PDA

View Full Version : Small quantity substitute for Bondo?

Lewis Moon
05-31-2017, 11:04 AM
I've stripped the Benotto and am in the process of prepping it for a repaint. I've located a couple of small dimples (probably bike rack rash) that I want to fill in prior to painting. Bondo usually comes in humongous tubs and I'll be using less than a thimble full...are there any reasonable, cheap/available substitutes I can use?

Dirtdiggler
05-31-2017, 11:09 AM
JB Weld ?

Bentley
05-31-2017, 11:15 AM
JB Weld ?

I would not suggest JB weld, way to hard to feather in. I would suggest running by an Auto Body shop and ask them to sell you a bit

Ray

brewsmith
05-31-2017, 11:24 AM
If they are really small, you may be able to take it to a shop to roll them out with a frame block

Kobe
05-31-2017, 11:29 AM
No as economical as the can but if it is all you need. Autozone has small tubes.

http://www.autozone.com/paint-and-body/body-filler/3m-bondo-glazing-and-spot-putty/167010_0_0/

ColonelJLloyd
05-31-2017, 12:34 PM
I get the resistance to waste, but a 28oz tub of Bondo is $12.98 at my Lowe's. I had to buy some recently. Otherwise, that AutoZone link looks like the ticket.

oliver1850
05-31-2017, 12:43 PM
If they are really small you can use automotive spot putty. The traditional stuff is lacquer and used on top of lacquer primer. There are other types that can be used with enamel.

I've used JB weld with good results. Once it's good and hard you can file it down pretty close, then sand.

ColonelJLloyd
05-31-2017, 12:50 PM
I've used JB weld with good results. Once it's good and hard you can file it down pretty close, then sand.

I'm not sure I'm good enough to blend that JB Weld without sanding too deep into the tube. Presumably we're talking about a wall thickness of .4-.8mm. :eek:

ultraman6970
05-31-2017, 12:50 PM
3m sells a acrilic putty, you can find it at car paint supplies stores, is really good and not expensive but the problem is that probably you need so little that dont worth your time to buy that thing. Since is plastic it wont crack and will move with the metal.. bondo tents to crack... sucks.

oliver1850
05-31-2017, 01:03 PM
I'm not sure I'm good enough to blend that JB Weld without sanding too deep into the tube. Presumably we're talking about a wall thickness of .4-.8mm. :eek:

Pretty hard to remove enough metal to affect wall thickness with hand sanding. You would have to work pretty hard at it. If applied over a couple of good coats of primer, you should be able the feather it in without ever touching the metal.

05-31-2017, 03:52 PM
The Bondo glazing and spot putty sands down extremely smooth and evenly and is compatible with all frame paints (except powdercoat). I've tried a lot of things and it works the best and the easiest as well. Amazon sells it at the best price I've found.

Do note that if you plan to powdercoat, all rules change. Most powdercoat shops will have some powdercoat-compatible fillers (basically, heat resistant) that they will give you a small sample of.

The Bondo putty is also the best stuff around to touch up nicks and nail holes on woodworking around the home. Much better than any putties available from Home Depot. The stuff is astounding around the house for interior work. So you can definitely find a use for the rest of the tube.