PDA

View Full Version : When oldpotatoe is not around...

paredown
05-31-2017, 06:21 AM
I found this nice summary of the ins and outs of Campy compatibility--mosdef taking the company line on things, but a help for those of us who are no longer remembering stuff as well as we used to...

http://www.velotech-cycling.ltd.uk/campagnolo_faq.shtml

lookout2015
05-31-2017, 07:15 AM
This part surprised me:
Q: What is the proper Campagnolo Warranty Procedure for parts bought abroad?

A: The Campagnolo warranty allows that a part that may be subject to a Warranty claim can be examined for warranty and repaired / replaced in the country where the owner is resident - so an item bought mail order by, say, an Australian customer from a UK retailer can be dealt with under warranty in Australia.

I've never needed to file a warranty for Campagnolo, but had always assumed the gear I've ordered from the UK would not be covered if I ever needed. But looks like that's not the case? In which case Merlin / Ribble / etc are even better deals than I realized...

jemoryl
05-31-2017, 08:39 AM
I bought some Centaur ergolevers from Ribble a couple years ago and the rear started dumping gears with just one touch of the thumb button (apparently a common problem with late Centaur). Since the levers were well within the warranty period, I was pissed, because this is not the sort of durability I expect from Campy. Ribble suggested trying a local Campy dealer before sending them back to the UK. Armed with the a document from Campy stating that products purchased in other countries would be warrantied anywhere with proper documentation, and a Ribble receipt, I went to my only local Campy shop.

The guy sent them out and the RHS shifter was rebuilt. Felt bad that he had to do extra work to make up for Campy's lack of quality in that part, but if that is how they want to do things..... BTW, the shop in question never has any Campy stuff in stock and the prices are always full list - sorry, I would need to ride Shimano if buying local. And Campy USA never returned my calls.....

oldpotatoe
05-31-2017, 09:42 AM
This part surprised me:
Q: What is the proper Campagnolo Warranty Procedure for parts bought abroad?

A: The Campagnolo warranty allows that a part that may be subject to a Warranty claim can be examined for warranty and repaired / replaced in the country where the owner is resident - so an item bought mail order by, say, an Australian customer from a UK retailer can be dealt with under warranty in Australia.

I've never needed to file a warranty for Campagnolo, but had always assumed the gear I've ordered from the UK would not be covered if I ever needed. But looks like that's not the case? In which case Merlin / Ribble / etc are even better deals than I realized...

The part has a little tracking code thing on it. When they get something back, even QBP and hawley here in the US, they check to see it's 'path'..if from an 'unauthorized' distribution channel..no warranty..if the little tag is missing, no warranty. Generally speaking.

I really don't get the 'Campagnolo, USA never returned my calls', part. I talk to Jerry and Dan all the time. I have never had any problem getting through..Don't call during lunch..

Ronsonic
05-31-2017, 10:43 PM
I love this name for the things, " gear cable end tidies." :banana:

smontanaro
06-01-2017, 07:08 AM
I'm sorry, but I saw the subject and immediately thought, "... the zucchini will play." The mind works in mysterious ways. [emoji2]

jemoryl
06-01-2017, 09:22 AM
The part has a little tracking code thing on it. When they get something back, even QBP and hawley here in the US, they check to see it's 'path'..if from an 'unauthorized' distribution channel..no warranty..if the little tag is missing, no warranty. Generally speaking.

I really don't get the 'Campagnolo, USA never returned my calls', part. I talk to Jerry and Dan all the time. I have never had any problem getting through..Don't call during lunch..

Maybe they recognize your number on the caller ID? Seriously, I could not get through, but there might have been a trade show on at the time. Still, somewhat unprofessional not to have a suitable message.