PDA

View Full Version : de-stinkifying shoes?

AngryScientist
05-28-2017, 08:34 PM
my very favorite pair of road shoes are about 4 years old now and have been great up until i did a 5 hour rain ride last week. they got soaked totally through, completely saturated.

ugh, now they really stink.

this has not classically been a problem for me, but the rain ride really did it.

what can i do to sanitize these things?

jmoore
05-28-2017, 08:36 PM
Baking soda

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

mktng
05-28-2017, 08:44 PM
https://www.amazon.ca/Ultraviolet-UV-Shoe-Sanitizers-Deodorizer/dp/B00AH54DPQ

let me know how it works ;)

MagicHour
05-28-2017, 09:02 PM
if they already stink: remove and wash insoles, wash shoes in a light mixture of oxyclean and spray insides with Lysol should help defunkify.

To prevent future stinkage: stuff them with newsprint to help dry out after particularly wet or sweaty rides

Bentley
05-28-2017, 09:08 PM
I use cider vinegar. Spray the cider vinegar in the shoes and let them dry in the sun. That's while you are washing the insoles in soapy water with cider vinegar. Rinse the insoles well and let them dry in the sun.

MattTuck
05-28-2017, 09:16 PM
Some have said that putting funky shoes in the freezer can help. I have tried this with lack luster results.

AngryScientist
05-28-2017, 09:18 PM
they've already been soaked through multiple times - what if i just throw them in the washing machine on the "hand wash" cycle - bad idea?

BlueFly
05-28-2017, 09:19 PM
My wife found soaking her sandals in Listerine for 30 minutes did the trick. I have not tried this solution but apparently mouthwash has many disinfecting properties other than freshening breath! YMMV. :beer:

kppolich
05-28-2017, 09:26 PM
Big fan of dryer sheets in ALL of my shoes in the closet including bike shoes

jmoore
05-28-2017, 09:33 PM
they've already been soaked through multiple times - what if i just throw them in the washing machine on the "hand wash" cycle - bad idea?
It prob won't hurt them. They have already been soaked multiple times. Throwing some Borax in the wash will help.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Peter P.
05-28-2017, 10:06 PM

Bad idea-laundry detergents have been known to cause the adhesives in shoes to fail; adhesives that hold the sole onto the upper, etc. .

batman1425
05-28-2017, 10:36 PM
I've sent running shoes though the wash before without issue. That said - I'd be concerned about the shoes banging around and dinging the drum of your washer. If you go that route definately put a bunch of towels in there with them.

I second the oxiclean suggestion. Make a dilute solution of oxiclean and soak for a while, then let them dry in the sun. Do a couple test spots to make sure it won't ruin the color. Oxiclean works by generating hydrogen peroxide when it is dissolved in water. H202 is does really good job killing microbes (it is actually more effective than bleach when in the proper formulation) which is a primary source of stink - and the reactive properties of peroxide helps decompose the foul smelling aromatic molecule they generate.

jemoryl
05-28-2017, 10:37 PM
Pick up a bottle of Mirazyme - works quite well on hiking shoes.

https://www.gearaid.com/search?q=mirazyme

bart998
05-28-2017, 11:12 PM
I wear heavy boots all day at work and got athletes foot a couple times a year. Started putting this in my boots every night years ago and haven't had a problem since.. now use it in all my shoes. Lotrimin Powder.... shoes and feet always smell fresh.

http://www.target.com/p/lotrimin-antifungal-powder-3-oz/-/A-14791450?sid=1423S&ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&CPNG=PLA_Health+Beauty+Shopping_Local&adgroup=SC_Health+Beauty&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=c&location=9031245&gclid=CLLjtvmdlNQCFZBgfgodPccMzA&gclsrc=aw.ds

joosttx
05-28-2017, 11:50 PM
freeze them

AllanVarcoe
05-29-2017, 12:25 AM
when I rode BMX more and lived in NY, I'd throw my shoes in the back step in the winter when I knew it wasn't going to snow. Didn't do much. I have however washed my shoes in the washing machine with good results. Key for me has been drying them quickly! Wash them early on a sunny day and keep them in the sun all day.

moobikes
05-29-2017, 06:36 AM
2 capfuls of bleach, 1 gallon of water, soak for 5 minutes, scrub with any soap at hand and brush, rinse very well, dry. I bet 2 dead puppies the stink will be gone.

OldCrank
05-29-2017, 06:46 AM
My Giros were getting pretty Funkadelic, and were on their way to banishment after a rain-a-thon.

Rinsed out the sand, squeezed out what I could into a towel, few hours of sun then newspapers overnight.
I was afraid extending the soak would hurt them.
Then a bit of strong (not straight) oxyclean for a few hours.
Bucket rinse, squeeze out the soap, clear water rinse, repeat a few times.
Repeat the sunshine-then-newspapers-at-night until they're dry.

Fresh as a daisy. Sorta.

ColonelJLloyd
05-29-2017, 08:04 AM
I've filled with baking soda then frozen an old pair of Birks that got funky and it didn't do much.

When my kitchen sponge gets funky I boil it and it works. Bring a big stock pot to boil, remove from heat and drop those puppies in for a couple minutes? Worth a try. If you have a steamer in you house I suppose you could try that for a little more targeted approach.

AngryScientist
05-29-2017, 08:21 AM
thanks guys, some good ideas here.

i just took advantage of that ebay 20% coupon and ordered a new set of sidis, these old shoes are going to be put on the back burner for a while i think, so i can try a few options to get the funk out.

djg21
05-29-2017, 09:07 AM
I have a set of convection boot dryers for my ski boots, https://www.rei.com/product/891154/dryguy-travel-boot-dryer. They work great in my cycling shoes when they get wet.

Joachim
05-29-2017, 09:51 AM
This... Dry shoes and remove stink.... Not sure if it's too late already but it has work wonders for me

http://www.peetdryer.com/original-peet.html

jimcav
05-29-2017, 09:21 PM
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005ML8J8C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&th=1

I also now exclusively use merino wool socks and that has kept my feet on-stinky!

hobbanero
05-31-2017, 07:54 PM
I have a couple of friends who just remove their insoles and throw the shoes in the washing machine, then let them air dry. No damage so far, and their shoes are sparkling.

shovelhd
05-31-2017, 08:31 PM
You won't get the stink if you use newspapers within an hour of taking them off wet.

Saint Vitus
05-31-2017, 09:18 PM
thanks guys, some good ideas here.

i just took advantage of that ebay 20% coupon and ordered a new set of sidis, these old shoes are going to be put on the back burner for a while i think, so i can try a few options to get the funk out.

Yes, smart move. Placing them on the back burner and set it to high. Fire cures all smells :D

dpk501
05-31-2017, 11:21 PM
Sometimes it's beyond repair.

My fave methods steps:

Saturate with cheap vodka and air dry.
Handheld clothes steamer for porous areas.
Charcoal in a sock into the shoe when all dry.
Tea tree oil and mint oil to help with any mustiness

All very bactericidal and deodorizes. This has saved a few pairs of sneakers for me.

dgauthier
06-01-2017, 06:05 AM

Yes, bad idea. The uppers could separate from the soles if you compromise the glue.

You should be able to find care instructions on the shoe manufacturer's web site. If the manufacturer says you can wash them in the washing machine, go for it.

If the manufacturer has odor reduction instructions, follow those. Otherwise, remove the insoles and sprinkle baking soda inside the shoes and leave overnight. Shake out the excess in the morning. If that doesn't work, pack the shoes with orange peels and leave overnight.

In the future, be sure to follow the manufacturer's instructions for drying your new shoes when they get soaked.