PDA

View Full Version : Help me parce something from my cycling data

notsew
05-30-2017, 08:50 PM
So I recently participated in this study at the local university because I thought it would be fun to see the data (and there was very little time commitment). It was for kinesiology grad students trying to determine how back shape affects recovery. It was an interesting experience being all hooked up to the stuff, but I really have no idea what to take away from it. The students probably would have gone through it with me at the end of the second one, but I was running late for something else and didn't stick around.

Anywho, any paceliners who know about this type of thing give me a read on this stuff? Is this good? Bad? Should I give up recreational cycling and take up knitting?;)

In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter, but it would be fun to know if I'm actually in decent shape from the data's perspective. I don't even know what I want to know from this, I'm just looking at greek and its a little unfulfilling.

There were two tests, a week apart, each with a 5 minute warm up - wingate test - 4 min recovery - wingate test - 4 minute recovery.

Spreadsheet is here (https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7IXci2Sl79lak1iRTIwSnBQNzg4aXJNcjFyNk56b 1h2MVBJ)

Thanks!:beer:

jmoore
05-30-2017, 08:57 PM
What is a Wingate test?

600+ watts is nutso power, so I'm curious how they calculated that number.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

notsew
05-30-2017, 09:06 PM
Yeah I don't know much about the whole thing. I certainly wouldn't suspect myself of having nutso power.

From Wikipedia:
Before the subject starts the Wingate test, they typically perform a low-resistance warm-up for at least five minutes to help minimize the risk of injury. During the warm-up the subject generally completes two or three 15 second “sprints” to make sure they are used to the fast movement before the test begins. On completing the warm-up the subject should rest for one minute, after which the test begins. The subject gets a five second countdown to the beginning of the test, during which time they pedal as fast as they can. On the start of the test, the workload drops instantly (within three seconds if using a mechanical ergometer) and the subject continues to pedal quickly for 30 seconds.

An ergometer with an electromagnetic brake generally collects and displays data through a computer.

belopsky
05-30-2017, 09:11 PM
What do you want to know exactly? It's not exactly clear because according to their metrics, you performed better with a flat back than with a rounded one on some things, and worse on others..but the question really is - Are any of these measurements correlated with anything?

General thought is that you want flexion for better inhalation/exhalation and recruitment of the diaphragm (if you know how to breathe, that is..), which also enables you to recover better.

Take a look at how Michael Jordan would often rest:
http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/241/323/240433_display_image.jpg?1275205108

notsew
05-30-2017, 09:14 PM
As ****ty as it sounds I guess I want to know if these numbers are good for a 35 year old guy who likes to ride bikes. I was googling to see if I could find some of this stuff (like the tidal volume) on a bell curve, like the weight and head size of my toddler. I don't know what to do with it without some comparison. I mean I'm not going to be doing the test all the time to see if I'm improving.

I'm pretty skeptical of their process, way to many other variables involved, but hey, not my thesis. I also am probably oversimplifying/misrepresenting it.

Joachim
05-31-2017, 01:49 PM
Sorry to disappoint you, but a Wingate test does not tell you much in terms of overall road cycling or mtb potential/fitness etc. The Wingate is used by sprinters or to determine your sprinting ability (good for track sprinters like Sir Chris Hoy). If you want better insight in your cycling ability, then a VO2 max test will tell you what you genetic potential is (for the most part) and then a lactate threshold power test will tell you how much power you put out at lactate threshold (or more accurately, the steady stage of lactate aka MSSL). You can then use that value, divide that by your weight in kg and get your p/w ratio at MSSL. That value is a biggest predictor of road and mountain biking cycling success (on flats is your power at MSSL and for climbs its your p/w@ MSSL). Some of my riders that are very average sprinters but ride a decent time trial hit around 900w+ on the wingate. That being said, recreational cycling is not about competing so its all about whether you enjoy cycling or not. Its not about your numbers.

notsew
05-31-2017, 02:32 PM
Thanks, Joachim, that's helpful.

That being said, recreational cycling is not about competing so its all about whether you enjoy cycling or not. Its not about your numbers.

I don't really care about the numbers, I don't ride with power or even a heartrate monitor (at least since it had a mishap with the washing machine last year). I do race cyclocross and ride pretty hard, but for the most part I just ride to enjoy it and so I can drink beer and not get fat. I was just curious if there was anything to glean from the tests. Sounds like not, no big, it was an interesting experience.

Thanks!

:beer:

nate2351
05-31-2017, 02:45 PM
637 for a wingate is pretty good depending on your weight. For reference I'm 145lb and my best was hitting 741 for 30 sec power. At that level I easily made the podium in cat 3 road races but had trouble finishing higher than midpack p1/2 races.

There is a lot more to it that your numbers though. Tactics almost always wins, especially in the higher categories.