PDA

View Full Version : Gravel Tires - Specialized or Pacela?

thisistecumseh
05-31-2017, 04:03 PM
Need new shoes for the Black Mountain and have narrowed it to the Pacela Gravelking or Specialized Roubaix Pro - both in 32.

Same price point, similar tread. Any insights to sway me one way or the other?

Thanks

ptourkin
05-31-2017, 04:18 PM
Need new shoes for the Black Mountain and have narrowed it to the Pacela Gravelking or Specialized Roubaix Pro - both in 32.

Same price point, similar tread. Any insights to sway me one way or the other?

Thanks

Had those Roubaix on my CX bike as a fast commuter. They are super fast with a nice ride but do not last long. Have not tried the Gravelkings.

jtbadge
05-31-2017, 04:24 PM
The Gravel Kings seem like a great mid point between a super supple tire like the Open Pave and a commuter like the Pasela. Really nice ride quality with decent durability.

I have been running the 26s on my road bikes and really want to try some of the fatter versions.

SlowPokePete
05-31-2017, 07:00 PM
I've got a few hundred miles on gravel king 32's and am pretty happy so far, price was right at $29/ea from Excel so I ordered 3 more.

Yeah, 3.

SPP

weisan
05-31-2017, 07:22 PM
Again, kinda like the Compass tires and life in general, there's no free lunch. The Roubaix is supple and fast, wear out maybe a bit faster but I have only used it a couple of times for bike packing trips so don't really notice it. I bought it during summer sale, buy one get one free, paid $40 net. Will buy again in a heart beat if sale happens again.

sjbraun
05-31-2017, 07:45 PM
Like the Gravel Kings, but 32s run narrow, only 30mm actual on Pacenti rims.

sg8357
05-31-2017, 08:05 PM
Compass 38mm on my Black Mountain.

I've ridden the 32mm Compass for years, hi-speed marshmallows.
Gravel Kings would be the 2nd choice, 1st if you have flat issues.

ERK55
05-31-2017, 09:05 PM
Like the Gravel Kings, but 32s run narrow, only 30mm actual on Pacenti rims.

It must be me then. Recently tried to mount 32mm Gravelkings on HED + rims.
After 1 hour (and 2 trashed tubes) I finally snapped the bead on (with the grunting of an Olympic weightlifter) only to find (and after trying every trick in the book).... the tube was punctured again.

Tried the second wheel but gave up after 15 minutes of struggling--my hands were just too sore.

Tires will be going up for auction.
It must be me.

ColonelJLloyd
05-31-2017, 09:14 PM
It must be me.

What procedure and tools are you (not) using?

hobbanero
05-31-2017, 09:32 PM
Roubaix is not much tread for any serious gravel/dirt...have you looked at the Trigger (my favorite in 33) or Schwalbe G-One?

bismo37
05-31-2017, 11:02 PM
It must be me then. Recently tried to mount 32mm Gravelkings on HED + rims.
After 1 hour (and 2 trashed tubes) I finally snapped the bead on (with the grunting of an Olympic weightlifter) only to find (and after trying every trick in the book).... the tube was punctured again.

Tried the second wheel but gave up after 15 minutes of struggling--my hands were just too sore.

Tires will be going up for auction.
It must be me.

That's interesting. I mounted 32mm Gravel Kings on a pair of HED rims with only a little difficulty (needed a tire lever to finish the job). Not anywhere as difficult as Challenge tires.

ERK55
06-01-2017, 12:36 AM
What procedure and tools are you (not) using?

See previous threads on this subject.

(ie initial bead in central channel of rim, tires in dryer, soapy water, multiple tire levers, bead mounting gizmo, etc etc etc).

And, previous practice mounting Challenge Almanzo and Strada Bianca Tires, which was no fun.

Pastashop
06-01-2017, 05:43 AM
Again, kinda like the Compass tires and life in general, there's no free lunch. The Roubaix is supple and fast, wear out maybe a bit faster but I have only used it a couple of times for bike packing trips so don't really notice it. I bought it during summer sale, buy one get one free, paid $40 net. Will buy again in a heart beat if sale happens again.

Well, before pneumatic tires came along, things were bad. The pneumatic tire WAS a free lunch relative to the solid rubber.
Then again, before the bicycle, people had to WALK!.. or ride horses, which had to be fed... So, even a bicycle with solid rubber tires was very much a free lunch.
You people just don't realize how good you have it. Sheesh!!

AngryScientist
06-01-2017, 06:53 AM
its hard to make a recommendation on tires without knowing what the bike will be primarily used for and over what surfaces.

the term "gravel bike" is in style now, but that can really mean a whole bunch of different things to different people.

kevinvc
06-01-2017, 09:55 AM
I'm also trying to decide on a tire for my Salsa Fargo. I want something that can handle dirt and gravel, but also the miles of pavement it takes to get there. As with anything bike related, there are a lot of opinions on what constitutes the "best" tire for this kind of riding. The gravelkings get a lot of love and I plan on getting some 32s when I see a good sale. Of course, by then I'll probably have convinced myself to try something else instead and be kicking myself for passing on the Kenda Flintridge, which is on sale at BikeTiresDirect.com today.

572cv
06-01-2017, 11:33 AM
I'm finding the gravelking 32's to be nicely versatile for paved and unpaved roads around here.