PDA

View Full Version : Best Work Stand for Aero/Carbon Frames

GParkes
05-29-2017, 08:38 PM
In need of a new work stand. I work on my TT bike, some friends TT rigs, and carbon bikes. With aero seatposts and masts, having some difficulty with stability on older Park stand. Caveat, sometimes building frames up from scratch, so anything with a fork mount will be only partially functional. Any suggestions??

sales guy
05-29-2017, 08:56 PM
In need of a new work stand. I work on my TT bike, some friends TT rigs, and carbon bikes. With aero seatposts and masts, having some difficulty with stability on older Park stand. Caveat, sometimes building frames up from scratch, so anything with a fork mount will be only partially functional. Any suggestions??

I use a PRS-2 which is the big shop stand and use the super wide adjustable clamp. It will do two different mounting ways and fits aero tubed seatposts well. And the clamp is pretty well padded but I always add more.

FlashUNC
05-29-2017, 08:58 PM
Feedback Pro stand has a mount head that deals with aero seatposts rather well.

eddief
05-29-2017, 09:19 PM
http://www.treefortbikes.com/product/333222384561/286/Giant-ISP-Seatpost-Clamp.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&scid=scplp333222384561&sc_intid=333222384561&gclid=CjwKEAjwja_JBRD8idHpxaz0t3wSJAB4rXW5KPJZPhX_ f_P_Gfr7RelVVv3jW4G-OgEylG2qDYcSzRoCwCnw_wcB

i wonder how it works.

regularguy412
05-29-2017, 09:35 PM
No carbon here. Also no aero tubing, either. But I'm using this one and like it a LOT! It's a Feedback Sprint workstand.

Mike in AR:beer:

https://www.westernbikeworks.com/productimages/images650/ffspr2-1.jpg

dem
05-29-2017, 09:45 PM
I admit (slightly embarrassingly) I splurged on the Hirobel (https://hirobel.com/).. it is ridiculously over priced but does what it says. If it was $99, they'd sell tons more.

I have a Sprint stand too, but still too inconvenient for me, the Hirobel is more conducive to throwing the bike onto it for minor stuff.

CSKeller
05-29-2017, 10:49 PM
Another vote for the Feedback Sports Sprint Stand. Love mine!!

I also have their Classic workstand (actually it is an Ultimate before it was bought out by Feedback) with the clamp mentioned above. I use both but prefer the Sprint Stand for my carbon bikes. Makes cleaning and adjusting very easy.

GParkes
05-30-2017, 05:29 AM
Thank you gents. Was looking at Feedback, but the most recent work session with two aero frames got me thinking of more,

Eddief - that's an interesting adaptor for clamps. I wonder....but need a new stand anyway, so..

rockdude
05-30-2017, 07:14 AM
Feedback is the way to go.

wasfast
05-30-2017, 07:18 AM
Park PRS-25 is another choice if you don't want to remove the front wheel all the time.

bikinchris
05-30-2017, 07:30 AM
I admit (slightly embarrassingly) I splurged on the Hirobel (https://hirobel.com/).. it is ridiculously over priced but does what it says. If it was $99, they'd sell tons more.

I have a Sprint stand too, but still too inconvenient for me, the Hirobel is more conducive to throwing the bike onto it for minor stuff.

The Hirobel costs a whole lot less than cracking a frame would.
I like mine and it works perfectly with the pro stand from Feedback.

douglas
05-30-2017, 07:34 AM
I have the Park PRS 20 and it works well.

Blown Reek
05-30-2017, 07:43 AM
The Hirobel costs a whole lot less than cracking a frame would.

If you crack your frame in a stand, then you deserve to have a cracked frame.

cmbicycles
05-30-2017, 08:17 AM
I like the Park 100-3D clamp, it is the newer style with an quick release handle/lever. It fits most aero seatposts securely and works well in my stand, except the lever bolt occasionally loosens up so you just have to watch it. The feedback clamp squeezes on the sides of the seat post and isn't deep enough for some aero seatposts imo, but it works well for the majority. Obviously, with any clamp, you shouldn't be clamping it with herculean strength on lightweight parts.

The hirobel adapter mentioned above is a nice idea and if you dont mind the price its a well thought out tool. If I needed something like it at home I would probably just put the bike on my hitch rack for a similar effect. If I was still in a bike shop I think it would be good tool for customers to see you using, it shows professional care for their bikes, and is useful at the same time.

The sprint style stands fairly secure, and they are also adaptable for recumbents and trikes. That you have to take the wheels off to work on them, and can't rotate the frame is really the only downsides to the sprint style stands... also the numerous thru-axle "standards" make so you juggle adapters unless it's your only bike.

sales guy
05-30-2017, 08:31 AM
I like the Hirobel clamp. And given they are local to me it's great to see them doing well. But I don't like that it's kind of bulky and does get in the way at times. At least that's what i've encountered.

I end up going back to my Park clamp.

bikinchris
05-30-2017, 09:16 AM
If you crack your frame in a stand, then you deserve to have a cracked frame.

The OP is asking about building up bikes with no forks.

Most pro mechanics don't put their bike on a sprinter style stand. Shop mechanics almost never do so. There is no secure way to hold an aero bike on conventional stands. Think 5 inch thick seatpost and not a single round tube.

Many people resort to perching the nose of the saddle on the repair stand.

Brandon (of Hirobel) tells a story about walking up to the factory Shimano mechanics at a race support area working on bikes just as a bike was falling off a workstand. He hands the mechanic a Hirobel bracket and they bought 4 on the spot.

chiasticon
05-30-2017, 09:28 AM
The OP is asking about building up bikes with no forks.

Most pro mechanics don't put their bike on a sprinter style stand. Shop mechanics almost never do so.pro team wrenches definitely use sprinter-style stands. those beam style stands are highly preferred by them, mainly because it's a hell of a lot easier to clean a bike and they spend a ton of time doing that.

you can absolutely use a beam style stand without a fork, too. you just clamp the rear dropouts in instead. I've done this when replacing headsets, for example.

I'll agree with you though that shop mechanics seldom use those style of stands. they're definitely less convenient for people with a high throughput of bikes that all differ in size and shape.

Gummee
05-30-2017, 09:30 AM
The 100-3 clamp is great for most aero posts. I need to buy one...

I have the Feedback stand and don't like it for anything other than round posts 'cause (as others have pointed out) it clamps on the sides of the post, not front-to-back.

HTH

M

sales guy
05-30-2017, 09:47 AM
This is what I use for aero frames.

It is super adjustable and pivots to whichever way you want.
It weighs a ton and costs just as much but it works well and hasn't harmed anything yet. And I can run top tube cables and whatnot easy.

Blown Reek
05-30-2017, 10:33 AM
There is no secure way to hold an aero bike on conventional stands. Think 5 inch thick seatpost and not a single round tube.

Many people resort to perching the nose of the saddle on the repair stand.

The jaws on a Park PRS-3.2 open up wide enough to hold TIME Translink frames, integrated Cipollini frames and many others. Any work, except for installing threaded bottom brackets, can be done if you're worth your salt as a mechanic.

But if you're not, then you deserve a cracked frame. Know the your limits.

However, if you have both stands, do as you wish.

shovelhd
05-30-2017, 10:46 AM
I have the Park PRS 20 and it works well.

Same here, it's fine, but I wish I kept my older Park stand for quick work when clamping on the seatpost is ok.

GParkes
05-30-2017, 05:36 PM

Just had a minute to look at the Hirobel. Very trick tool. Gotta weigh cost/benefit.... But thank you, something to seriously consider.