PDA

View Full Version : Brooks B-17 installation

DRZRM
08-24-2006, 09:35 AM
OK, thanks to the folks on this forum, I just got my first Brooks saddle--thanks Jason (actually two, a B-17 and a loaner Pro to try out for comparison, but I’m going to start with the B-17), and I’m going to try it out on my fixie commuter.

I know that the B-17 gets installed “nose up” to get the hammock effect, but I’m not really sure how “nose up” to start, I’m used to riding flat saddles. Any advice on first installation, and where to go from there?

Thanks

Zach

:beer:

dave thompson
08-24-2006, 09:48 AM
The rear of the saddle, the portion you actually sit on, should be more or less level. Depending on how much bar drop you have you may have to alter the level a little. If the bars are around the same height as the saddle, the rear at level will work very nicely.

I would also suggest turning the tension bolt counter-clockwise (when viewing from the front) until it stops. This will help in the break-in.

dbrk
08-24-2006, 09:49 AM
Think of the two rear points where your sit bones touch as _level_. Or, look at the rear of the saddle for the level bit and the nose will come up slightly. Works every time.

dbrk

p.s. Dave and I were typing the same answer at the same time...and he's got creds!

shoe
08-24-2006, 09:50 AM
just kikk er up a bit and see how she goes. if i take my hands off and it's sending me over the bars i bring it back just a bit - too far back and it is crushing some bits when over the bars more that i don't want crushed i bring it forward a tad. it is finding that sweet spot is all. good luck...dave