this route because water bottle space, especially on MTB's, is becoming hard to come by. I am attaching a picture of the battery mount. Hope this helps!

I've got the NMH version of that battery and that mount works great.

A slight thread drift - the ARC light is fantastic!

znfdl
08-24-2006, 10:10 AM
+1 for Light and Motion.

There are clamp on a wter bottle cages.

72gmc
08-24-2006, 12:16 PM
Performance has a Cygolight dual system on sale but I can't vouch for it.

eh. i can't vouch for it either and i owned that cygolite system. i liked everything about it except its tendency to not work when it was dark, raining, or both. i may have just had a dud, but faults in the switch and the wiring left me with only my backup light more than once before i returned it.

i'm looking at planet bike and niterider. light + motion seems a little spendy.

H1449-6
08-24-2006, 12:19 PM
Fairly comprehensive (though somewhat dated) discussion here:

http://bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=142723

CNY rider
08-24-2006, 12:28 PM
I bought a bike light from Performance last year that I like. It's 10 watts and the rechargeable batteries are contained in a plastic body that mounts right to the handlebars underneath the light. It was a co-branded product (Vista perhaps?) and I'm at work right now without the light so I can't tell you the brand or model. In any event it's worked well for me and never left me out in the dark.

72gmc
08-24-2006, 12:29 PM
good idea, H1449-6

mtbr.com also has a lot of reviews on lights, and a comparison test of their relative strength--also dated but still helpful depending on what lights are being considered.

Tom
08-24-2006, 01:02 PM
Depending on how much you look at spending, think about the delta to one of these people's HID lights.

You'll never find yourself peering into the dark trying to see stuff with one of them. You can use them to jack deer, too.

spiderlake
08-24-2006, 01:18 PM
I bought my arc for mountain biking since it starts getting dark here around 5PM in the fall. The amount of light it puts out is amazing. The first time I used it for bike commuting cars were brighting me. Oops, I adjusted the light to shine in a more downward direction.

If I was buying a light now for road commuting, I'd check out the new Vega from L+M. It is a rechargeable LED with a self-contained battery. It's inexpensive compared to the HID (Arc) and might be just the ticket for your evening commute.

http://www.bikelights.com/Products/vega.htm

justinf
08-24-2006, 01:20 PM
Another HID option: http://lumelighting.com/main.asp Very cool lights; I have a Strada. No web update in a while, I've noticed.

spiderlake
08-24-2006, 01:34 PM
How do you like the light? Is burn time consistent to what they list on the site? That is one cool looking light!

Another HID option: http://lumelighting.com/main.asp Very cool lights; I have a Strada. No web update in a while, I've noticed.

znfdl
08-24-2006, 01:40 PM
Depending on how much you look at spending, think about the delta to one of these people's HID lights.

You'll never find yourself peering into the dark trying to see stuff with one of them. You can use them to jack deer, too.

Tom speaks the truth. I used to commute with a 12w halogen light and I would run out of light when going 25mph. I have no such issues with the L&M ARC HID.

Ken Robb
08-24-2006, 01:46 PM
Schmidt Dynohub w/Lumo-tec light solves the problem at higher cost-less worry. Peter Jon White has lots of info/prices.

DRZRM
08-24-2006, 01:57 PM
Yeah, I've got it down to the Light & Motion Vega (with internal battery), the Light & Motion Solo (external battery w/ wires, but brighter), and the Planet Bike Alias (external battery but a whopping 15 watts, even brighter). Anyone with experience with these specific lights? I want to buy today, as Nashbar has a 15% off coupon that expires today (enter #8392 in discount window, if you need anything).

EdK
08-24-2006, 04:26 PM
Expensive, yes

http://www.lupine.de/en/home/index.html

erty65
08-24-2006, 05:16 PM
Fantastic lighting! (http://lupine.de/en/products/products.html)

KevinK
08-24-2006, 05:30 PM
I have the Solo MV and I really like it. It took the place of a Nite Rider Trail rat system. The battery is long lasting and it tells you when it is running low. The smart charger doesn't let you over charge, yet it will be fully recharged in 3 hours. As idiot-proof as a top-end lighting system can be.

Kevin

Yeah, I've got it down to the Light & Motion Vega (with internal battery), the Light & Motion Solo (external battery w/ wires, but brighter), and the Planet Bike Alias (external battery but a whopping 15 watts, even brighter). Anyone with experience with these specific lights? I want to buy today, as Nashbar has a 15% off coupon that expires today (enter #8392 in discount window, if you need anything).

Ray
08-24-2006, 05:39 PM
If you just want something stronger than the opticube, I've heard really good things about the L&M Vega and it's self contained so finding a place for the battery is a non-issue. It's still a commuting light and a 'be seen' light more than something that's going to thoroughly light up the road like a HID light, but it also costs a fraction of an HID system. Depends on what you want. For high speed road riding or insane off-roading, there's nothing like a powerful light. But they're overkill and more hassle than they're worth for what it sounds like you're looking for.

-Ray

Ozz
08-24-2006, 05:58 PM
It might be overkill for what you are looking for, but I found it really opens up opportunities for more riding - it is very cool riding at 3:00 in the morning...seriously. No one is out there but you, animals the stars.

Great light, well made, good burn time, quick charge, etc, etc....

I've read about these:http://www.use1.com/exposure/

Sound good, but expensive (I think)....

Tom
08-24-2006, 06:42 PM
The locals put on a century four or five times a year and one time this summer they did it by lights one night. I have to get a second battery. That sounds way too cool.