PDA

View Full Version : ebay wheel woes - just venting!

AngryScientist
05-30-2017, 07:31 PM
bought what should have been a nice set of wheels from ebay.

DT swiss 240 28/32 laced to DT 1.1 rims.

surprise #1 - they came tied and soldered! OK - that's cool and i didnt pick it up from the pics posted. a novelty, sounds good!

surprise #2 - threw the rear on the wheel stand, totally out of true! grumble.

surprise #3 - the wheels have brass nips, except somebody decided to get cute and add red nips on either side of the valve stem and 180 degrees from that, so a total of four red alloy nipples.

surprise #4 - the spokes needed to tension to true the wheel are - yup, you guessed it, the ones with the alloy nips.

surprise #5 - the two spokes that critically need to increase tension - seized!

ordinarily, this would be not such a big deal, just cut the spoke, and replace it, but since these are tied and soldered, the offending spokes are mated to their neighbor,.

fortunately i was able to eventually free them with some force, consequently splitting the alloy nipples. replaced them with brass, followed by a few mins on the truing stand - and fixed. wheels now true as an arrow.

obviously, this was a "problem" wheelset for someone and was sold on ebay. fortunately, i know my way around a wheel stand, but for the average ebayer looking for a deal on wheels, this would have been a time consuming nightmare.

just venting! carry on!

Mzilliox
05-30-2017, 07:51 PM
i got some problem wheels, ill send me your way:beer:

ColonelJLloyd
05-30-2017, 08:44 PM
Accent nipples are the worst.

Peter P.
05-30-2017, 08:53 PM
Caveat Emptor.

I too, have not paid attention to the photos on eBay and craigslist ads, and it's come back to bite me.

Jeff N.
05-30-2017, 09:01 PM

surprise #1 - they came tied and soldered! OK - that's cool and i didnt pick it up from the pics posted. a novelty, sounds good!

surprise #3 - the wheels have brass nips, except somebody decided to get cute and add red nips on either side of the valve stem and 180 degrees from that, so a total of four red alloy nipples.

surprise #4 - the spokes needed to tension to true the wheel are - yup, you guessed it, the ones with the alloy nips.

ordinarily, this would be not such a big deal, just cut the spoke, and replace it, but since these are tied and soldered, the offending spokes are mated to their neighbor,.

fortunately i was able to eventually free them with some force, consequently splitting the alloy nipples. replaced them with brass, followed by a few mins on the truing stand - and fixed. wheels now true as an arrow.

obviously, this was a "problem" wheelset for someone and was sold on ebay. fortunately, i know my way around a wheel stand, but for the average ebayer looking for a deal on wheels, this would have been a time consuming nightmare.

just venting! carry on!-Did you get a good deal on them?

AngryScientist
05-30-2017, 09:04 PM
-Did you get a good deal on them?

yes!

it's not a big deal for me really, and i fixed what was wrong in under an hour, as mentioned - just venting!

Clean39T
05-30-2017, 09:05 PM
Shouldn't you be covered by eBay and/or PayPal buyer protection here? Anyone ever dealt w that process?

AngryScientist
05-30-2017, 09:08 PM
Shouldn't you be covered by eBay and/or PayPal buyer protection here? Anyone ever dealt w that process?

as mentioned, it cost me nothing other than an 8 cent brass nipple and some time to fix the problem...

i accept that if i buy a used set of wheels, they may need some attention.

Clean39T
05-30-2017, 09:14 PM
as mentioned, it cost me nothing other than an 8 cent brass nipple and some time to fix the problem...

i accept that if i buy a used set of wheels, they may need some attention.

I was extending a bit to more general situations... just wondering if those fees we pay are worth anything.

R3awak3n
05-30-2017, 09:17 PM
Accent nipples are the worst.

this.

and also off course the damn alloy nipples were the seized ones. The seller should have mentioned all of that, in the end, he got lucky because someone without a truing stand would probably send em back

nesteel
05-30-2017, 09:17 PM
The only way I'll consider buying wheels long distance is if they're so cheap I can just figure on re-lacing them.

Bentley
05-30-2017, 09:19 PM

I just had my own recent issue with an EBay purchase. First, this is not to make Angry out as in the wrong, quite the contrary, but as noted he missed a few things in the photos and probably did not ask questions. Soldered spokes are not a defect, so no problem to be resolved in Buyer protection. Mixed brass and alloy nipples, again not a problem. Seized spokes, well it happens too. Nothing glaringly wrong, just a few things that complicate the deal.

Getting "buyer protection" generally means something is not as described, its defective or damaged. Not the hardest thing to prove, but not sure it applies here.

I've had a few deals on EBay go south, most of the time, like this, I kicked myself for not asking more questions.

Sounds like it all worked out, DT Swiss makes some great hubs.

Ray

R3awak3n
05-30-2017, 09:23 PM
I just had my own recent issue with an EBay purchase. First, this is not to make Angry out as in the wrong, quite the contrary, but as noted he missed a few things in the photos and probably did not ask questions. Soldered spokes are not a defect, so no problem to be resolved in Buyer protection. Mixed brass and alloy nipples, again not a problem. Seized spokes, well it happens too. Nothing glaringly wrong, just a few things that complicate the deal.

Getting "buyer protection" generally means something is not as described, its defective or damaged. Not the hardest thing to prove, but not sure it applies here.

I've had a few deals on EBay go south, most of the time, like this, I kicked myself for not asking more questions.

Ray

when a wheel is out of true and the spokes are seized, you have a case. If the guy said, wheels are in great condition and you receive them and they are out of true, not great but workable, however when its not just as simple as true them then that is a bigger problem. You paid x amount for the wheels and now you have to take them to the shop and spend $30 for them to true em (or more in the case of seized nipples), that is not as advertised.

AngryScientist
05-30-2017, 09:24 PM

Ray

i agree with this.

i got a great deal on the wheels, and even if they were totally shot, it would have been worth it to replace bearings and rebuild the wheels.

the only way i would consider ebay protection is if the buyer explicitly stated that the wheels were perfectly true in the original ad, and they were wayyyy out, and not easily fixable.

i'm comfortable with any wheel work up to and including full rebuild, so not a big deal, the hubs are the expensive part.

wheels are perfect now.

AngryScientist
05-30-2017, 09:25 PM
when a wheel is out of true and the spokes are seized, you have a case. If the guy said, wheels are in great condition and you receive them and they are out of true, not great but workable, however when its not just as simple as true them then that is a bigger problem. You paid x amount for the wheels and now you have to take them to the shop and spend $30 for them to true em (or more in the case of seized nipples), that is not as advertised.

this is also a good point!

chiasticon
05-30-2017, 10:15 PM
i got some problem wheels, ill send me your way:beer:same. :crap:

Gummee
05-30-2017, 10:34 PM
Why the hate for accent nipples? I put a pair of 'off-colored' nipples next to the valve stem on pretty much every wheel I build.

...course I'll build DS brass almost exclusively. I'll do AL on the front and NDS if someone wants it.

IME AL nipples are great for a few/couple of years, then the problems start. Kinda like Ti spokes

M

brewsmith
05-30-2017, 10:35 PM
I have to say, ebay has come a long way in terms of buyer protecrtion. Back in the late 90's it was 'buyer beware', but since they have become such a huge magnate, their focus is 100% buyer focused. For those of us with the wrenching skills it's no big deal, but if you feel put out in any way, the ebay team will make it right. There is a bit of upcharge, but sometimes it's worth it.

ColonelJLloyd
05-30-2017, 10:37 PM
Why the hate for accent nipples? I put a pair of 'off-colored' nipples next to the valve stem on pretty much every wheel I build. M

It takes all kinds. You do you. :beer:

Pegoready
05-31-2017, 08:50 AM
I commend you for being a good sport and handling it with grace.

Some buyers would have shook the seller down for a few bucks, but you didn't!

I once sold a set of used tubulars on eBay. The buyer claimed "not as described" because they had glue residue under the used tires! Hello, they're used tubulars!:confused:

It takes all types. I accepted that return and paid return shipping, under eBay "buyer protection." I really hate selling wheels because I believe they are the most complex single part you can sell and there are so many shades of grey in describing them. Does a used wheel in "good condition" need to be true within 1 mm? 2 mm? How far in variance can the spoke tension be? What if the freehub is slightly marred? So many questions.

Bentley
05-31-2017, 09:16 AM
I commend you for being a good sport and handling it with grace.

Some buyers would have shook the seller down for a few bucks, but you didn't!

I once sold a set of used tubulars on eBay. The buyer claimed "not as described" because they had glue residue under the used tires! Hello, they're used tubulars!:confused:

It takes all types. I accepted that return and paid return shipping, under eBay "buyer protection." I really hate selling wheels because I believe they are the most complex single part you can sell and there are so many shades of grey in describing them. Does a used wheel in "good condition" need to be true within 1 mm? 2 mm? How far in variance can the spoke tension be? What if the freehub is slightly marred? So many questions.

I agree with what you have said here. I think that a general disclaimer that the hardware is used, with expected wear, scratches, glue residue typical of use is a good disclaimer. I think the problem tends to arise more when there is almost no description of the item, poor pictures and when the buyer fails to communicate with the seller. That said, I sold a used coffee pot (very high end Moca Master) with a insulated carafe. I described the item as used but working. Well to my surprise the buyer's wife complained that the carafe was "stained" I just accepted the return to settle the claim, but there are folks that want to buy used and get "new".

I have bought enough wheels to know that they are going to need truing as a minimum, but generally I buy them for the hubs, if its a quality hub and the wheel does not appear abused then I accept the minor repairs into the "deal"

Best

Ray

firemanj92
05-31-2017, 09:52 AM

just venting! carry on!

It's a hassle to have to deal with, then having take your time and fixing it-and I'm a "tinkerer" and don't mind doing my repairs but it's the principle!

Glad it worked out!