PDA

View Full Version : Omega 3 Fish Oils

Larry
08-24-2006, 08:37 AM
Hey Folks,

Is there any sort of guideline or formula for the amount of Omega 3 fish oils that you should take on a daily basis? It seems to me that there is a specific amount that the experts prescribe.
Thanks

Larry......please send rain and cool air to Dallas.

Kirk Pacenti
08-24-2006, 09:05 AM
You should be getting 2,000mg (2 grams) per day. You MUST supplement to get this amount. I take Iceland Health, pharmaceutical grade. (No heavy metals)

Fat Robert
08-24-2006, 09:16 AM
(No heavy metals)

so you don't dig Sabbath?

get my last e-mail?

Skrawny
08-24-2006, 10:26 AM
You guys all know the admonition that "dietary suppliments" don't legally have to have any of the stuff in them that they say is in them (no FDA oversight). That being said there are some vendors who are trying to retrieve some faith and guarantee the content of the product.

One product "Omacor" (http://www.omacorrx.com/About_OMACOR/Benefits_of_OMACOR.html?kwcid=110&s_kwcid=omacor|447306500) is a perscription only omega three formulation that certainly has the stuff in it that they say is there, but it is very expensive.

Whereever you do buy fish oil caplets, stick them in the freezer.
That takes away some of the fishey smell/taste that some of them have, and if they are not still pliable, then they don't really have a significant ammount of omega three in it (because omega three oils don't freeze).

-s

GoJavs
08-24-2006, 11:30 AM
I take flax seed oil caplets a couple of times a week. I try to stick to national brands and hope they are policing themselves properly... :)

Kirk Pacenti
08-24-2006, 11:45 AM
so you don't dig Sabbath?

get my last e-mail?

nah, Steely Dan......

Must have missed the email, try again.

Needs Help
08-24-2006, 03:16 PM
I take Iceland Health, pharmaceutical grade. (No heavy metals)
You can't be sure they don't have heavy metals. And, I would think it's probable that they do based on the rampant dishonesty plaguing the supplement market. It would be nice if Consumer Reports would do a test on fish oil caplets. Have they?