PDA

View Full Version : New shoes, new squeak

NHAero
05-28-2017, 10:51 AM
New squeak while pedaling on my ride today. Newest thing is a new pair of shoes and new cleats (Eggbeater pedals). Swapped to the old pair of shoes, no squeak. Put the new shoes back on, and rode the other bike with Eggbeaters - no squeak. So something about the new cleats and one pair of the Eggbeaters squeaks.

Thoughts on how to cure this squeak would be appreciated.

sales guy
05-28-2017, 11:14 AM
If the cleats are new, it's probably the cleats. a bit of lube or grease and that should solve it.

The cleats are brass and they squeak when new and not lubed

Tickdoc
05-28-2017, 11:34 AM
Ch ck the buckles. My fiziks developed a nasty little squeak after a crash that I thought for sure was the cleats and ended up being the buckles

NHAero
05-28-2017, 12:29 PM
That's an interesting piece of data about the buckles! These shoes are Diadora and my first with the Boa closures, which are great. I didn't have the squeak with the same shows on the second bike, so I'm thinking it is at the cleat/pedal interface, as Sales Guy suggests.

Ch ck the buckles. My fiziks developed a nasty little squeak after a crash that I thought for sure was the cleats and ended up being the buckles

Catman
05-28-2017, 03:31 PM
Put grease on threads before tightening and lightly on all contact surfaces. You'll get a tighter connection and it'll be less likely to loosen.

Or just ditch the fancy cleats for SPDs...

Both solutions work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk