PDA

View Full Version : san diego for a few days this week

Tickdoc
05-31-2017, 07:31 AM
I've got a short trip planned for the week to San Diego this week (thur-sun)and I was thinking of bringing some shoes and a kit to ride in my off time. I see several bike rentals near where I am staying (near the airport).

Never actually rented a road bike before....any tips? suggestions?

Jeff N.
05-31-2017, 08:17 AM
I've got a short trip planned for the week to San Diego this week (thur-sun)and I was thinking of bringing some shoes and a kit to ride in my off time. I see several bike rentals near where I am staying (near the airport).

There's a zillion places that rent beach cruisers, but road bikes? Good question! Give MOMENT Bicycles a call. They're in Liberty Station, just up the road from the airport (as an extra, Stone Brewery is right next door...probably the best brewery in the country). They speak high-end and might be able to help you (619-523-2453).
I'd be surprised if they didn't do rentals. Good luck! Enjoy America's Finest City! (Weather: "June Gloom" right now, with marine layer burning off around noon, daily)

Tickdoc
05-31-2017, 08:23 AM
There's a zillion places that rent beach cruisers, but road bikes? Good question! Give MOMENT Bicycles a call. They're in Liberty Station, just up the road from the airport (as an extra, Stone Brewery is right next door...probably the best brewery in the country). They speak high-end and might be able to help you (619-523-2453).
I'd be surprised if they didn't do rentals. Good luck! Enjoy America's Finest City! (Weather: "June Gloom" right now, with marine layer burning off around noon, daily)

Thanks! I checked them out and they do rent!

That settles it, I'm packing my stuff for some rides.

I'll give them a call in a bit when the left coast wakes up.

thanks again

ptourkin
05-31-2017, 09:03 AM
Moment are good people. Stone, not even the best brewery tasting room in Pt. Loma. Get to Modern Times if you're interested in that. Dinosaur World, Centaur Gardens and Clear and Present Dankness are three of the best beers I've had in the last few years.

Tickdoc
05-31-2017, 09:16 AM
Moment are good people. Stone, not even the best brewery tasting room in Pt. Loma. Get to Modern Times if you're interested in that. Dinosaur World, Centaur Gardens and Clear and Present Dankness are three of the best beers I've had in the last few years.

rent a bike and just ride it from brewery to brewery....sounds fun. Anyone want to join in this week?

Jeff N.
05-31-2017, 09:42 AM
Moment are good people. Stone, not even the best brewery tasting room in Pt. Loma. Get to Modern Times if you're interested in that. Dinosaur World, Centaur Gardens and Clear and Present Dankness are three of the best beers I've had in the last few years.Strongly disagree. MT has a long way to go before they can approach Stone, Mike Hess, Alesmith or Ballast Point. But that's just...like...my opinion, man. :D

ptourkin
05-31-2017, 10:48 AM
rent a bike and just ride it from brewery to brewery....sounds fun. Anyone want to join in this week?

I'm in a recovery week with little two hour rides after a 600k but might be able to make something Saturday out in that area. Anyone else?

Pizza Port in OB also has good stuff. For beer paradise, get up on the mesa a little and do Hamilton's, Tiger Tiger, Toronado and Blind Lady Ale House - all have been ranked in the top 10 beer bars in the US. None pour Stone AFAIK (couldn't resist Jeff) Modern Times started putting out stouts and other non-hoppy niche beers but now their limited release IPAs are the most highly sought after in a hop crazy town. They are also doing some great saisons and sours. Stone and Ballast Point (Constellation Brands btw) are mass produced big beer now. They're good but available in Costco nationwide.

If you ride out of Pt. Loma from Moment, the tidepools climb in Cabrillo Nat. Monument is fun and should still be all decked out from Memorial Day.

fourflys
05-31-2017, 11:20 AM
re: Stone... not sure what the new location in PT Loma is like (left SD in 2012 :( ), but the main Stone up in Escondido had one of the best bistros I've ever been to... :D :banana:

Also, if you like tacos/burritos/bacon-wrapped hot dogs, it's hard to beat Lucha Libre taco shop not far away....

https://www.tacosmackdown.com

Jeff N.
05-31-2017, 01:21 PM
I'm in a recovery week with little two hour rides after a 600k but might be able to make something Saturday out in that area. Anyone else?

Pizza Port in OB also has good stuff. For beer paradise, get up on the mesa a little and do Hamilton's, Tiger Tiger, Toronado and Blind Lady Ale House - all have been ranked in the top 10 beer bars in the US. None pour Stone AFAIK (couldn't resist Jeff) Modern Times started putting out stouts and other non-hoppy niche beers but now their limited release IPAs are the most highly sought after in a hop crazy town. They are also doing some great saisons and sours. Stone and Ballast Point (Constellation Brands btw) are mass produced big beer now. They're good but available in Costco nationwide.

If you ride out of Pt. Loma from Moment, the tidepools climb in Cabrillo Nat. Monument is fun and should still be all decked out from Memorial Day.
Well, sure, Blind Lady, Hoffers in La Mesa, etc., they're not likely to pour Stone. They're going to pour some of the more esoteric brands to give those a chance at obtaining the same overwhelming success of Stone, the brew by which almost all other brands are judged. Many come close...REAL close...but...not...quite...close...enough, IMO. That said, I'm quite partial to Latitude 33's Blood Orange IPA these days. Hey, IT'S ALL GOOD!

Jeff N.
05-31-2017, 01:22 PM
re: Stone... not sure what the new location in PT Loma is like (left SD in 2012 :( ), but the main Stone up in Escondido had one of the best bistros I've ever been to... :D :banana:

Also, if you like tacos/burritos/bacon-wrapped hot dogs, it's hard to beat Lucha Libre taco shop not far away....

https://www.tacosmackdown.comAgreed. You'd surely like the Liberty Station location as well.

Ken Robb
05-31-2017, 01:52 PM

Your shoes may be useless if you don't also bring pedals. :-)

Tickdoc
05-31-2017, 02:06 PM
Bike rented! Looks like it will be a new Roubaix with disc brakes and their shock absorbing stuff.

I need to bring my own pedals, which shouldn't be much of a problem since I'm checking a bag.

AngryScientist
05-31-2017, 02:13 PM
Bike rented! Looks like it will be a new Roubaix with disc brakes and their shock absorbing stuff.

I need to bring my own pedals, which shouldn't be much of a problem since I'm checking a bag.

bring a pedal wrench too, it'll almost certainly save you time if you can swap the pedals yourself and not need the shop mechanic to do it for you.

Tickdoc
05-31-2017, 02:17 PM
bring a pedal wrench too, it'll almost certainly save you time if you can swap the pedals yourself and not need the shop mechanic to do it for you.

thanks

Jeff N.
05-31-2017, 03:35 PM

I need to bring my own pedals, which shouldn't be much of a problem since I'm checking a bag.:beer:

Lanternrouge
05-31-2017, 04:42 PM
Something I would recommend is to remember arm and knee warmers since it can feel colder here than the temperature indicates, though that might be an effect of living here for a while.

Tickdoc
05-31-2017, 04:56 PM
Something I would recommend is to remember arm and knee warmers since it can feel colder here than the temperature indicates, though that might be an effect of living here for a while.

Good to know and will pack. I was going to bring a light vest too just in case. Weather looks to be California perfect for the rest of the week, but I'll take your word for it and thanks.

PacNW2Ford
05-31-2017, 11:17 PM

Not making fun, but yes, once I was walking to the Solana Beach train station and marveling at the nice bikes on 101. It was 65*, sunny and almost all the riders were wearing tights and jackets. I'm at the station wearing a polo shirt and shorts and this father and son come up. The dad is wearing a North Face PARKA. Maybe it's the ocean effect...

ptourkin
06-01-2017, 08:21 AM
Well, sure, Blind Lady, Hoffers in La Mesa, etc., they're not likely to pour Stone. They're going to pour some of the more esoteric brands to give those a chance at obtaining the same overwhelming success of Stone, the brew by which almost all other brands are judged. Many come close...REAL close...but...not...quite...close...enough, IMO. That said, I'm quite partial to Latitude 33's Blood Orange IPA these days. Hey, IT'S ALL GOOD!

Their social media is okay though: https://twitter.com/StoneBrewingCo/status/869797412189069312?utm_source=Voice+of+San+Diego+M aster+List&utm_campaign=4d7b4bc296-Morning_Report&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_c2357fd0a3-4d7b4bc296-84093397&goal=0_c2357fd0a3-4d7b4bc296-84093397

fourflys
06-01-2017, 11:14 AM
Not making fun, but yes, once I was walking to the Solana Beach train station and marveling at the nice bikes on 101. It was 65*, sunny and almost all the riders were wearing tights and jackets. I'm at the station wearing a polo shirt and shorts and this father and son come up. The dad is wearing a North Face PARKA. Maybe it's the ocean effect...

it's all about getting acclimated... when I went from San Diego to Kodiak, AK, I was the guy in a parka in the middle of summer while the locals were wearing shorts and washing cars! ;)

Tickdoc
06-01-2017, 11:31 AM
Packed a little extrawarmth just in case. Purposely brought no bottles so I can get some souvenir ones from the trip.

Also hoping to score some new riding shoes while I'm there.

Been scouting maps and it looks like hugging the coast is going to be my best bet.

Palomar climb looks like fun but I won't have time for that.

Cabrillo monument looks like fun but not sure if it will be open for me to go all the way to.

Pm if any of you want to meet up for some evening riding or early morning, and thanks for all the tips.

Looks like I'll be in conference 8-5 ( if I attend all meetings:)

Ken Robb
06-01-2017, 12:57 PM
The ride to Cabrillo Monument is great whether you go all the way inside or not. If you have a National Parks Pass you get in free. Just before you get to the entrance to the monument you ridee through Ft. Rosecrans National Cemetery and the views there are almost as expansive as those in the monument.

California Bicycles in La Jolla has a good selection of shoes as well as bikes and gear.

Drmojo
06-01-2017, 05:03 PM
Go down the hill to the "other" lighthouse
Magic

fourflys
06-01-2017, 05:09 PM
The ride to Cabrillo Monument is great whether you go all the way inside or not. If you have a National Parks Pass you get in free. Just before you get to the entrance to the monument you ridee through Ft. Rosecrans National Cemetery and the views there are almost as expansive as those in the monument.

California Bicycles in La Jolla has a good selection of shoes as well as bikes and gear.

+1 on both of these... Cabrillo was my go lunch ride when I was stationed downtown... great ride up and down! And Cal Bike is great, Jason (and his dad) is such a good dude!

Lanternrouge
06-01-2017, 06:43 PM

Being tough is for people who don't have other options. At least that's what I tell myself since I recall having ridden both in the teens and during light snow when I lived elsewhere.

Tickdoc
06-01-2017, 10:17 PM
Made it!

Plane was delayed out of Dallas and barely made it to the shop in time.

The view from the hotel is much better than the view of the bike imo, but it should work fine for a few days.

https://i.imgur.com/tYszlYrl.jpg

Ken Robb
06-01-2017, 11:46 PM
Made it!

The view from the hotel is much better than the view of the bike imo, but it should work fine for a few days.

https://i.imgur.com/tYszlYrl.jpg
Sheraton?

Jeff N.
06-02-2017, 08:09 AM
Made it!

https://i.imgur.com/tYszlYrl.jpgSheraton? BTW, you MUST go have a drink/meal at the COASTERRA restaurant at the south end of Harbor Island. Million-Dollar view...food ain't bad either. (Try the shrimp tacos!)

Tickdoc
06-02-2017, 08:58 AM
Yes, Sheraton. Enjoying a million dollar breakfast now before I head out to meetings......then I can ride!

Might join the shop ride Sunday morning before I head out... fun little route over to Coronado island.

Jeff N.
06-02-2017, 09:22 AM
Yes, Sheraton. Enjoying a million dollar breakfast now before I head out to meetings......then I can ride!

Might join the shop ride Sunday morning before I head out... fun little route over to Coronado island.The SOUTH BAY LOOP, as it is known, is a cool ride...pretty much flat stuff, maybe some head wind going up the Strand, with a cool little boat ride on the Bay, heading back. You'll love it. Then it's over to Stone for a Delicious IPA!

Tickdoc
06-02-2017, 09:29 AM
The SOUTH BAY LOOP, as it is known, is a cool ride...pretty much flat stuff, maybe some head wind going up the Strand, with a cool little boat ride on the Bay, heading back. You'll love it. Then it's over to Stone for a Delicious IPA!

Already sampled some stone IPA last night at the hotel bar.....a decent brew for sure.

Jeff N.
06-02-2017, 09:31 AM
Already sampled some stone IPA last night at the hotel bar.....a decent brew for sure.You need to try their "DELICIOUS", "RUINATION" and "ENJOY BY" IPA's. So much flavor. But do your ride first. :D

BlueFly
06-02-2017, 01:03 PM
Try this one while you are there -

http://belchinbeaver.com/?page_id=192

Not into IPA's. I continue to try them but have been a longtime STOUT fan. Beavers Milk is a fine brew! :beer:

ptourkin
06-02-2017, 01:11 PM
The SOUTH BAY LOOP, as it is known, is a cool ride...pretty much flat stuff, maybe some head wind going up the Strand, with a cool little boat ride on the Bay, heading back. You'll love it. Then it's over to Stone for a Delicious IPA!

It's about 40 miles as a flat out and back. Not sure why people would take the ferry. The Strand bike path is a MUP and not conducive to spirited riding on the weekend. We take the road heading out from IB and tend to chill coming back.

Also, in my continuing debate with Jeff over our favorite local export, please sample what we consider our better local beers while you're here. You can get some Ruination or Delicious at Costco when you get home. If you dawdle on Coronado, you can try Coronado Brewing Company. If you stay in the flat area downtown, go to Monkey Paw and let the bartender point you in a good direction. The Stone Bistro at Liberty Station is an antiseptic tourist zone not visited by the local beeristas. Stone and Karl Strauss were innovators here but that was over 15 years ago.

Jeff N.
06-02-2017, 01:50 PM
"not visited by the local beeristas." Again, strongly disagree.

ptourkin
06-02-2017, 02:02 PM
Again, strongly disagree.

This is fact. I defy you to find an industry person or a serious geek in there. Put it this way, would you visit Above Category to look at the Treks?

Also, as a Holland guy, I'd expect you to be a fan of the non-Green Flash versions of Alpine Beer Company. Pat and Val ride Exogrids.

Jeff N.
06-02-2017, 02:20 PM
This is fact. I defy you to find an industry person or a serious geek in there. Put it this way, would you visit Above Category to look at the Treks?

Also, as a Holland guy, I'd expect you to be a fan of the non-Green Flash versions of Alpine Beer Company. Pat and Val ride Exogrids.I'm not going to go around asking Stone customers if they're "industry people"...I will say that I am a fan of most ALL SD brewed nectars. I find Stone brews to be among the best I've ever tasted from the get-go, still do and, after drinking mass quantities of most of the rest, I always find myself going back to Stone. That some are available at Costco, or the fact that they just opened a brewery in Berlin, Germany, matters not one bit to me. Yep, I'm a Holland guy...and a Serotta, Firefly, Moots, Seven, Passoni, Lynskey, Merlin, Parlee guy as well. I like 'em all but have a certain preference for one over another. But that changes from time to time. I'm a card-carrying Hop-head and, for me, Stone does it best. BTW, I sold the Exogrid.

Tickdoc
06-02-2017, 08:02 PM
Skipped out for a ride finally and made it to cabrillo monument.

Sunny at the hotel, and then the June gloom hit before I made it out of the parking lot.

https://i.imgur.com/1KHXb3Xl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/R4yvsTGl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/n7fDKaMl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/wRLJNJxm.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/8DPMxf4l.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/scUA1Ihl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/7sLUcpql.jpg

Ship yard.....err model shipmyard

https://i.imgur.com/ACrduSSl.jpg

Can't say I'll be buying a roubaix anytime soon. Decent enough bike, but I don't think I. End a shock absorbing stem. I'd rather feel the bike. And I miss my campy. My thumb doesn't know what to do with itself!

last but not least, I stopped in town at a barbershop and got a much needed haircut: (hadn't had a warm straight razor neck shave in years)

https://i.imgur.com/fhrcY0Cl.jpg

Jeff N.
06-02-2017, 09:00 PM
Terrific!

donevwil
06-02-2017, 11:14 PM
...I will say that I am a fan of most ALL SD brewed nectars. I find Stone brews to be among the best I've ever tasted from the get-go, still do and, after drinking mass quantities of most of the rest, I always find myself going back to Stone. ... Stone does it best.

I'm going to back you up. Coming from the Lagunitas (Heineken), Russian River, etc., etc, etc, part of CA with all our wonderful beers, I'm am going to agree with you. Stone has pulled off a level of quality, versatility, quantity, recognition and ambiance (at the brewery) that none I've visited have. Add Karl Strauss and a slew of others to the (greater) S.D. (area) quiver and you realize it's beer heaven (Seattle a very close 2nd).

W.R.T cycling ..... Jamul.

Tickdoc
06-03-2017, 09:46 PM
Beer report:

So far I've sampled

Stone IPA....solid

Modern times Oneida pale ale....really good

Refuge blood orange wit.....refreshing

Alpine brewing duet IPA.... maybe my favorite thus far, and sounds like a fun one to go find , brewery wise.

ptourkin
06-04-2017, 10:59 AM
Beer report:

So far I've sampled

Stone IPA....solid

Modern times Oneida pale ale....really good

Alpine brewing duet IPA.... maybe my favorite thus far, and sounds like a fun one to go find , brewery wise.

Good stuff. Duet is actually made by Green Flash now but unlike the beloved Nelson, it actually upscaled well. The real treats are the beers still made in Alpine by Pat - only available at the Alpine locations. If you ever get a chance to take a ride in the mountains, visit and ask the beertender what the options are. The Alpine bottles in stores are made by Green Flash but the Windows Up and Duet are solid beers.

ColnagoFan
06-04-2017, 05:25 PM
Beer report:

Wow this sounds like my JAM...I'll have to check it out!

Tickdoc
06-05-2017, 01:07 PM
Man it feels good to be home.

Kinda bummed my computer didn't save my groupride data.

Did the shopride Sunday morning before I left town. 40 miles from the shop out to Coronado island. I had to ferry back to make checkout from the hotel in time.

Moment cycles was great. Decent bike, nice people. Met the shop owner and he was very kind.

First time I've joined another group and it was fine. Bit of an odd mix of riders, but all were super. My favorite was the guy who lives in his van, shows up with a nice pinarello. Next favorite was the guy on a cinelli fixie and jeans that finished like a boss.
California:beer:
The ride back downtown was nuts because they had a marathon Sunday and there were runners everywhere.

Flat ride with a Slow slow slow rollout until we got to south marina? Then it was hammer time all the way into Coronado. I could do without the trail portion, but so fun to experience some new roads and scenery.

https://i.imgur.com/uGhw50cl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/yZuaq30l.jpg

Pineapple Express
https://i.imgur.com/6DmAsMFl.jpg

Smallest penis in the bay
https://i.imgur.com/pIzionll.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/0DzM2RXl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/lBJkXtyl.jpg